BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
forrestc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Earthlink 7250 for $199 - Is Verizon the real carrier? - too good to be true?

Please Login to Remove!

Searched the forums and found -some- info on this, but nothing conclusive..

I currently have a 7250 on Verizon (aka VZW) through my company. I am leaving the company in October, they have agreed to let me port my number to a personal VZW account -or- to another provider.

I am in Richmond, VA - the service here is ok, but VZW is way above all others here for coverage, signal strength, etc. GSM coverage is no good here - the coverage stinks in the outlying areas.

VZW offers the 7250 for $299 with 2 year activation. That's a bit too much contract for me.

Karbon offers the 7250 on Earthlink for $199
http://www.karbonsystems.com/BlackBe...etail-267.html

Service pricing is similar to VZW's and they use the VZW teminology to describe the service, "America's Choice"

I called Earthlink, they say their service is through Verizon.

Is anyone out there using service through Earthlink? In all of the discussions I found in the forums, people complained the the earthlink coverage map looked weak (http://www.earthlink.net/wireless/bb...250/coverage/), but it looks the same as VZW's Enhanced Services map to me (http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/maps/national/enh.gif)

Compared to TMobile & Cingular's nationwide maps, Earthlink doesn't seem any worse than any of the other carriers. Cingular's is the only one that seems dramatically better.

I just need some feedback on this before I go for it with Earthlink.

Thanks in advance,
-forrest
Old 07-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
yrboij

Model: 7520

Have you considered going with Nextel? I seem to remember hearing they invested heavily in the Richmond area.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:12 AM   #3
katya

Model: 7250

I have a 7250 with EarthLink on the data plan and a voice plan on my cell phone with Verizon. (waiting for my voice contract with Verizon to expire and will "port" that to EarthLink as well)

Since I am carrying both devices right now I can tell you that the coverage is EXACTLY the same here on the west coast of the US for EarthLink and Verizon. I have strong coverage in all the rural areas I travel with EarthLink and am quite satisfied with their service. As a newbie I had a couple calls to tech support and found EarthLink to be light-years better than Verizon in attitude, knowledge, and "taking ownership" of the question/problem/solution. I also did a cost analysis between the two and found that EarthLink is a bit less expensive than Verizon on the 500 minute plan and both carriers are within $0.01/per minute of each other on the other plans.

I have been a Verizon (AirTouch) customer since 1995 and just as soon as my contract is up I am outta here to EarthLink for my mobile voice & data services.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
navyman

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

I got two blackberries from Karbonsystems.com a few weeks ago, one for myself and the other for my wife, both at $199 each with 12-mo. committments. So far, there seems to be no reason to regret not going with Verizon. We love the blackberries and the network coverage is identical to what I enjoyed when I previously used the Samsung i700 via Verizon (we live in Southern Maryland, about 3 hrs north of Richmond). Since my wife and I are deaf, we only subscribe to the data plan. The default voice plan with the data plan is "pay as you go" at .45 cents a minute, which is higher than Verizon's .25 cents/min.

Now, only if Verizon would get us a CDMA modem driver so I could use the blackberry as a laptop modem......
Old 09-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
AL904
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

If you get the Earthlink Blackberry (without voice minutes) plan, do you still have voice ability on a pay-as-you-go (outrageous per minute) basis? Voice mail?

Does your Earthlink-assigned phone number come from the pool of Verizon phone numbers for your area, or does Earthlink have its own blocks of numbers in various markets?

Old 09-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #6
katya

Model: 7250

I have an Earthlink Blackberry on a unlimited data only plan. I have not actually used the phone but it does work - can dial a number and it rings and all. The voice mail also appears to be functional. In California the unlimited data plan only plan is $39.95 and Pay-As-You-Go voice is $0.45 per minute in network, $0.60 per minute roaming.

Earthlink did assign a number to me and it does not appear to be a Verizon-style number for this area. When my Verizon cell phone contract expires I plan on switching my voice service to the BB. Earthlink told me I could port my number at that time.

I am very happy with Earthlink as my BB carrier. Great coverage and customer service.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:04 AM   #7
AL904
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Thanks, katya!

In a few days, my signature will change to include "using 7250 with Earthlink."

Old 09-02-2005, 06:56 AM   #8
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL904
Thanks, katya!

In a few days, my signature will change to include "using 7250 with Earthlink."
I got my 7250 from Verizon for $199. They give you a $100 on a phone purchase every 2 years (atleast in NC/SC region)

Shad

Kindness Is The Ability To Love
Closed Thread