BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
tosa68

Model: 7130c
Carrier: Cingular
Question Bluetooth drops after 2 seconds into call

Please Login to Remove!

I have a 7130c (Cingular) with the Plantronics 655 bluetooth headset. I had been using the headset without problem for months, then recently things started acting up. Now when I try to place a call, the BT audio connection is established, then dropped about 2-5 seconds into the call. The headset itself remains paired and connected, but for whatever reason the audio drops back to the handset. The next call attempt produces the same results. I have the headset set to trusted.

I've searched here and see similar references to this happening on 8700g and perhaps even the Pearl? I've also looked on RIM, pinstack, howardforums, cingular forums and find similar posts, but so far NO solutions.

I just updated my BB to Cingular's latest OS (542/4.1.0.381) which is the latest OS for this device from any carrier. Still having the same problem. I've done a bajillion different combinations of restarts (soft restarts, hard resets; with BT headset removed, with it added; with BB BT enabled, with it disabled; etc). I've even removed other apps (e.g. GoogleTalk) just in case there was an apps issue (and repeated combinations of restarts). I use the Zen theme, but reverted to the Cingular theme and still the same problem. I've re-paired my old Motorola H700 (which used to work fine also) and still the same problem. Same problem when paired with my Garmin nuvi. Given the same issue with multiple BT headsets/audio devices and given similar issues with other BB's, I'm pretty darn certain it's the BB.

Any suggestions out there?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Are both headsets fully charged (sounds like a silly question but this happened to me)? Do you have you phone on the opposite side of where you wear the BT headset? I have read a couple of threads indicating this as a possible source of interference. Have you contacted Blackberry directly to see if any of their techs have come across this issue? I have the Blackberry 655 and have had no issues of this kind (so far) but have read other threads in which the Blackberry branded 655 has better reception than the Plantronics.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
tosa68

At this point, no question is silly! I've been searching & trying everything possible. Yes, both have a fresh charge. Headset is typically same side as phone, though for troubleshooting I've tried other combinations. I've even tried the "re-pair at a distance" suggestion from one of the threads.

But, no, I have not yet tried contacting RIM directly. Guess that's my next move.

Thanks for the reply!!
Old 04-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sorry I couldn't give you any earth shattering info. Sounds like a hardware problem with the device. Have you tried pairing with another device as a control?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
tosa68

Could be hardware, but since this seems to be happening with other BB models, I'm thinking it's more likely firmware. My BT headsets all work with other BT devices, so it's the BB (whether h/w or f/w). I'll keep looking for an answer...

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
tosa68

Update...

Still don't really know if it's a firmware or hardware problem, but since my phone was still under warranty, I had Cingular send me a new phone. I then used DM4.2 to swap phones, so my new 7130c now has the same OS, options, settings, activation, applications, etc as the old.

And my Bluetooth is now working again!

I saw another post from the 8700g forum about a hardware replacement solving the problem. And all other posts so far indicate reloading OS, getting new OS, etc, has NOT solved the problem (and that was my experience as well). Since my original 7130c *did* work correctly for ~4 months before the BT conked out, maybe it really is a hardware issue?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:29 AM   #7
Wi1bur

Model: 7130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra
Default I have this problem too.

I'm using a 7130 (with v4.1.0.317).
The problem is exactly same as described by tosa68.
I've replaced the H700 headset but the problem persists. Maybe I need to change the BB?

Any other thoughts?
Old 05-28-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
BerryBod

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Telstra

My question is did this BT connection dropping problem get fixed?

It's obviously a BB issue; all sorts of people have the problem with numerous different types of headsets. Headsets which work fine in other situations.

It is WOEFUL that this problem exists on this otherwise great product.

When are RIM going to address the problem and provide a suitable s/w fix??
Closed Thread