Old 04-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
SmoothOperator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Memory Card Help?

Please Login to Remove!

My 16 GB memory card is running out of space and I want to expand to a larger memory card. I went on eBay and bought a Kingston Class 3 64 GB memory card, but upon insertion I had "fatal errors" and could not access the card. I cannot even format the card. I think I bought a card intended for a tablet. Sent it back and got a refund, but I still need to expand the memory. Can anyone give me some advice on which card I should look for to maximize my external memory for my Bold 9900? I don't know what is meant by Class 3, Class 4, Class X, etc.. I just want to expand from my 16 GB to 64 GB, if possible. Thanks for your help, guys.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: Memory Card Help?

What brand was the card? A lot of times, especially on eBay, you will find counterfeit cards. I would stick with well-known, trusted brands such as SanDisk, Transcend, Kingston, etc. The class number indicates read/write speeds (Class 2 is 2 Mbps, Class 4 is 4 Mbps, and so on). the lower the class, the slower the speed. Currently I have a 32 Gb class 10 card. Newegg usually has pretty fair prices on them.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]

Last edited by jsconyers; 04-05-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
SmoothOperator

The brand of card that arrived was a Kingston. It didn't work when I inserted it into my Bold 9000. Do you think a 64 GB card will work?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

64GB? See KB05461-MicroSD card sizes supported by the BlackBerry device software
Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->

Kingston offers an excellent warranty, but may not cover ebay purchase, check witth them.

Also I read somewhere that if you format the 64GB as different file system, it may be recognized, otherwise just stay at 32GB.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
alicepattinson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

I believe that Kingston is a good brand. I bought all my USB with Kingston If you're planning to buy a microSd, it's best if you dont buy it online. Just go to the nearest mall. So you can test it there.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
The brand of card that arrived was a Kingston. It didn't work when I inserted it into my Bold 9000. Do you think a 64 GB card will work?
your 9900 can only support up to a 32Gb card. Check the link aiharkness posted.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
I believe that Kingston is a good brand. I bought all my USB with Kingston If you're planning to buy a microSd, it's best if you dont buy it online. Just go to the nearest mall. So you can test it there.
This is not accurate. Almost no shops will allow you to test memory cards in the store. You must purchase them and try them at home.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
SmoothOperator

Quick update, guys. I bought a 32 GB memory card from eBay and although it is generic, it actually works in my 9900. The device formatted the card without any problem.

The next step now is to transfer everything from the smaller card to the newer one. The new card came with a USB adapter. I have an idea of how to do it, but can anyone here give step-by-step directions on how to do that? My desktop computer runs on Windows XP.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
Quick update, guys. I bought a 32 GB memory card from eBay and although it is generic, it actually works in my 9900. The device formatted the card without any problem.

The next step now is to transfer everything from the smaller card to the newer one. The new card came with a USB adapter. I have an idea of how to do it, but can anyone here give step-by-step directions on how to do that? My desktop computer runs on Windows XP.

On your PC, create a folder called "BlackBerry Media Card". Connect your BlackBerry to your PC with the old card inserted and enable mass storage mode. Copy all of the files from the BB to your "BlackBerry Media Card" folder you created.

Once all the files have been copied to that folder. swap the cards in the BlackBerry and then copy all of the files from the folder you created back to your BlackBerry. Depending on how many files and the size of them, as well as the speed of the cards, this could be a little time consuming.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
jimfraser

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers

As noted above the 9900 only supports 32GB.
Also as noted it is always a good idea to back up the memory card periodically by connecting to your computer and saving the memory card contents on your computer.
Kingston is a well recognized relaible brand for computer memory. As with BlackBerry batteries selling at half price to those in known shops, cheep memory from ebay might be suspect. I don't think I have ever seen Class 3 memory. class 4 is the lowest I have seen.
However, I think the main issue is you are trying to use a 64GB card in a device which will only recognize 32GB.
I have a 32GB class 10 in mine with no problems.

One tip: As with camera memory, it is often recomended to format the memory card as soon as it is first put in the BlackBerry so that you know that the memory card format is totally compatable with the device that it is in. I am told that there are subtle differences in fromatting and that while the generic formatting of the memory card done by the manufacturer will work 99% of the time, it is better to have the memory card formated by the device it is acutually in to be totally compatible with it.
Here are instructions on how to format your micro sdcard.
Format your media card or built-in media storage - BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 Smartphones - User Guide - BlackBerry Bold Series - 7.0
Closed Thread