BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
winsol

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular
Default how long does your battery last?

Please Login to Remove!

hello everybody! i just got my blackberry curve 8310 from at&t yesterday, and i was just wondering on average how long does your guys' battery last? and are you guys always on the phone browsing internet, iming, etc. or just letting it sit there?

because so far i am not impressed with how long my battery life is, it was fully charged around 7 hours ago, and now its already a little less than half dead. i also did not heavily use the phone at all because i was out. is there anyway to make it so it saves more energy? but yea, post your guys battery info please. thanks.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
diver165
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: Hardy Har Har
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsol View Post
hello everybody! i just got my blackberry curve 8310 from at&t yesterday, and i was just wondering on average how long does your guys' battery last? and are you guys always on the phone browsing internet, iming, etc. or just letting it sit there?

because so far i am not impressed with how long my battery life is, it was fully charged around 7 hours ago, and now its already a little less than half dead. i also did not heavily use the phone at all because i was out. is there anyway to make it so it saves more energy? but yea, post your guys battery info please. thanks.
I can usually go 3 - 4 days without charging. I keep Bluetooth on and do moderate web browsing. Mostly email and phone for me with bluetooth GPS and hands free. My wife has the same phone and she gets the same battery life. We have AT&T 8300
Old 10-26-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
Lecter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: vodafone Germany

I'm getting 2-3 days with A LOT of e-mails and a lot of quick calls; it seems to improve with time.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

If you phone is going thru more than half the battery in 7 hours it is due to one of three things

1) you are using it alot, not just alot but ALOT!

2) you have something running in the background. IM programs and some other will suck your battery dead in no time!

3) you are in a poor reception area and you phone is struggling to maintain service. I have never seen this myself but I hear this is true. My normal area is covered very well.

I guess the phone could be broken or you could have a bad battery
Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
psyct1

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

Quote:

it you are on your very first charge, that is normal...

it is recommended that after you FULLY charge the battery the first time, allow it to get all the way down to 10% life left before you charge it. do this 4-5 times and you will start to notice a SIGNIFICANT increase in your battery life.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:57 AM   #6
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: ?

psyct1 is right....actually everyone is right.... Your initial charges will be short, and make sure to nearly fully drain the battery before charging...Think of it like an elastic..you gotta stretch it out before you'll get its full use...

Also, your coverage is huge. If you are in a weaker area, you will quickly drain your battery. Example, w/VZW i had an 8830 that i typically would get about 2 days of use out of. once i moved I was only able to get about 10 hours of use at my house. This was due to the fact that i was in a piss poor coverage spot......
Old 10-26-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx

I'm still on Tuesdays charge with 50% left, that's with average of 600 emails a day, gtalk running 24/7 and about 2hr's phone usage a day. I'll be plugging mine it today to top it off.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #8
dstrauss
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've only had mine a week, but yesterday was typical - 30-40 emails, couple of alarms, a dozen short calls, a little surfing (less than 20 minutes) and 80% battery left at days end (from 7:00am-11:00pm). Better than any WM5/6 or Palm smartphone I've used.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Lecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyct1 View Post
it you are on your very first charge, that is normal...

it is recommended that after you FULLY charge the battery the first time, allow it to get all the way down to 10% life left before you charge it. do this 4-5 times and you will start to notice a SIGNIFICANT increase in your battery life.
I've always heard this was a myth, with the new type of batteries...
Old 10-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: ?

older batteries had the 'memory' effect...new batteries dont have it to the degree the older ones do. But to get the most out of your battery, it is still best practice to do this.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
psyct1

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
I've always heard this was a myth, with the new type of batteries...
i've never heard that but, i can just say that both with my OEM battery, and the Seidio extended life (OEM sized) i just about fully drained the battery 5 times before I charged it... and allowed it to fully charge. every "fresh" charge lasted a bit longer than the one before... now, with the extended life battery, i can probably hold one charge for 3-4 days...

10-20 emails/day, 10-20 moderate duration phone calls, jivetalk 24/7, bluetooth 24/7 and browsing... oh, and my coverage is pretty damn good too

did i mention i love blackberry devices? i'm pretty sure i will always own at least one...

Last edited by psyct1; 10-26-2007 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #12
Lecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyct1 View Post
i've never heard that but, i can just say that both with my OEM battery, and the Seidio extended life (OEM sized) i just about fully drained the battery 5 times before I charged it... and allowed it to fully charge. every "fresh" charge lasted a bit longer than the one before... now, with the extended life battery, i can probably hold one charge for 3-4 days...

10-20 emails/day, 10-20 moderate duration phone calls, jivetalk 24/7, bluetooth 24/7 and browsing... oh, and my coverage is pretty damn good too

did i mention i love blackberry devices? i'm pretty sure i will always own at least one...
"Lithium-ion Batteries

It is important to learn battery care information for Lithium-ion batteries to enhance the performance and extend the useful life of the battery. Because they are the newest technology batteries, they offer several advantages over NiMH and NiCd batteries. Lithium-ion batteries are preferred for their lighter weight and higher performance. Lithium-ion batteries are typically 20-35% lighter and will provide 10-20% better performance than a NiMH battery of equivalent mAh rating. Lithium-ion batteries are also unique in that they are not susceptible to the "memory effect".

A new Lithium-ion battery will benefit from an initial "conditioning" of the battery. For the first 3 charge cycles, fully charge the battery overnight and allow it to fully discharge before recharging. Once conditioned, Lithium-ion batteries will perform best when charged at a rate somewhere between a conventional slow charge and a rapid charge. When rapid charging, Lithium-ion batteries require a charger designed to charge Lithium batteries. To achieve a true full charge when rapid charging, the battery needs to be slow charged the last 10-15% of its charge cycle. Most "intelligent" desktop and Lithium-battery rapid chargers provide this capability. A Lithium-ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a charger for more than 24 hours)."

Battery Charging Information, Battery Care Information, Cell Phone Battery Life, Cell Phone Battery Tips, Improve Battery Performance

I love my Curve too!!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
winsol

thanks guys for all the help! ...i've drained the battery twice so far. i guess i will drain it another 2 - 3 times and see if i see any improvements.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #14
winsol

also...do u guys put ur phone on standby mode wen its not in use? or just a keylock?
Old 10-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #15
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:47 PM..
Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
Lecter

Quote:
also...do u guys put ur phone on standby mode wen its not in use? or just a keylock?
I push down the mute/standby and my holster takes care of the rest.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #17
winsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
I push down the mute/standby and my holster takes care of the rest.

what do the holsters do? do they actually save energy on the battery?
Old 10-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #18
Lecter

Quote:
Mine opens and closes whenever I take it out or put it back in (my phone, that is...).
Old 10-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #19
Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
The magnet in certain holsters put the BB in sleep mode, which essentially saves on battery life.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #20
winsol

wow thanks so much for the information guys! really helpful!
Closed Thread