Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
roadhawg02

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default OS 5.0 Battery draining quickly

Please Login to Remove!

I did the OS 5 ugrade through the DM on Monday after charging it up. Then yesterday morning noticed that the phone was dead, and figured the upgrade maybe ran the battery down. I charged it up and pulled it off the charger inthe PM, did not use the phone for anything the rest of the day, and again this morning the battery is completely drained. Seems like something in the update is draining the battery at a high rate.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Butchybutch

Carrier: verizon

i have the same problem after the upgrade
Old 10-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Once again let me repeat the mantra: operating systems don't use up batteries, radios do. Something's running on your phone (probably an RSS feed, or GPS). Find it, fix it, forget about it.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
roadhawg02

I didn't mean to imply that the OS itself was causing the battery drainage, but something changed with the new OS that is causing it. I let it charge yesterday for a long time, pulled it off, and it was dead in 7 hours even after no usage. The only thing I could find that I don't really need all the time was the GPS, so I turned it off. I could find nothing else that might be running to cause this. I also closed all possible apps, so just the minimum is running. Will see if it is better today.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
CaptSwerve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I upgraded yesterday afternoon and I haven't noticed any unusual battery drainage (I never turn off my GPS). I have had my phone off the charger for about 6 hours and still have a full battery. I haven't made any calls but I have read and sent quite a few e-mails/PIN/SMS.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

No unusual batt drain here. Check for running apps, make sure you're getting a good signal and not roaming. You can refresh your cell towers list by dialing *228, option 2.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
TheBigNewt

Having GPS set to location won't drain it unless there something using GPS like GoogleMaps. Stuff like Viigo left running will RSS feed all the time. You have to actualy exit the program from the menu, don't back out of it with the back button or it runs (and it won't be listed as a running program either).
Old 10-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

First off - I have never had drain problems. I am a "low" power user and my normal routine is fully charged when I leave home - after roughly 10 hours it "usually" has 90+ left. Tether it at home where it charges to full, I use autoturnoff at 10:00 and when it turns on at 6 - it's usually at 100%.

Since the update - Battery life is around 50% when I get home, and after being turned off all night, it's at 65% in the morning. This happened both days since my update Wednesday - I thought it may have been a fluke, until I heard from other work users with the same experience.

I called Verizon, who got me through to tier 1 (then tier 2) support at RIM. They hadn't heard any other problems yet. If YOU are having battery problems - call VZW support
(800)922-0204 and report it. I've got a ticket loaded with RIM and am going to try a clean install without any 3rd party apps over the weekend to see if it resolves it. they think this is a potential problem, but the more people tell them, the more they'll be able to figure it out.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
crboone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

My apologies for the double post -- I posted this in the wrong thread previously so I'm adding it here.

I have experienced severe battery drain with 5.0. I don't have any 3rd party apps running in the background, nor have I changed anything (ie. added new apps, etc). I have an extended battery that I only had to "top off" every evening (with regular use of Bluetooth, location on, media, videos, internet, Pandora, etc). Now it's 1/2 drained after 12 hours of idle time. I've turned off the location function to see if that helps. If so, I'll report back if that remedies the problem.

I really have not changed any settings or added any new apps that might be a battery-drain, and I have physically pulled the battery.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Butchybutch

Carrier: verizon

My battery problem is the usb port so I will try for an exchange. If I push the cord into the phone as hard as I can it will work but it is very hard for anyone else to connect.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
crboone

I have tried everything to remedy the battery drain on my BB running OS 5 to no avail. I removed all of my 3rd party apps (I only had a scant few to begin with -- but all it takes is one), pulled the battery, made sure only the basic core apps were running in the background, and turned off the GPS "location on." I even removed the BB messenger.

Last night I reinstalled OS 4.7, and there is no more heavy drain on the battery. It's been almost 12 hours of standby time since I reinstalled 4.7 and recharged the battery, and I have 80% charge left (with my extended battery). Yesterday, after removing and turning everything off (other than the wireless service itself) running OS 5, I would be under 80% in less than 2 hours of standby time, not using the phone at all.

