MHPHOCKEY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanwei
Hey Mike,

Let me run something by you... you said "no tricking the system"... Here are my thoughts...

Usually... when you buy a new phone with a new contract... but cancel the contract within the 15 day trial period and return the phone... there are no costs except for the usage during those days that you had the service.

And during that return, if you decide you want to keep the phone (hardware) then VZW simply charges you the full retail value of the phone and you can keep it.

Now... my dilemma is this: I can only upgrade to the BB by paying full retail... but the only way I can get the BB in my hands by Tuesday is to order it online on Sunday with a plan...Can I simply cancel the plan at a store after receiving the phone on Tuesday... and tell them I'm keeping the phone? ...which will prompt them to say that they will have to charge me the full retail price of the phone... which I will gladly say "great!"?

This isn't technically tricking the system... since I "could" be a new customer purchasing a new BB with a new plan... and after having received the BB decided that I no longer wanted the plan... cancelled the plan.... and decided to keep the BB by paying full retail...

What do you say? This seems to be the only way to get the BB without waiting until October :( Unless CS is able to take orders over the phone on Sunday... which it sounds like they won't.

Hanwei
Do you not want a plan with the phone? I am kind of confused.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:33 AM   #802
InPocket
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHPHOCKEY
im assuming he has a plan, but cant upgrade

he hassumi (sp?) see if you qualify for the merits program.. you can get an early upgrade with it and its free (the program)
Old 09-16-2006, 12:33 AM   #803
Hanwei

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPocket
Im not sure, but logistically speaking that seems plausible
Well... if Step #1 doesn't work... I'm doing Step #2... and if they can't charge me at the store... I'll just tell them that I'm keeping the BB... and they can charge me when they are able to! ha!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:34 AM   #804
MHPHOCKEY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
ill just say "windows mobile. credit now."

they are closed now, but whats the benefit of a "business account"..? I own a small business..but I currently have no emplyees.. just me and a partner.. and I got my business phones through sprint (Sero plan...awsome stuff)
The business account has (to my knowledge) no line minimum. You have to register under the Federal Tax ID (versus a personal account under a social). Once you do that and sign the Small Business agreement, then you can receive discounted plans and phones, along with 25% off accessories. It was really easy to switch today and there was no downside for my business of 12 numbers. They will especially hook you up if your swap service!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:35 AM   #805
MHPHOCKEY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Well... if Step #1 doesn't work... I'm doing Step #2... and if they can't charge me at the store... I'll just tell them that I'm keeping the BB... and they can charge me when they are able to! ha!

I think when you agree to the 2 yr contract/15 day trial there is some fine print about the phone and the retail price and etc
Old 09-16-2006, 12:35 AM   #806
InPocket

Quote:
you know what, your goddamn right. Any expense for a working business tool is absolutly worth it. I would pay just about any cost to get away from this piece of shit XV6700.

Im with you on this! 1 or 2 here I come!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:40 AM   #807
MHPHOCKEY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
you know what, your goddamn right. Any expense for a working business tool is absolutly worth it. I would pay just about any cost to get away from this piece of shit XV6700.

I assume you are on VZW already. My suggestion is to call tech support and tell them that you are fed up with your LG and that you NEED the 8703...They will help you arrange the upgrade, but you should be on a business account if you have a tax id. if you are on a business account it is real easy to talk a rep into an upgrade.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:41 AM   #808
Hanwei

Quote:
hehe...InPocket's correct... I already have a plan (Q) and don't have an early upgrade option right now. I just want to pay full retail for the BB and swap phones. (throw away my Q).

Quote:
he hassumi (sp?) see if you qualify for the merits program.. you can get an early upgrade with it and its free (the program)
You talkin to me? hehe... How do I see if I qualify? Is there a link I have to go to?

Quote:
I think when you agree to the 2 yr contract/15 day trial there is some fine print about the phone and the retail price and etc
Do you mean that the fine print may say that I can't cancel the plan and keep the phone?

Quote:

I'm using the Q and I can't wait to throw it out the window.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:41 AM   #809
InPocket

Quote:
I assume you are on VZW already. My suggestion is to call tech support and tell them that you are fed up with your LG and that you NEED the 8703...They will help you arrange the upgrade, but you should be on a business account if you have a tax id. if you are on a business account it is real easy to talk a rep into an upgrade.
i do have a tax id, but is there any benefit of a business "program" orr any requirements?? google time..
Old 09-16-2006, 12:45 AM   #810
MHPHOCKEY
Thumbs Must Hurt

H:

Ok, yes throw away the Q it is an amazing design, but it is crap on function. READ THE FINE PRINT before you try and mess with Verizon. There should be a way to get them to take back/cancel the Q and allow you to get the 8703 because you are miserable...it is just a matter of getting the right person on the phone and saying the right things.

