when is the Javelin comming out?
Read this thread. Nobody knows
Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #42
bryanpittman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Curve Where to Buy in EU - BlackBerry Curve Price - Blackberry Curve Dealer

I'm not sure when the 8900 showed up on the "where to buy" page, but T-Mobile Germany is the only carrier that has a link as of today.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #43
mooondog

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I've had the Bold since Nov 4. The battery life is HORRIBLE. And it has been particularly bad lately. Barely 1/2 day worth of batter life. Perhaps a hardware problem?

Anyway, I may be trading down to a Curve because I can't deal with this. I've tried all of the little tricks like turning off WiFi when I'm not using it, etc... I'm okay charging my phone each night. I am NOT okay having to plug it in to some type of power supply 2 times per day.

I live many aspects of the bold, especially the screen. The 3G.....ehhhhh.... don't really notice a HUGE difference.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #44
caneau

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmo

I don't doubt that 3G needs to be improved upon. No doubt battery life is poor but that, as was pointed out, can most likely be fixed on the firmware side rather than the hardware side. Maybe 3G can be kept "dormant" until a request for data is made. Using an LED backlight like some laptops are can also help.

You wouldn't buy a 5 year old desktop computer or use a dial-up modem to "save on power," why would you settle for anything but a 3G phone? I do agree there should be some sort of deactivation for 3G/battery save mode that allows for longer battery life, but that should already be thought out. I don't believe the excuse of it not being technologically feasible, that's a BS especially when competitors are working out ways to save battery life all the time. If I'm gonna shell out a few hundred bucks for a device with a crappy browser and email technology that's already had a ROI many times over, I might as well have one that's well engineered. Otherwise there's a heck of a lot more fish in the water since when I bought my 8800.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #45
Whorehay

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneau View Post
I don't doubt that 3G needs to be improved upon. No doubt battery life is poor but that, as was pointed out, can most likely be fixed on the firmware side rather than the hardware side. Maybe 3G can be kept "dormant" until a request for data is made. Using an LED backlight like some laptops are can also help.
3G is not only data, but voice. You'll find that 3G calls are clearer and have less static in the background. You can also be on the internet and call at the same time, something you can't do on those devices with EDGE (although I suppose that would defeat the purpose of trying to save battery).
Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #46
caneau

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorehay View Post
3G is not only data, but voice. You'll find that 3G calls are clearer and have less static in the background. You can also be on the internet and call at the same time, something you can't do on those devices with EDGE (although I suppose that would defeat the purpose of trying to save battery).
Sure, but the same principle of keeping 3G deactivated until you made a voice call could be applied. I use my BB for data far more than I do for voice anyway.
Closed Thread