Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Demekanized

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Sudden slow down because of memory card

Please Login to Remove!

I recently moved on to an iPhone ( I know, I know) and passed my BB Curve into my wife. I have a 8 gig card in it and filled it only around halfway and listened to music from it everyday. Somehow or another she deleted my music library from the phone, so no big deal right? Well ever since then I can't get the BB to behave correctly, it is slowing down and freezing. It seems to only do this when the memory card is present.
I have updated my BB through desktop manager, formatted the card, error checked the card, and tried a different card. Miutunes is the music player I use, and is what my wife was trying to use when she managed to screw up the phone. Also the 1 gig card is not freezing up the phone, but it does run a little slower than without one and the 8 gig seems to transfer and work fine under Windows.

Thanks in advance for any help someone could provide me with.

*Edit: Actually it seems to work almost perfectly fine with the 1 gig card in it, any ideas what could have happened to my 8 gig card that Windows sees no problems with?

Last edited by Demekanized; 03-09-2009 at 06:32 PM..
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Could be the card... What OS is running on the 8310?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Sprint

You said you formatted the memory card -- did you format it on the computer or in the phone?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Demekanized

It looks like my OS is 4.5.0.99 (does that sound right?, it has been awhile since I have really messed around with it) and I am not sure what any of t twas before the auto update in desktop manager. As for the media card formatting, it was done in windows. It is looking more and more like the 8 gig card might be my problem, I'm guessing a format inside of the BB might be more compatible?

Thanks a lot for your responses.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Sprint

Frequently, the media card can be the problem and it does need to be formatted in the BB, not in the computer. (Doesn't mean you have to reformat a brand new one, but if you are having any trouble, or sometimes when you use a media card that you've used previously in another phone, you are better off reformatting because there is probalby something on that card that is causing the problem.)

And using an 8 GB card alone is NOT the problem. Your OS supports it. (I previously used the 8GB I now have in my 8900 in my 8310. I did reformat it in the 8900 when I first got it.)

Last edited by TXLady; 03-09-2009 at 10:35 PM..
Old 03-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
Demekanized

Formatting inside of the BB seems to have fixed the problem, although I wonder what exactly it does differently than Windows (they both seem to be fat32). I knew that the actual 8 gig card shouldn't have been the problem, it has been working fine for me for something like a year or so. But my files are being scanned and the BB itself is responsive enough and doesn't seem to be freezing like it was before.

Thanks for the tip on formatting inside of the BB, I can't remember if I even knew that I could do that. Once I tinkered enough and got it how I wanted it, I had never even gone back into the settings for any real reason.
Closed Thread