Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
fwellers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T
Default IdeaMatrix

Please Login to Remove!

Has anybody here used IdeaMatrix ?
I am evaluating it now, ( eval period almost up ).

I'd like to compare it to something else, maybe something a little less expensive also, but the only thing I can compare it to is the native BB memo app. Which is really no comparison at all.

This thing is pretty powerful. You can store notes till the cows come home, in any folder structure you desire ( well almost ). You can inject notes into other apps, or inject other apps objects such as an email message or calendar appt, into the matrix database.

The best thing is the awesome find feature. You can find things like nobody's business.

But still, I would like to see what else is out there to compare it to, and am unable to find anything meeting my minimum requirement which is, to be able to organize notes in a structure of my choosing.

Thanks,
Floyd
Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
bulldoggy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

This is easily one of my top two BB apps that I use multiple times daily. You will not find a BB app that compares. How are you wanting to organize your notes? IdeaMatrix lets you organize your notes in many different ways.

Although not a notes organizer per se, you can also take a look at one of the various password managers for the BB. I use DataVault. You can store quite a lot of information, setup your own templates and organize by various means. Also comes with a desktop companion to sync with.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

re: IdeaMatrix

What he said. It's a killer app and can't help but make you more productive. Organization is the key to success and IdeaMatrix is the gold standard for organization.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
fwellers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Thanks.

Thank you both for your replies. I guess I'll buy it. I do like it and can find nothing like it.

I am also evaluating Ascendo DataVault right now, and yea it would do the job, but not as well. For one thing I don't want to have to input a password in order to make a note entry, and since DataVault will probably be my secure app on the device ......
Also, I love the search feature in IdeaMatrix.

So I guess there's a reason my search for an alternative was fruitless. The Rexguys have the only game in town right now.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

You can search this forum for RexWireless software there are plenty of comments, by far, positive. ideaMatrix really is the only note taker for the BB as the memo application has a size limitation as I recall. The price of the program seemed steep to me but once I started using it, the money was well spent. I liked it so much I bought todoMatrix.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
NickiJ
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I am using IdeaMatrix and ToDo Matrix. I did the trial for about 2 days and recognized what a killer app this is and bought the two. Both are worth every penny. And it's as powerful as you want or as simple as you want. I can't imagine going back to my old PDA task list and until I used ToDo Matrix and IdeaMatrix I couldn't imagine myself saying that. Brilliant apps and nothing comes close. If/when you buy one or both, I'd also recommend reading the Whitepaper.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
fwellers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the inputs.
I didn't think I'd care to pay for the desktop or use it, but wow. What a great working app and a great idea !!

It makes it so easy to get stuff onto the blackberry from anywhere !!!!

Don't think I need todomatrix, as I'm not that busy. My calendar is fine for that. But ideamatrix for me, is the shit ! Between IdeaMatrix, DataVault and the internet, I feel I have a big heads up on the information game. Hell, who needs a memory when you have a pocket(filled with a blackberry) haha.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
NickiJ

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldoggy View Post
This is easily one of my top two BB apps that I use multiple times daily. You will not find a BB app that compares. How are you wanting to organize your notes? IdeaMatrix lets you organize your notes in many different ways.

Although not a notes organizer per se, you can also take a look at one of the various password managers for the BB. I use DataVault. You can store quite a lot of information, setup your own templates and organize by various means. Also comes with a desktop companion to sync with.
I am now checking out DataVault for my password/data management.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:23 AM   #9
snape

Model: 8330
Carrier: vzw

After evaluating a few different password management apps, I found DataVault to be the best one (for the BlackBerry.) I had been using eWallet on my Treo, and DataVault isn't quite that slick, but it's as close as I could get.

I also agree with the comments above about IdeaMatrix and TodoMatrix. Coming from the WM environment, I didn't think I'd ever find anything decent for the BB platform - now I can't imagine switching back.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
don.new
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

How secure is IdeaMatrix? Can you keep sensitive information there?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
fwellers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.new View Post
How secure is IdeaMatrix? Can you keep sensitive information there?
I wouldn't. I don't think it is able to encrypt data, so if you lose your device, your stuff is out there. Plus I wouldn't keep my sensitive stuff on other people's servers, unless they are guaranteed to follow best practices for security, like banks do. Too risky.
I used DataVault for my sensitive stuff.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
NickiJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
After evaluating a few different password management apps, I found DataVault to be the best one (for the BlackBerry.) I had been using eWallet on my Treo, and DataVault isn't quite that slick, but it's as close as I could get.

I also agree with the comments above about IdeaMatrix and TodoMatrix. Coming from the WM environment, I didn't think I'd ever find anything decent for the BB platform - now I can't imagine switching back.
I too had been using eWallet on my ipaq6950. I am going to buy DataVault after the trial period. I agree that for the Blackberry it's as close to Ewallet as I'm going to get.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
I wouldn't. I don't think it is able to encrypt data, so if you lose your device, your stuff is out there. Plus I wouldn't keep my sensitive stuff on other people's servers, unless they are guaranteed to follow best practices for security, like banks do. Too risky.
Agreed. Maybe a dumb question -- but is it possible to use IdeaMatrix without allowing it to be in constant communication with the Rexwireless servers? I don't like the idea of that constant transfer of data, or having my data on someone else's servers for that matter. Yes, I'm paranoid, but I've seen so many hacked servers it's not funny.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Agreed. Maybe a dumb question -- but is it possible to use IdeaMatrix without allowing it to be in constant communication with the Rexwireless servers? I don't like the idea of that constant transfer of data, or having my data on someone else's servers for that matter. Yes, I'm paranoid, but I've seen so many hacked servers it's not funny.
From the Rexwireless FAQ:

How does REXwireless protect the security of my data on REXdesktop or Always*Safe auto-backup?

Customer data on our servers is encrypted beyond the standards set by the U.S. Department of Defense. If our servers were ever compromised, the encrypted files would prevent customer information from falling into hacker hands.

Data access is controlled by user name and password, as well as BlackBerry device PIN. We suggest using passwords with a combination of upper and lower case letters including some numbers and special characters to ensure better security.

When REXdesktop is used, a customer's information is "checked out" and loaded into server memory. Changes are written back to the encrypted store as they are submitted
Old 01-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #15
THE

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Yes, you can.

Rex offers free backup on their servers to new users for the first six months. After that, it cost $24 per year, if you want to keep it. I guess if you told them you don't want the backup service at all, they can turn it off for you.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #16
DougMcCready

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default My $0.02 worth ...

I have both IdeaMatrix and ToDoMatrix and love them both. There are lots of threads on this forum from people who feel the same and who go into much more detail about why.

The key thing I wanted to point out here is their support. In a word: Awesome. I recently had a self-induced problem (IdeaMatrix note that was super huge) and the sync was hanging up. I sent a quick note to their support (Bob) and not only did he quickly reply, he actually CALLED ME to help me work through the issue. Read that again - I'm not aware of any company that does that. We talked through several options, and he showed me some quick ways to isolate the problem note and then presto - life was good again.

Their products are really rock solid and the sync works great. I actually use the web site from time to time to do cut/paste stuff or to work on a large screen.

AND, their support is the best I have ever experienced.

Doug

Last edited by DougMcCready; 01-07-2008 at 04:37 PM..
Closed Thread