BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Serkle K
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: ... --- ...
Carrier: AT&T
Default 9800 screen vs. 9000 screen? oh, and audio.

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, so get this... I still have my 9000. Crazy right? I know I'm not like "everyone else" and I don't have all the latest and greatest that drops every 5 minutes. I actually have to make my purchases count.

So I have my 9000 and while I haven't done it in a while, I have watched movies on it, and i have to say, it is amazing!! Kinda small, but it gets the job done.

I keep hearing about the 9800 screen not being up to par, or no better then the 9700. But I dont have a 9700, so I dont know if there's a difference in the screen quality.

For those of you that have had a chance to "extensively" test it with the 9800, and once had the 9000, how is it? Aside from the obvious, it being a bigger screen in terms of real estate.

Better, just better, way better, blows it away?

I've been anticipating the touch/full qwerty device since a few months after I had my Bold. Mainly because I am so happy with my Bold, that I couldn't imagine anything better, until now.

I was going to get a 9700, but with my contract just expiring, and up for an upgrade, I figured I can go with this.

I used to have a winmo device. went to a BB, and haven't looked elsewhere since. The full qwerty made for a better experience compaired to my last device, and now that I can have the best of both worlds, I want to give a touch screen another chance.

But for me the next this is the screen. I have yet to make my way over to a store to check it out, but i figured i'd ask the "more experienced" as well.

Also, hows the audio quality between the 2? I've heard that qhen the 9700 came along, it was not a great as the 9000. At the same time I haven't heard much of a comparison of the audio quality between the 9800 and the 9700 either.

TIA.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Well, its not been released yet, so the best way is to find the engadget or boygenius reviews and look at them.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
jcp007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Get the Torch instead of the 9700. Sound quality at full volume is much better. The video quality is better especially with more screen real estate. Please see my review in this forum and maybe some of your questions will be answered.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
jtsunami09876

Carrier: At&t

get the droid 2 on august 12th instead, almost double the processor speed, hdmi out, all the bells and whistles, forget about this dinosaur phone.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Serkle K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsunami09876 View Post
get the droid 2 on august 12th instead, almost double the processor speed, hdmi out, all the bells and whistles, forget about this dinosaur phone.
um.. no.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Serkle K

The audio is amazingly loud and crisp. I can see myself using it like I use my 9000 for the media player when I need it.

The video/screen will be more then enough for me. Its a phone. I only need it to hold me over, not to be my main entertainment display.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Attila The Hun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T,Orang

Quote:
don't like side slide,
what about international massaging by blackberry? and so on
I wish the Motorola droid X was GSM.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
Attila The Hun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T,Orang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
Well, its not been released yet, so the best way is to find the engadget or boygenius reviews and look at them.
is they are not too bad, but they over see the iphone 4 antena problem
Old 08-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #9
Berry_Black
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile Netherlands

I have had them all, the 9000, the 9700, Storm 2 and now the 9800
Beside the bigger screen compared to the 9000 the resolution aint better. The screen is good, movies look great but beside bigger not much better.
Sound is great... volume is good. Absolute the same or better then the 9000. Typing is a different story, I found out that most of the times I do not open the slider but only use the screen keyboard. Only when I have to type a long mail I use the slider keyboard.

Overall, I am very happy with this new model. It looks sexy, it works smooth. The 6.0 software is really amazing good!

So, the 9000 is a good phone... but the fun factor for this 9800 is really high. And beside the fun it is still a good quality phone!

Hope this helps you to choose ...
Old 08-11-2010, 02:33 AM   #10
eugenedabeast

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkle K View Post
um.. no.
he's got a point though, stop sounding like such a fanboy with your stupid ..'s and realize that your blackberry 9800 is honestly ancient compared to the droid 2.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
darkamikaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20d94251
Carrier: AT&T or Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenedabeast View Post
he's got a point though, stop sounding like such a fanboy with your stupid ..'s and realize that your blackberry 9800 is honestly ancient compared to the droid 2.
Ancient? -sigh- Where is there a point when it all depends on what a person is looking for :/ I don't get why people come in the forums bashing a phone when different phones offer different services. It all boils down to what you want to do with your phone. Clearly, this thread was about 9800 screen v. 9000.. (see what I did there with the dots) so I personally don't see a point in what you're saying especially when you call someone a "fanboy" in the BLACKBERRY FORUMS.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #12
VRaptor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Where do these people come from? If I didn't like something I wouldn't waste my time signing up for a forum. life's too short.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
Serkle K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry_Black View Post
I have had them all, the 9000, the 9700, Storm 2 and now the 9800
Beside the bigger screen compared to the 9000 the resolution aint better. The screen is good, movies look great but beside bigger not much better.
Sound is great... volume is good. Absolute the same or better then the 9000. Typing is a different story, I found out that most of the times I do not open the slider but only use the screen keyboard. Only when I have to type a long mail I use the slider keyboard.

