BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Cool Whew!! Almost went to the "dark side"...

Please Login to Remove!

I have to admit that I almost did a very foolish thing last night...

A member of another phone-forum that I have been a member of for several years contacted me via PM last night, and offered to trade me his week-old Apple iPhone for my 8300. I must admit that I have been toying with the idea of getting an iPhone lately, and I contacted him back that I would do the trade. I did this quickly, without thinking...and as soon as I sent the PM, I began to regret it. In fact, I had so much remorse about my decision...that I was almost relieved when he said that he was considering another members offer to include $200 cash with his Curve for the trade.

As much as I think the iPhone would be a very cool toy...and even as much as I know that I don't really need the push email capability of the BlackBerry for my daily life...I would really miss my 8300.

Every day I use it, I am impressed by something that I learn about it that I didn't know before. It is nice to have the email capability, it is nice that I have been able to load a nice array of apps on it without it getting wonky and becoming unstable, and...it is actually a great mobile phone!!! I am really glad that I didn't have to go through with my decision...
Old 08-04-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I have gone to the AT&T store THREE times now and played with the iPhone. Very dangerous to say the least. I am lucky and have a good friend as the manager at this company store. He tells me to come in and look and play all I want to get rid of the "novelty" of the device.

He bets me that I will return to my Blackberry quickly. He said that MANY people who did return were Blackberry users who just wanted something new but realised that new is not sometimes better.

My 8300 may not be as glitzy as the iPhone but it sure does its job well!

Last edited by greggebhardt; 08-04-2007 at 07:35 AM..
Old 08-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Several people in my office picked up an iPhone when they came out, and I've tried them out several times now.

No question that they're cool, pretty, impressive and have a gorgeous UI for a touch screen device.

But whether that translates to something I want to carry with me for everyday use is a totally different issue.

They're also:
- big
- heavy
- delicate
- virtually impossible to use one-handed
- having touch-screen only, there's NO tactile response, meaning that you really have to watch closely as use "dial" a phone number.

I'm really impressed with iPhone, and they're cool to play with. But in the end, I would hate to carry it around all day in my pocket or on my belt, and I would find it incredibly cumbersome as my primary phone or email appliance.

Very cool - but the trade-offs don't work for me.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Well..even if I ever did make the jump to Appledom, the Gen-1 device has too many shortcomings for me anyway...at least for now. And, for all it's inherant coolness...it is pretty sorry in the phone perfomance area. If it were called the "iMedia" instead of "iPhone", then I could overlook that...but it's not.

To me, the 8300 is such a more complete and stable product. The iPhone is clearly a "beta" device, and I don't want to wait patiently for Steve Jobs and friends to serve up update after update in an attempt to make it as funtional as the BlackBerry already is.

Last edited by davistld01; 08-04-2007 at 09:07 AM..
Old 08-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

As cool as the iphone is, it is totally not ready for the public yet! After two weeks with it, I was reaching back to the Berry. There was just too many shortcomings and glitches to make the iphone an everyday device. Apple does get a high five for putting together such a cool sexy device, and round two will most likely be better for the iphone.

But for everyday use, and all it has to offer in such a small lightweight package, the Blackberry Curve wears the belt for now! In the world of tech glitz it's only a matter of time before Blackberry offers most of the same stuff the iphone has to offer as far as media capabilities goes. And vice versa for the iphone, soon they'll be an Apple product with push email and a full keyboard. At that point all I have to say is -> ->
Decisions, Decisions!!!

For now, like most of us I'm real happy with my Curve!

Last edited by sean76; 08-04-2007 at 11:18 AM..
Old 08-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Defiance
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 3030AD2E
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I returned my iPhone for the 8300. Its not the best phone I've seen either. It works well with everything it does but the alerts and ringers are so low even at max, you can barely hear it.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
bperkins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

I have the iPhone and although I love it for the web browsing, iPod, and basic email/SMS it will never replace my BlackBerry.

