Old 02-24-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
wayneholbrook
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: 20D214AB
Carrier: AT&T
Question Advice on the 8800 or Treo 750

Please Login to Remove!

Good morning to all. I understand that this is a Blackberry Forum, and I currently have a 8700g. I have had blackberry for a number of years now and everytime i leave the blackberry and try another PDA type phone I end up coming right back. So i need some advise from my fellow blackberry owners. I really need a camera phone and dont want to carry 2 phones, Im upset that blackberry has not come out with a camera ph on its full keyboard type phones and no wifi. Recenlty I was really thinking about trying the treo 750, but i keep hearing that those treo's are really unstable, but there is so much more software available for those phones then the blackberries. And of course I just love those email features that we have with the balckberry. So I am in a cross roads. I keep reading that the new blackberries that are coming for T-Mobile might have a camera and wifi, but not sure if it will and when it might happen. Im a little frustrated in the fact that alot of us have been waiting a long time for blackberry to come out with a camera version. I know that feature might not be of importance to some, but I think blackberry should keep up with or surpass whats out there. I know the pearl has a camera, but I really think after trying the pearl, this is the worst ph that blackberry has put out. Any thoughts????
Old 02-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
jareds

Model: 8800

I had a treo 750 and liked it a lot however the battery died on me after about 8 hours of moderate use
Old 02-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Keep you current phone till the camera version 88XX Blackberry is released. I could not even consider leaving Blackberry for any other technology. The treo 750 isin a completly different class and can not be compared to Blackberry services.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

Tried the Treo before. This was on the Palm platform. Too unstable. Theoretically you can use it for a lot of different things. In practice I wasn't too pleased with reboots, etc.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
wayneholbrook
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: 20D214AB

Thanks, Greg
I agree, but holding out not easy....Im sure i will be waiting
Old 02-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I agree with what everyone else said. You even said it yourself; everytime you leave BB for another device, you come back.

I had a 750 too and went to the 8700 and now on the 8800. The Treo is nice but you'll find it bulky and heavy compared to the 8700. Also, there are OS issues and you have to be careful with all those third party apps cause some of them tend to make the OS unstable. But there are some good apps out there.

The main thing you said though was email and the Microsoft OS doesn't have anything on BB email. Not even close. Unless you went to something like Good on the Treo.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
Treominator
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Are you kidding me? The Treo 750 is heads and shoulders more capable than the Blackeberry on a HUNDRED different levels (millions of freeware to do pretty much all you need - webcam, jump drive, remote control, dog collar)
The video and audio quality is great. Cons would be the proprietary cables and chargers.

The Treo is a CONSUMER use heaven, the Blackberry is for folks like myself stuck with the company server and policies and having no choice.

The Treo is pretty much a like a PC - there is unlimited software, free or not to greatly increase its capability. Yes, the drawback of random software is also more frequent reboots.

In a nutshell - The blackberry does 3-4 things really well (and mostly for pure business)
The Treos/Blackjack etc can do 8-10 things quite well. (can be for bsiness or pleasure)
Old 02-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Are *you* kidding me???

The Treo line is plagued with reboots, freezes, lockups, more freezes, reboots, and more lockups....

The BlackBerry does what is intended to do, and it does it better than any other device on the planet!

If you want applications (that contribute to the Treo's issues), if you want gimmicks and frills that you wont use past month 2 then the Treo is for you...

If you want ROCK solid stability without all the gimmicks and frills then the BB is for you....

Just my .02 on the matter.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treominator
Are you kidding me? The Treo 750 is heads and shoulders more capable than the Blackeberry on a HUNDRED different levels (millions of freeware to do pretty much all you need - webcam, jump drive, remote control, dog collar)
The video and audio quality is great. Cons would be the proprietary cables and chargers.

The Treo is a CONSUMER use heaven, the Blackberry is for folks like myself stuck with the company server and policies and having no choice.

The Treo is pretty much a like a PC - there is unlimited software, free or not to greatly increase its capability. Yes, the drawback of random software is also more frequent reboots.

In a nutshell - The blackberry does 3-4 things really well (and mostly for pure business)
The Treos/Blackjack etc can do 8-10 things quite well. (can be for bsiness or pleasure)
Old 02-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

Treominator...first, I'm not picking a fight or bashing you, I'm just curious about your username.

I'm guessing Treominator is supposed to be like Termininator? So, my take on Treominator would be that you're "killing" Treo's. But, I've seen posts by you praising the Treo.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneholbrook
Good morning to all. I understand that this is a Blackberry Forum, and I currently have a 8700g. I have had blackberry for a number of years now and everytime i leave the blackberry and try another PDA type phone I end up coming right back. So i need some advise from my fellow blackberry owners. I really need a camera phone and dont want to carry 2 phones, Im upset that blackberry has not come out with a camera ph on its full keyboard type phones and no wifi. Recenlty I was really thinking about trying the treo 750, but i keep hearing that those treo's are really unstable, but there is so much more software available for those phones then the blackberries. And of course I just love those email features that we have with the balckberry. So I am in a cross roads. I keep reading that the new blackberries that are coming for T-Mobile might have a camera and wifi, but not sure if it will and when it might happen. Im a little frustrated in the fact that alot of us have been waiting a long time for blackberry to come out with a camera version. I know that feature might not be of importance to some, but I think blackberry should keep up with or surpass whats out there. I know the pearl has a camera, but I really think after trying the pearl, this is the worst ph that blackberry has put out. Any thoughts????
From a good read of your post, it appears you already have the answer you need. You're aware of the layout of the land, and what is on the horizon. Either wait for the solution, just as you describe it, or settle for risk and compromise. Not easy, but those are your choices.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #11
WebSurfer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: at&t

