BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
anqara83

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint
Default Backup Device Messages Database

Please Login to Remove!

we're running BES 5.0 and were wondering if there is a way to make the Device Messages Database unavailable to the Backup function of the Desktop Software.
The current IT policy doesn't disable the use of the Desktop Manager, since we want people to use it to backup their device because we have automatic weireless backup on the BES turned off.
I looked through group Policy and it seems that only option close to this is in the security group "Disable Backup" when i choose minimum subset of databases and tested with DTM, it reallt limits what databases are backuped up that it doesn't even allow the address book to be backedup either.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Why do you have wireless backup on BES turned OFF? It's one of BES' most treasured features.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Typical IT mentality, disable the best features.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
anqara83

Default Not My Call

All right Folks, can you take it easy on the tech guy !!
Management thought that it will save us from being liable for user's data in case something happens to the device. Remember these are users' personal Bberries we're activating here.

So any idea how this could be done, if possible ?
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Where in your original post did it say that these were user's personal BlackBerry devices?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
anqara83

that was an oversight on my part, i didn't mention it in my original post. So now that you have an idea of the situation, can somebody assist with this ?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by anqara83 View Post
All right Folks, can you take it easy on the tech guy !!
Management thought that it will save us from being liable for user's data in case something happens to the device. Remember these are users' personal Bberries we're activating here.

So any idea how this could be done, if possible ?
Thanks.
Although I don't have an answer to your querry - consider this a free bump to someone who does will pass along, see it and reply - you'll have other issues to deal with with your current deployment.

1. Management needs to console IT in regards to wireless ownership of the BB's. Cause if not, then users can complain that they cannot "forward" and leak out certain critical company information & resources of contacts/etc.

2. It's still IT responsibility to perform backups and records of users activities with regards to email, PIM, and wireless sync performance - usually. That said, depending on how large, and how critical your company is, it may be important to turn on wireless backup. There are countless times and many company's where users have their BB's wipe them (regardless of what is easily read) due to incorrect pw 10x entered, that I've come across. Then complain further that old emails are not retrieved after a Wireless E.A. is completed.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
anqara83

I see your point but no matter how many security measures you take, you can never lock down the information on a blackberry. However we did take reasonable measure to greatly lower the risk to protect the data.
1- Users are liable for their own devices, they were told few times and had documents to read prior to opting-in with the BES.
2- We would only be interested in Email and performance which we can still get reports on with our current setup. Then again where going with this setup for the initial phase, maybe in the future once we grow some more we'll be providing blackberries and in that case we'll have much more control on them.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by anqara83 View Post
no matter how many security measures you take, you can never lock down the information on a blackberry.
Uhh... what?
Closed Thread