Overall, I am very happy with this new model. It looks sexy, it works smooth. The 6.0 software is really amazing good!

So, the 9000 is a good phone... but the fun factor for this 9800 is really high. And beside the fun it is still a good quality phone!

Hope this helps you to choose ...
Thanks for your input. I actually might end up getting the device. I was blown away by the 9000 when I was looking to upgrade from my last WinMo device 3 years ago. From all that I was reading from REAL PEOPLE, that ACTUALLY use the device for it's use and not a "mine is bigger" contest, I finally went and tested one out. It's a long "review" of my first impressions hand on, in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkamikaze View Post
Ancient? -sigh- Where is there a point when it all depends on what a person is looking for :/ I don't get why people come in the forums bashing a phone when different phones offer different services. It all boils down to what you want to do with your phone. Clearly, this thread was about 9800 screen v. 9000.. (see what I did there with the dots) so I personally don't see a point in what you're saying especially when you call someone a "fanboy" in the BLACKBERRY FORUMS.
Thank you! I could understand if I asked this over on Howard Forums, and I got this answer, that's and overall open forum for wireless and it's related gadgets. But seriously? On a BlackBerry forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaptor View Post
Where do these people come from? If I didn't like something I wouldn't waste my time signing up for a forum. life's too short.
I think some people are just trying to compensate for something missing or lacking in their real lives, that they need to come to an internet forum to seek attention by trying to speak down on or to other people, since they can hide behind a keyboard & mouse.

Last edited by Serkle K; 08-11-2010 at 06:49 AM..
Old 08-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #14
Serkle K

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenedabeast View Post
I don't like the Droid. It's not for me. I'm a practical person, and I need my phone to be practical. I have a BlackBerry, and I want to upgrade to another one. That's why I asked a question involving 2 BlackBerrys.

I'm a "fanboy" because I seek advice on a product that I know others have had actual EXPERIENCE with? Where I come from, it's called research, which leads to making an educated decision.

I see from your post count, and registration date on this forum, that you are more of a fanboy by your current device and lack of experience here.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
gtivr6r
Thumbs Must Hurt

I stopped by an AT&T store last night and compaired my 9000 side by side to the Torch.

Display - is exactly the same quaility as the 9000, just bigger.

Sounds - is exactly the same as the 9000.

The OS is very slick and cool and during my 1 hr plus tinkering/exploreing
I never once had it lag, slow down, freeze or do anything unusual.
Seems to be every bit as dependable as my 9000.

Its slightly narrower than the Bold 9000, so it fits into the leather case of
the Bold 9000 very nicely, no need to buy a new case.

I will be getting new car adapter and a couple extra USB to micro UBS cables
for home and work. Thats the only other accessories I'd get. And a screen
condom or film or what ever its called when they come out. The screen does get kind finger printy and smuggy.

Can't wait for Thursday!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #16
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

BlackBerry - Compare 9800 and 9000 (RIM)
Old 08-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
darkamikaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20d94251
Carrier: AT&T or Cingular

the bb 9000 had a pretty good screen for it's time and with that link I noticed the resolution is just a little if not even noticeably better.. UGH. I'm so confused on what to buy lol
Old 08-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #18
wifiberry

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkle K View Post
I don't like the Droid. It's not for me. I'm a practical person, and I need my phone to be practical.
I have been using an Android powered smartphone for some time now. Compared to my iPhone 4 and BB 9700 I'm also using, I find my current Android phone, the Droid X to be especially practical.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #19
Serkle K

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifiberry View Post
I have been using an Android powered smartphone for some time now. Compared to my iPhone 4 and BB 9700 I'm also using, I find my current Android phone, the Droid X to be especially practical.
it's great to hear it works for you. but unlike you, I only need one device. Its not practical for me to shell out money for 2 or 3 devices when I can only use one at a time.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #20
andriver
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: What's that?

Quote:
Got it and had it for 1 day. It was not for me. If you are looking for a multi-media phone, it's for you. I need mine for business so I am sticking with BB.
Closed Thread