It really depends on how you want to use your device. I have both the Treo 750 and 8800 for evaluation. The Treo is really nice for its integration into MS products. Also, you can run Slingbox player which is really cool. Phone quality is very good and with a little work, you can get near 1mg download speeds. It feels good in your hand and the screen is decent. It is more complicated to use in many respects. Also, the screen is 240x240 which does cause some web pages to not appear correctly. The integrated bluetooth functionality is very nice for MP3's etc.

The 8800 does not sit as nicely in your hand as either the Treo 750 or the 8700 for that matter. But the screen is great and for basic phone and email functions it is very solid. The GPS is the frosting on the cake. I am still amazed that RIM was able to integrate the GPS chipset into the 8800. For anyone who does much traveling, this is the 8800 wins with this feature alone. I would have preferred a camera as part of the package like the Treo 750 or the BlackBerry Pearl. It has been great fun to be out skiing or at some event and be able to share in real time. I am sure that there will be a camera version of the 8800 down the road. Now if only Slingbox would come out with a mobile player for the 8800 life would be really great.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
bcaslis
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've had the Treo 750 since October. If you really need 3G then it's an OK choice. But it has lots of issues. If bluetooth is important to you then I would definitely say stay away from the 750. My main issues with it are:

1.) Bluetooth is incredibly unstable with my car (BMW). It will pair and connect will be get into a connect/disconnect loop, crash when making a call, or complete a call but have no audio.
2.) Bluetooth is unstable when using DUN. It will work but the data connection will remain connected but stop transferring data after 5 - 15 minutes. Sometimes a disconnect and reconnect will work, sometimes you have to reset the Treo.
3.) Sometimes it will work for a wakeup alarm sometimes not. Complete voodoo when it will work.
4.) Sometimes sound and vibration for calls and alarms stops. You have to soft reset it to get it back. Some people think this is really to voice dialing. They suggest turning it off. Nice features that you can't use it if you want to avoid problems.
5.) Other general stability issues. Not as bad as the Palm OS units. But not very good. In general the unit doesn't crash, but features just stop working.

To be honest, I'm trying a Motorola Q right now on Verizon. It was pretty bad when it first came out, but they have had two major firmware upgrades since then. It actually works pretty well now. It's tons more stable than the Treo 750. I used to be a huge Treo fan, but every model they have made in the past year has had serious issues and they had released almost no fixes in the past year. If stability is important to you I would say to stay far away from the Treo 750 until at least Palm does some serious firmware updates.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #13
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis
If stability is important to you I would say to stay far away from the Treo 750 until at least Palm does some serious firmware updates.
With Moto eyeballing Palm (in truth, they're smelling blood) these days, Palm is not a stable foundation to place your bets currently either.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #14
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: ATT

I find my 8800 seems faster then most of the 3g phones like the treo and blackjack I tried. Guess 3g realy only shines when using a PC.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
bcaslis
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree that 3G is most useful when using it as a wireless modem. For the built-in browsers it's not a big deal unless you are trying to load big normal websites. For email it really doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371
I find my 8800 seems faster then most of the 3g phones like the treo and blackjack I tried. Guess 3g realy only shines when using a PC.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #16
Seltzer

PIN: Don't remember

I own the 8800 and 750, and the 8800 is FAR better in simply every basic aspect.

Pros - Touchscreen, 3G, 3rd party applications
Cons - horrible battery life, QWERTY keys are small, Window Mobile 5

Pros - Great battery life, loud earpiece/speakerphone, great QWERTY pad, vivid screen, stable and intuitive OS
Cons - lack of 3G, no camera (no biggie though)

I took the sim card out of the 750 and haven't used it since I got my 8800.
Nothing like a Blackberry...
Old 02-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
Treominator
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

thats prety strong statement considering your favorite device was released than a week ago.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #18
backbeat
No longer Registered.

^Since the Treo's keys haven't changed in a few generations, the keyboard (as just one example) is a turkey-shoot.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #19
bcaslis
Thumbs Must Hurt

For Motorola's sake, I hope they don't buy Palm. I truthfully don't see anything in Palm that would help Motorola. Their new Q q9 announced at 3GSM with WM6 and HSDPA looks like it could be a very good product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
With Moto eyeballing Palm (in truth, they're smelling blood) these days, Palm is not a stable foundation to place your bets currently either.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #20
backbeat
No longer Registered.

^In truth, Palm is only a shell of a company since they don't even own the operating system any longer and have to pay license fees just to employ it. HTC does the hardware design work. Short-term goals kill giants where there is no long-term vision. They had their day.

New Q9 or whatever it's called looks like a really nice hardware design, but, alas, WM6 (WM5 + new skins ;) ) just won't cut it, regardless of improved backend support when the handset is still unstable.

Last edited by backbeat; 02-24-2007 at 04:06 PM..
Closed Thread