Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T
Default Ascendo Data Vault Feature Request

Please Login to Remove!

First of all, a new user comment for Data Vault. The pictures you see on line for this application do not do it justice. It has a tree view mode, which makes access to data so much better than what is shown in the screen shots. The screen shots show nothing but clutter, and in reality, you have a tree mode where you can pick a record from a list of records, and see just that record easily just like a good database screen.

I found Data Vault to be another one of these must-have applications, where once you get into it, you wonder how you lived without it. I'd say the application is darn near feature complete. However, I do have one feature which I feel is missing and would make the product notably better.

First let me briefly explain a simple use of the app, so my suggestion is well understood and grounded.

Data Vault allows you to create templates, essentially mini databases modeled after the information you would like to store. As an example, I have a database which stores credit cards. It asks for common information needed to hold all the credit card information you'd expect you'd need access to. That means the fields I have are the name of the bank, my name, the credit card number, the exp date, the csv, the 800 number of the bank, the limit, and so on. So that mini database is geared to credit card related fields of information. We can all relate to this. But, there is more you can do, and that's where my feature request comes into view.

I have clients that have personal FTP accounts on my FTP server. I have well over 60 of these accounts. And so I created a mini database which has fields created for the host name, the ftp user ID, the password, the folder location, and so on. But what would make this Data Vault really sing, is if I could email a record to a client. What I mean is, a client will ask me the following question; what are my login credentials on your FTP server? I'd like to find that client's FTP record on DataVault in tree mode, so I am highlighting their record, and then option click and see an option to email that record, unprotected. So the data in that record is added to a new email which has the field names and the field data in text and in portrait view, not cell view from left to right, and ready to send to the client. I can even use the notes field to give pre-formatted user instructions in how to use the FTP credentials.

So basically, I want the option to send an entire record integrated into DataVault. Whatever I have in the record, ought to become the body of text in an email. That would make this product soar to the status of legendary in my opinion.

Best regards,

Alex Alexzander

Last edited by Alex Alexzander; 10-03-2007 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: simple rewording
Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

I directed the developer to this post.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Thanks,

Great forum by the way. Good to see such support by the vendors taking part in these forums. Part of the reason I am so hooked on the Blackberry.

Best,

Alex
Old 10-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
BerryCool
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks Alex (and Stinsonddog for bringing it to our attention),

[Alex wrote] "So basically, I want the option to send an entire record integrated into DataVault."
That's a really good idea. We are discussing it now for possible inclusion in the next maintenance release.

[Alex wrote] "The pictures you see on line for this application do not do it justice."
We just posted a new revision of the user guide. Click here for online and here for links to to PDF download.

Marc
Ascendo Inc.
Ascendo DataVault - Password Manager for BlackBerry

Last edited by BerryCool; 11-09-2007 at 10:15 AM..
Old 10-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Thanks Ascendo,

You truly have a great product here. Much more useful than storing protected information I think.

I created a database to hold my Blackberry reg codes and purchase information. Another to hold web site logins, which I have 39 records for now. One for FTP accounts, which is over 50 records or 60 records. I created one yesterday for logging support call information, so next time I call Adobe, or anyone else for a support issue, I can log the company, the date, the case ID, and the problem as well as the status.

I have been able to move all the random information loosely collected and stored on my PC as text files into the DataVault and as a result I have the information with me at all times on the Blackberry, as well as easier to access when on my PC as it is in one place.

In fact, yesterday as I was thinking about other uses, I realized each client I have typically has multiple delivery locations. These are random kinds of information that normal contact management does work well with. So I started creating a tiny database for clients with various delivery locations for the products we ship. I can now call a client, and say something like, would you like this shipped to where we shipped xyz? As I have a record of the various ship to locations and what orders were shipped where.

Little databases, are not just for credit cards, and reg codes or driver's licenses. It can be used to store all your DMV information. Which cars you have. Their license plates. The registration dates, and expire dates. Next scheduled tune up. And on and on. I can think of tons of uses for this.

I just hope I don't run out of memory!

Best,

Alex
Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
BerryCool
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Sending Items by Email using DataVault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
So basically, I want the option to send an entire record integrated into DataVault. Whatever I have in the record, ought to become the body of text in an email. That would make this product soar to the status of legendary in my opinion.
We have added the ability to send items as emails to Version 4.3 of Ascendo DataVault. To use the feature, go to List or Tree View, scroll to an item, open it, click on the BlackBerry menu key or track wheel and select "Send by Email".

Marc
Ascendo Inc.

Last edited by BerryCool; 11-15-2007 at 09:27 AM..
Old 11-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
BerryCool
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Sending Items by Email using DataVault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
So basically, I want the option to send an entire record integrated into DataVault.
In addition to sending items as unencrypted emails, as Alex requested, Version 4 of DataVault provides several ways to share information using encrypted, password-protected formats.
- You can send an item as an email and the recipient can load it directly into DataVault.
- You can create DataVault Exchange files (*.dvx) containing items that can be imported by other users. This can be useful for distributing logins to a work group.
- You can "beam" an item to another user via BlueTooth. This can be useful for sharing credit card information, insurance information, etc. with family members.

Click here to see a complete list of new features and improvements.

Marc
Ascendo Inc.

Last edited by BerryCool; 11-15-2007 at 09:24 AM..
Old 11-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
donncon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I recognize that this isn't a "Praise Datavault" thread...but.... I recently switched to a BB after many years of Palm followed by PPC. I used a product called Secret for most of that time. It had a desktop and pda component. Since they don't support BB, I went searching for another product to replace it. One of my favorite features of Datavault is the ability to enter a fairly large amount of freeform data (which is how most of mine is stored in Secret). When I tested ver 4.2.2, you couldn't scroll through this data on the desktop...but in 4.3 you can. Datavault is a great product that I am glad I found!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:07 AM   #9
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

I want to thank Ascendo. This new feature of sending data from the datebase as an email is so right on and perfect. I store FTP login information specific to all my clients. And somewhat often, I am asked for it. I needed to do more than merely look up the information, I needed to send it to various people at will, and now I have it.

DataVault is perfect for keep my login information, licenses for software, FTP accounts, all my domain access accounts, and so on.

The application is feature complete as far as I am concerned!

Thank you so much!!

Alex Alexzander
Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
enrogue
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Feature Request

Request:

I would like to request that the Internet Explorer Add-on be optional during installation. Personally, I like to keep my machine free of toolbars, etc that I don't intend to use.

Thanks,

EnR
Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
johnling
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: Cushion
Default Thousands of Uses

DataVault has so many uses that I think this thread needs to be a sticky! Share our DataVault uses.

1) I have 14 wireless devices. I use a MAC filter on my router as an additional form of security. I also have a database of all the MAC numbers I allow through my router. I have a sub of the friends I let in when they visit. No more looking for that printout or the file I saved under what name was that.

2) I also have all the gadgets I have listed with S.N. battery numbers etc. Laptops, phones, camcorders, handhealds, cameras and so on.

3) There are family member info in case of emergency, insurance policy info, ss no's and meds they may take.

DataVault is a must have - Pick up your phone and go and you have all the information you could ever need with you.

9700, 8520 & Pearl -T-Mobile

Last edited by johnling; 11-19-2007 at 06:04 PM..
Closed Thread