BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #21
underskybb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

I only have bluetooth on my MacBook..... so can't try, since Desktop manager isn't available for it.... sorry
Old 02-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #22
mendes9
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Vibrate? Strong or weak.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #23
underskybb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I personally think it's not very strong.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #24
phonemonkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by underskybb
hailer
can you find out, when you receive a call on 8700c, can you choose between 1. hold the current call and 2. drop the current call and pick up the incoming call?
from what you said, #2 is not an option. in 8800, i can decide that i want to simply hang up on the person i am talking to and pick up the incoming call (i believe).
The three choices the 8700 (and I think even older devices) when a new call comes in while you're already on a call:

1) Answer new call, hold existing call
2) Answer new call, drop existing call
3) Ignore new call

You can use the menu via wheel or pearl, or the green/red keys to get this done, but I think by using the green key you default to answer and hold.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #25
Lew2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

Quote:
I only have bluetooth on my MacBook..... so can't try, since Desktop manager isn't available for it.... sorry
Oh, I thought you were just talking about generic Bluetooth file transfer. That’s what I was talking about. Your mac doesn’t let you send files via Bluetooth? There is some sort of file size limit, but I’m not sure what it is.

Media Manager in DM likely won’t work over USB, at least it doesn’t on the Pearl.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #26
AngelJo008
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

can you not even use pocketmac to transfer files via the mac to your BB?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #27
nick119
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

good read. thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #28
sfo

Model: 8703e

re: ( Edit 2: Apparently I disabled the "dial from home screen" by pressing the "BalckBerry" button when I am in the "Phone" application. There you can change many settings such as call forwarding, etc. After doing so I was able to reach to my applications by pressing their shortcut hotkeys. AWESOME! )

I'm not sure I get this.
I disabled "dial from home screen."
Now does that mean the old shortcuts (eg, B for Browser) will work? If so, what do I do? Right now all I get when I hit the B is "Assign a Speed Dial to the B Key?"

Also, to answer AngelJo008, yes. I've transferred everything.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #29
dooks88

Model: 8900
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendes9
Vibrate? Strong or weak.
comming from the blackjack which has a very strong vibrate. it will move itself off of a table. the vibrate on the 8800 is pretty weak. very similar to the pearl.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #30
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo
re: ( Edit 2: Apparently I disabled the "dial from home screen" by pressing the "BalckBerry" button when I am in the "Phone" application. There you can change many settings such as call forwarding, etc. After doing so I was able to reach to my applications by pressing their shortcut hotkeys. AWESOME! )

I'm not sure I get this.
I disabled "dial from home screen."
Now does that mean the old shortcuts (eg, B for Browser) will work? If so, what do I do? Right now all I get when I hit the B is "Assign a Speed Dial to the B Key?"

Also, to answer AngelJo008, yes. I've transferred everything.
You are pressing too hard. Lighten up the press. See my tips doc in the sticky.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #31
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default 8800 So Far

It just seems to work a little faster, a little clearer than the 8700C. Browsing, downloading, BT discovery and pairing all smoother and quicker. Call quality and volume way, way better. I'm not entirely sold yet on the trackball -- at one point it may have frozen for a few beats and it feels a little delicate -- but I don't miss the track wheel. I expected to have problems with the keyboard but actual prefer it to the 8700, although the letters and numbers printed on the keys are very small. I am just getting the hang of the GPS which works better than I expected, although it would be nice to hear it through a BT headset instead of treating passengers to the play-by-play. Over all, a definately worth it incremental advance. Main irritation is, of course, the hamstringing of the unit. No wi-fi, still stunted bluetooth, no camera. I guess it is all part of the too-clever-by-half business plan that forces us all to pledge ever higher percentages of our income to Cingular/ATT. I haven't gotten around to the added chip stuff, and it hardly seems worth it with all the contrived restictions on the unit. I know there are security issues. I am a big boy. I can handle my own security. If I am going to entrust an associate with a unit, I will likewise expect that they will be able to keep data secure when necessary. Definately a pleasant surprise. Who cares when black turtlenect and jeans aging boy-wonder gets around to gracing us all with the Iphone. I will be on the prowl for the next BB release by then!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #32
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Default My .02 cents

Please Keep in mind I am still a die hard fan of the 72xx form factor. mostly the feel in my hands and the spacious keyboard. I have been using an 8700g for about a month solidly and am still adapting to that keyboard.