Inpocket:

The business program is the same, but it give verizon a bit more security, knowing you wont transfer, and most importantly the hope of expansion. therefore, they give discounts on accessories, phones, and rate plans.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:45 AM   #811
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

apparently i have had the capability to upgrade my phone on one of my lines since 2004 and never new about it. thats what i'll be using unless, i have a better corp. discount

Last edited by itsj; 09-16-2006 at 01:05 AM..
Old 09-16-2006, 12:47 AM   #812
MHPHOCKEY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsj
apparently i have had the capability to upgrade my phone on one of my line since 2004 and never new about it. thats what i'll be using unless, i have a better corp. discount

Then besides a great NFL Sunday (not to mention the NCAA games tomorrow) you will have a good day with your phone!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:50 AM   #813
InPocket

ok.

so switch to a business program. check - thanks
https://merits.vzw.com/registration.aspx try this
Old 09-16-2006, 12:51 AM   #814
Hanwei

Quote:
H:

Ok, yes throw away the Q it is an amazing design, but it is crap on function. READ THE FINE PRINT before you try and mess with Verizon. There should be a way to get them to take back/cancel the Q and allow you to get the 8703 because you are miserable...it is just a matter of getting the right person on the phone and saying the right things.
So you're saying I should try Step 1... try to get them to simply take my Q back in exchange for a BB... hehe... That's a good idea.

If that doesn't work... I'll see if they will simply order one for me full retail... and if that doesn't work... I'm on to Step 2.

now to do a little research on the fine print!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:54 AM   #815
Hanwei

Quote:
ok.

so switch to a business program. check - thanks
https://merits.vzw.com/registration.aspx try this
Crap. Didn't work. Not eligible. How do I become eligible?
Old 09-16-2006, 12:54 AM   #816
MHPHOCKEY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
So you're saying I should try Step 1... try to get them to simply take my Q back in exchange for a BB... hehe... That's a good idea.

If that doesn't work... I'll see if they will simply order one for me full retail... and if that doesn't work... I'm on to Step 2.

Honestly, there have been so many issues with the Q that if you are stubborn enough then they should allow you to at least pay for a new 8703e early. I would be shocked if they didnt. VZW is actually very good with customers needs and problems
Old 09-16-2006, 12:54 AM   #817
InPocket

Quote:

but here is the fine print

YOUR CALLING PLANS BECOME PART OF THIS AGREEMENT. The prices you pay may depend in part on how long-the minimum term-you're agreeing in advance to do business with us. Calling plans describe these prices and your minimum term. To the extent any condition in your calling plan expressly conflicts with this agreement, the condition in your calling plan will govern. If at any time you change your service (by accepting a promotion, for example), you'll be subject to any requirements, such as a new minimum term, we set for that change.

Eligibilty for merits

Q. How was I chosen to participate in the Merits Program?
A.The Merits program is our way of thanking our most valued customers. To qualify, you need to:

- Have 5 lines or less on your account
- Have been a customer for 6 months without suspensions
- Have been on one of the following Calling Plans for 3 consecutive months:
- a Single-line Calling Plan with a monthly access of $79.99 or higher

-or-
- a primary line on a Family SharePlan®, with monthly access of $79.99 or above
Old 09-16-2006, 12:57 AM   #818
MHPHOCKEY
Thumbs Must Hurt

fine print blows
Old 09-16-2006, 01:01 AM   #819
InPocket

2am, sleep time, too many posts. adios.

good luck everyone.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:10 AM   #820
Hanwei

Quote:
but here is the fine print

YOUR CALLING PLANS BECOME PART OF THIS AGREEMENT. The prices you pay may depend in part on how long-the minimum term-you're agreeing in advance to do business with us. Calling plans describe these prices and your minimum term. To the extent any condition in your calling plan expressly conflicts with this agreement, the condition in your calling plan will govern. If at any time you change your service (by accepting a promotion, for example), you'll be subject to any requirements, such as a new minimum term, we set for that change.
This is what I found for Fine Print:

Your Rights To Refuse Or Cancel This Agreement

THIS AGREEMENT STARTS WHEN YOU ACCEPT .
· Give us a written or electronic signature;
· Tell us orally or electronically that you accept;
· Activate your service through your wireless phone;
· Open a package that says you are accepting by opening it; or
· Use your service after making any change or addition when we've told you that the change or addition requires acceptance.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ACCEPT, DON'T DO ANY OF THESE THINGS. You can cancel (if you're a new customer) or go back to the conditions of your former customer agreement (if you're already a customer) without additional fees if you tell us (and return to us in good condition any wireless phone you got from us with your new service) WITHIN 15 DAYS of accepting. You'll still be responsible through that date for the new service and any charges associated with it.

What does that mean?! it says in order to cancel the plan within the 15 days I have to return the phone as well. But in my almost 10 years with VZW I've always had CS tell me that they would simply charge me full retail if I wanted to keep the hardware... hmm... I'm going to go with my experience and do Step 2 if Step 1 doesn't work.

Quote:
Eligibilty for merits

Q. How was I chosen to participate in the Merits Program?
A.The Merits program is our way of thanking our most valued customers. To qualify, you need to:

- Have 5 lines or less on your account
- Have been a customer for 6 months without suspensions
- Have been on one of the following Calling Plans for 3 consecutive months:
- a Single-line Calling Plan with a monthly access of $79.99 or higher

-or-
- a primary line on a Family SharePlan®, with monthly access of $79.99 or above
Ah... okay. I have the $39/month calling plan. Oh well.
Closed Thread