I've read where others aren't having this problem and that the OS couldn't be the cause for the battery drain -- so does anyone have any idea at all? I have to believe you because if it were the OS, everyone would have this problem. Could an extended battery simply not be able to handle something in the new OS that doesn't drain a standard battery? I realize that's a crazy question, but I really am perplexed.

It may be that I just have to stay away from the upgrade because I really like not having to charge my phone but once every night no matter how much I use the phone. I'm glad it's not giving everyone this problem because OS 5 is nice.

Last edited by crboone; 11-01-2009 at 12:39 PM..
Old 11-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
crboone

I discovered the source of my battery drainage problem, though it was quite by mistake. And TheBigNewt was right. Radios use up the batteries, not the OS.

It's not fun being a newbie.

Anyway, I found that I still had BerryTunes installed on my BB. I didn't even see BerryTunes on my BB while I had OS 5.0 installed (I don't really use it that much) -- it didn't appear as running in the background, it was just an icon in a folder so I didn't really see it and never uninstalled it along with the other apps I removed. I just don't use it that much and didn't think about it.

After downgrading back to 4.7, I tried to run BerryTunes but it kept rebooting my machine. So, I uninstalled it. Then I attempted to do a backup which failed on the device memory section over and over again. It seemed something had corrupted my device memory because I just could not complete a successful backup. I remembered TheBigNewt's post saying radios use up the battery, so by that point I figured I should reinstall OS 5 without BerryTunes and see if I could get a clean install -- what did I have to lose since I couldn't complete a successful backup of 4.7 anyway?

Sure enough, I completed a successful upgrade of OS 5 and there is no more battery drainage issue. Thanks to TheBigNewt for his post because it jogged my memory when I started having problems with BerryTunes after reverting back to 4.7. It must have caused some kind of corruption. (Oddly, it still didn't drain the battery after going back to 4.7 -- it simply wouldn't run at all).

I hope posting this doesn't upset anyone -- I knew it couldn't be the OS itself since it only seemed to affect a few people with battery problems. I thought it only fair to report back what the problem really was, and how it reinforces the position that it has to be something else on the device.

The only question I have now is, how do you possibly know what apps to install when you have these kinds of problems? You never know which one might throw everything off after an OS upgrade and cause you to spend more time than it's worth to resolve them?

Last edited by crboone; 11-01-2009 at 05:48 PM..
Old 11-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
TheBigNewt

Yeah like I said it always turns out to be some app running in the background that drains the battery. You didn't say when you installed Berrytunes but it was probably after you installed the 5.0 OS. I bet it was either a corrupt version or it wasn't compatable with 4.7, hence the rebooting. If you installed it before 5.0 it's possible it wasn't compatable with a 5.x OS (some apps aren't since 5.0 is beta). Either way you found the problem. What I would do it not fear any apps, but if you know the battery is draining abnormally all of a sudden (most people can tell in a day or so based on their useage in the past) you go to each app one-at-a-time and exit or close it using the menu key. Just don't listen to people who tell you to change your OS to fix it. Interestingly sometimes that will actually fix it because it will close down the offending app that was running. Then they become convinced that fixed it. The other classic battery drain situation is the new phone. That's because people load it with new cool apps and something gets left running somewhere. Glad you got it fixed though.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 11-01-2009 at 08:26 PM..
Old 11-02-2009, 02:16 AM   #14
RedlineGo

Model: 8330
Default Sorry for the ignorant post but

how can I tell what apps are running on my new storm 2?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #15
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
[snip]
If you installed it before 5.0 it's possible it wasn't compatable with a 5.x OS (some apps aren't since 5.0 is beta).
[snip]
5.0.0.328 for the Storm 9530 was officially released by Verizon a week ago...
Verizon 9550
Closed Thread