Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #81
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

An easy mistake to make after adding the filters is that people forget to tell the BIS to not forward any messages except the ones that match the filters. You have to specify that "if no filters apply, do not forward messages to handheld." This procedure, for the most part, has been stopping the spam.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #82
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
An easy mistake to make after adding the filters is that people forget to tell the BIS to not forward any messages except the ones that match the filters. You have to specify that "if no filters apply, do not forward messages to handheld." This procedure, for the most part, has been stopping the spam.
Thx for posting that.

I just logged into BIS and set the option ""if no filters apply, do not forward messages to handheld." Hopefully this will stop my spam issue.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #83
John Clark
BBF Moderator

One thing to keep in mind while using this filter system is that if someone sends you a BCC'd message you will not receive it. The article posted above states that.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #84
blackberrykyle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon
Default Coincedence???

I have my BB through Verizon and started getting the spam about the same time that this thread started. Additionally, on the same day I started getting the same spam on my columbus.rr.com account. Both of these accounts had been spam-free prior to this and these stock messages are the only spam I'm getting now.

I'm not a tech guy, but can this just be a mere coincedence? If not, then how does this happen?

Thanks!

Kyle
Old 11-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #85
linuxpro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Just to update everyone rim has added new filters to the Bis & Bes servers but aren't set up properly yet this problem is being address by RIM and will be dealt with later this week this has come from a work colleague within Vodafone IT department, He said all networks are havving this problem

Old 11-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #86
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

If you are on 2.0 or above, just delete that address as you don't need it. For me I have my mail forwarded on 1.8. I like the folders. I had to use filters using the send address from my forwarded mail addresses. I thought that solved it but I am still getting a little. I think it may be forwarded mail that is slipping the spam filters from my valid accounts. The BB spam comes as a bcc. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #87
xyst

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Exclamation RIM hacked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrykyle
I'm not a tech guy, but can this just be a mere coincedence? If not, then how does this happen?
Spam, typically, has a lot to do with random guessing and/or hijacking. Your friend gets infected with a virus accidently, his address book gets "stolen", your address is now a target. Or, spammers can just simply try all combinations of addresses--they're usually using automated processes and infected computers, so it's not their time or money if they get it wrong, so who cares?

However, I don't think this is just a co-incidence.

I too started getting spam on the 11th, just like everyone here.

The difference, however, is that my setup is a little different than most people: rather than being BES integrated, or just using my @provider.blackberry.net address, I have a personal e-mail address with a personal domain name that forwards to my @provider.blackberry.net address, and I HAVE NEVER used the @provider.blackberry.net address. So, I have [email address] which forwards to [email address], and my From: address from the device is my domain.com address, follow?

The curious thing that I've found is that I've started getting this spam to BOTH addresses. The unpublished rogers one AND the personal one, both on the same day all of you started getting spammed. Given that we were all targetted on the same day, I'm tempted to think this isn't just a case of one of my friends getting infected, since all of you wouldn't be in my friends address book.

Can anyone else come up with a plausible scenario that doesn't involve some server over at RIM getting hacked?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #88
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
One thing to keep in mind while using this filter system is that if someone sends you a BCC'd message you will not receive it. The article posted above states that.
I figured just as much. I tried what you had advised earlier and even though it's been a short period time since then I have stopped getting spam. Thanks much for that.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #89
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

same here never got spam on my bb cingular. got 1 or 2 spam like last week, then a few yesterday and it wasnt even my email address.

i need my bb email cuz of gmail. so i dont want to delete it just to get rid of spam.

i think this is affecting all the carrier out there...they better have a solutions soon cuz im getting fed up with this crap.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #90
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc
same here never got spam on my bb cingular. got 1 or 2 spam like last week, then a few yesterday and it wasnt even my email address.

i need my bb email cuz of gmail. so i dont want to delete it just to get rid of spam.

i think this is affecting all the carrier out there...they better have a solutions soon cuz im getting fed up with this crap.

There is a fix....follow the instructions in the thread above for setting up filters. It works.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #91
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Ya just gotta hate them spammin freaks! Someone needs to get control of it.... 25 years in da slammer if ur a spammer????
Old 11-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #92
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I set up the filters properly and the amount of spam was reduced. However, this morning one not addressed to me got by. Another, using my address, got by but that was pt no pot surprise. It's the one that got by that bothers me.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #93
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

I have tweaked my settings accordingly as more spam got through despite the filter. Had not done as posted at the top of this page. So, we shall see how that goes. Had probably a half dozen come through today, still addressed to my BB addy as well as CCd to other random seeming addys.

If I must, I will delete the BB addy ... but, I am patient. Now that I resolved a spam issue related to a domain name I own, I have a bit more time to attend to this issue. Sigh.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 PM   #94
Mehbs

Model: 8700G
Default spam email in 8700g and not on labtop

I am getting all the spams in my 8700g but I never get any spam in my laptop.

How to configure so I get email without any spam like I am getting in my laptop. I have exchage 2003.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #95
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Is the spam arriving on the @tmo.blackberry.net address???
Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 PM   #96
Mehbs

Model: 8700G

It is coming at our work exchange email address. When it gets to laptop, it filter out to junk mail but in case of 8700g, I dont know how to move the spam email to junk box.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 11:58 PM   #97
sfo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e

Same here. I'm getting spam on the @tmo address and have never had BlackBerry spam before.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:31 AM   #98
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Default first for me

I started getting spam at my @tmo.blackberry... address recently, about a week ago. For now I have just been deleting, 2-3 a day no big deal.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:21 AM   #99
John Clark
BBF Moderator

There are several threads on this. Do a search for "spam on BB". You'll find most of them. Basically you need to set up a filter in your BIS account on your .blackberry email address. The filter needs to say if the "to" field contains your email address then forward to handheld and if the "cc" field contains your email address then forward to handheld. THEN make sure that you check the box that says, "if no filters apply do not send messages to handheld." That should take care of the spam. Most of the spam doesn't contain your address in the "to" field so this works good. Be aware that you won't receive any messages that are "BCC" to you. Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #100
troutab81
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cbell

I've been noticing spam coming to my email address. It seems to be picked up in both my Yahoo and Gmail account online, but is forwarded to my blackberry.net BIS address. As the person stated before, I just created a filter and I was golden
Closed Thread