I had the oppurtunity to play with an 8800 w/o a sim I just wanted to get a feel for the device itself as i think the functionality is not an issue to me.

The form factor felt very nice to me, very solid in my hands despite the thinness. It isnt all that much longer than my 8700 and not a big deal.

Comparing the 2 screen side by side the 8700 seemed crisper and clearer to me. The 8800 screen is still very nice. (Might be that I walked through a cloud of smoke before looking at the 8800!)

The keyboard at first glance I thought "WTF"! After typing about 4 paragraphs in the memos section, The keyboard while different I like very much , though I am still adapting to the 8700g keyboard. I like it! it will take time for me to adapt but no complaints other than tactile feel the keys are very slick and sometimes fingers feel they are going to slide right off, as I received my 8700 used ill assume its keys to were slick at first and after some use the slick polished feel with fade.

I have yet to really play with one set up and ready to go.

I know there are plenty people out there whom will right much better reviews I just wanted to share my own perspective. as far as physical feel of device.

I will switch as soon as TMO gets it and pass the ole 8700 to the lady
Old 02-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #33
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
No, the poster meant in the Media App of the handheld, when you have BT enabled and are paired with a desktop (or other phone) you have to initiate the receive before you try to transmit from the sender. If you are in the pictures folder and hit the menu key, you should see both a "transmit using Bluetooth" and "receiove using Bluetooth" options., At least they are there on the Pearl.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #34
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooks88
comming from the blackjack which has a very strong vibrate. it will move itself off of a table. the vibrate on the 8800 is pretty weak. very similar to the pearl.
Not ever using the Blackjack and coming from the 8700c, the 8800 vibrate funtion rocks compared to the 8700c. The whole device seems to vibrate with a more solid feel. No problems here. I do still wish that RIM would give us a ring first and then vibrate option instead of vibrate and then ring.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #35
Modeler
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Default What kind of holster does it have?

Does the 8800 come with a plastic holster standard? I really liked the 8700c holster, except for the fact that the retaining clips wear out after awhile. If the 8800 comes with a holster, how does it compare to the one that came with 8700c?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #36
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold

I find the 8800 holster nice but when I sit it digs into my stomach.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #37
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks for such a good review and the followups so far, I'm going to de-cloak for a random question.

I'm considering a second BB device w/ qwerty, mainly to be used as my remote SSH terminal (with IdokorroSSH) that would complement my Pearl.

So if you were to walk into a store and had - at the same price point - an 8700 and an 8800 to purchase, which one would you walk out the door with?

==
Regarding the comment about the sides being scratch resistant - my Pearl sides are very scratched up, much more so than any of my non-BB devices I treat identically. I do take care of my hardware, I'm not throwing it around -- the material just doesn't hold up to constant in-an-out of pocket experiences.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #38
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371
I find the 8800 holster nice but when I sit it digs into my stomach.
Gotta learn the one had twist.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #39
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
I'm considering a second BB device w/ qwerty, mainly to be used as my remote SSH terminal (with IdokorroSSH) that would complement my Pearl.

So if you were to walk into a store and had - at the same price point - an 8700 and an 8800 to purchase, which one would you walk out the door with?
For your purpose? ... The 89xx/9xxx with HSDPA.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #40
underskybb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Thanks for such a good review and the followups so far, I'm going to de-cloak for a random question.

==
Regarding the comment about the sides being scratch resistant - my Pearl sides are very scratched up, much more so than any of my non-BB devices I treat identically. I do take care of my hardware, I'm not throwing it around -- the material just doesn't hold up to constant in-an-out of pocket experiences.

8800 because I like to have the newest thing, which is a rather shallow point, but that's my honest answer. I think 8700c is faster both in performance and typing, and probably less delicate and thus more durable. 8800 has a better battery life, voice dialing, multimedia capability, and is prettier. (I don't care the trackball or the GPS.)

In regard to the metal sides, maybe it will scratch, but it can't scratch more than the plastic parts, right?