As many here pointed out the lack of tactical feel has me always going back to my BlackBerry. The other pitfalls are the lack of copy and paste, and the difficulty to navigate back to correct or add/remove words in the text boxes. I am a long time Mac user and I wanted it to be able to replace my BB but it is just not there.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

The iPhone is one slick piece of kit, no doubt. But I could never replace my Blackberry with one. I'm quite the Apple Fanboi and have quite a collection of Macs in my house. All our computers except my son's gaming laptop (Alienware) and a stray ThinkPad are Macs. But to me the iPhone is just a novelty. What it does, it does very well. If that's how you use your phone, just like in the ads, you'll love it. But if you want any more than that you're going to be disappointed. Just make your purchase with reason, not emotion.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
mishycupcakes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I tell anyone and everyone who will listen that the Blackberry is much better than the iPhone. Perhaps the later ones will be able to compete :P

I love my new Curve, and it got a much higher ranking in a magazine I read today

Last edited by mishycupcakes; 08-04-2007 at 11:41 PM..
Old 08-04-2007, 11:27 PM   #10
websquad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Exclamation ... and then, there is the iPhone battery

I nearly drank the Koolaid. There were pros and cons. But the tilting point for me was the soldered-in battery pack in the iPhone that has to be changed at an Apple facility for, as I recall, $86 US. And they keep your phone for at least three days.

So I purchased an 8300 Curve, and haven't looked back!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #11
sfo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e

Add me to the list. I only lasted three days with Apple.

What gets you on the iPhone is the internet and youtube.
But mail isn't even comparable with the 8300, nor is the phone.
Plus there are apps you can add to the Curve (PocketExpress for one) that makes our BlackBerry far better a choice.

And did I mention the major point: tactile feel!
Old 08-05-2007, 02:00 AM   #12
northerner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: ifone

I have an 8300 on the way... and yet *still* towing with the idea of *maybe* getting the iPhone instead (ordered the 8300 through AT&T Premier, so have a 30 day window to try it out and return if I want)... But I came upon this thread just now, and it's making me think that perhaps I made the right choice and that I'll stick with the 8300 for the time being... Once a rev B iPhone comes along, all bets are off though

cheers
Old 08-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #13
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner View Post
I have an 8300 on the way... and yet *still* towing with the idea of *maybe* getting the iPhone instead (ordered the 8300 through AT&T Premier, so have a 30 day window to try it out and return if I want)... But I came upon this thread just now, and it's making me think that perhaps I made the right choice and that I'll stick with the 8300 for the time being... Once a rev B iPhone comes along, all bets are off though

cheers
I couldn't resist and picked up the iphone. Very cool little toy and glad I bought it... However, I would never give up my curve. I'm hard into e-mails as a form of contact as I travel internationally at least 2-3 weeks a month. The iphone is a great for watching movies and surfing the internet when in a wifi area. It's also a useful magnet at an outdoor bar in Tokyo.....
Old 08-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #14
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Although the outright trade phone-for-phone might be a good deal for me financially...and I have seriously been on the fence for the last couple of days in indecision as to what direction to go...every time I pick up my Curve, I realize that it is probably the most satisfying device I have ever owned. I have had MANY high-end mobile phones in the last few years, always wanting the latest and greatest...but none of them hit the mark as close to 100% across the board like the BlackBerry Curve.

I have no real need of push email. I am not a corporate "power user". I do not handle 75-100 emails a day. I do not use 1/3 of the Curve's business app capabilities. Frankly, my user category would probably be "mobile phone user with benefits". I like the accessability of email easily and effectively wherever I go...and the benefit of it being almost "real time" in some cases. I love the loudness of the earpiece volume, speakerphone volume, ringer/alarm volume and call clarity/quality. The Curve has tremendous RF...best since my original Motorola RAZR. I have a handful of simple, but quality apps (Beyond411, Viigo, TeleNavGPS, AccuWeather, BibleReader, Opera Mini, Google Talk) that do what I want...without jeapordizing the stability of the phone. And...it's pretty cool and sexy too, although not the sheer degree of glitz & bling of the iPhone. Altogether...it is a great performer...

...and I think I'll keep it. But, like a previous poster put it...once the Gen-2 iPhone is released with additional features and "fixes" to the shortcomings that are there now...all bets are off!!! That is...unless BlackBerry rallys and comes out with a media-rich iPhone competitor.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #15
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

I was too drunk last night to think about purchasing an Iphone lol

Proud to Serve USAF
Closed Thread