Old 02-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #61
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgerson
OK.. I did a couple tests on other phones, and could not repro this. the two 8703 phones I have are both out in others hands right now, when I get back to the office I will try to get them back and run a test. Our QA king is actively trying to repro this on test labs, and virtual developer labs. No luck yet.

Stay tuned.. truly appreciate the repro steps. If anyone else can repro this on another device, please send me an email. Crashes are something we want to address immediately.

btw, my first name is Jeff. My work email is Firstname.lastname and the domain is infospace.com (I am sure the crew here will figure this out without me getting spam by typing in my email here)
Jeff, I need to point something out to all here. it is highly recomended to wait a couple of minutes once the app starts as it seems it tries to find the current location first. SO one should leave it at its home screen then start attmpting to go into the my location and so on or else one would get an error. Still no luck with the voice turn by turn command.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #62
newyowker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
OK.. I did a couple tests on other phones, and could not repro this. the two 8703 phones I have are both out in others hands right now, when I get back to the office I will try to get them back and run a test. Our QA king is actively trying to repro this on test labs, and virtual developer labs. No luck yet.

Stay tuned.. truly appreciate the repro steps. If anyone else can repro this on another device, please send me an email. Crashes are something we want to address immediately.

btw, my first name is Jeff. My work email is Firstname.lastname and the domain is infospace.com (I am sure the crew here will figure this out without me getting spam by typing in my email here)
I'm sorry I left out an important step. clicking down once on the scroll wheel otherwise it wont even crash for me

Browse by Category > then press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, *, and one click down on the scroll wheel.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #63
hmon

Model: Bold
Carrier: at&t

I was using Internet Browser but didn't have emulate IE, that did it. Thanks hf1khal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1khal
Are you using the internet browser? Also check the settings when in thte browser and make sure it is set to emulate IE.

Last edited by hmon; 02-24-2007 at 01:09 PM..
Old 02-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #64
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Jeff, I need to point something out to all here. it is highly recomended to wait a couple of minutes once the app starts as it seems it tries to find the current location first. SO one should leave it at its home screen then start attmpting to go into the my location and so on or else one would get an error. Still no luck with the voice turn by turn command.
It is interesting you would get an error if you start doing something initially.

We designed it from the start to try to get location in the background (if possible) and allow you to start searching/browsing. Once you get to where you need a location, you can either wait for location to be returned by hitting WHERE I AM, or you can choose a new location and just enter it. Did it crash when you tried this? or just returned an error?
Old 02-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #65
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Are you using the internet browser? Also check the settings when in thte browser and make sure it is set to emulate IE.
Excellent Tip.. I did not know that.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #66
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
I downloaded it to my VZW 8703e but it says "Near: Enter Location". How did you get the GPS to work?
On Verizon, you wont get GPS back. The 8703e on Sprint does. I think all developers are begging Verizon to get their API's out soon. In the mean time, we are still shooting for a puck supported version.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #67
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaBerry
Will it work with a bluetooth GPS receiver?
Not yet BabaBerry, that is something we are going to work on, just did not have time for this release. We are trying to work through a couple of issues with RIM on the APIs they have that don't appear to be working.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #68
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
It is interesting you would get an error if you start doing something initially.

We designed it from the start to try to get location in the background (if possible) and allow you to start searching/browsing. Once you get to where you need a location, you can either wait for location to be returned by hitting WHERE I AM, or you can choose a new location and just enter it. Did it crash when you tried this? or just returned an error?
What I meant if one dives into it imediately it ends up giving ghe error and saying to either go abck and do adina or restart.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #69
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

I am using internet browser and have set the browser option to emulate IE. I still get the error "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again." I am on a BES in an enterprise. I am the BES admin and can change IT policies anyway I want. Any other suggestions.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #70
Number_44
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile
Default Infospace 8100?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if the Infospace is compatible with 8100?? He says 8800 but I was wondering if it would work on the 8100

InfoSpace Find It! | The Boy Genius Report
Old 02-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #71
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

update, i rebooted the device and now with the settings from above. It tries to start for a much longer time then gets the same error.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #72
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

I don't think it'll work. The 8100 doesn't have GPS.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #73
Number_44
Thumbs Must Hurt

nevermind, works pretty well actually. Except I have to input locations, but works great.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #74
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130E

It is working on Sprint 7130e with internal GPS. It took me less than a minute to email myself the link and download the OTA application. I like the interface, very clear and simple. The loading speed was very fast. I haven't try out the direction yet, but I notice that I cannot change the speaker volume? I am sitting in my cubicle and people are coming around to check where "Turn right on Blah blah blah street" came from. Oh and the voice direction has text to speech. It is a male voice though... I prefer female voice.

I think I found a bug though. On many of the screens, the top line "Near: <my current address>" is being covered up by other contents. I think this is probably a screen size or font size issue. Oh and I like the fact that it will try to guess your current address, even it was wrong for my case. My sitting location in the building is closer to the steet in the back than the actual front entrance.

I will test out the direction this afternoon on my way home. I have to stop by a Costco, I will see if it will find it. ;)
Old 02-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #75
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I don't think it'll work. The 8100 doesn't have GPS.
It will actually work fine on phones that don't have GPS, you will just have to put in your location manually. (it is designed to work with both types of phones)
Old 02-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #76
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need
It is working on Sprint 7130e with internal GPS. It took me less than a minute to email myself the link and download the OTA application. I like the interface, very clear and simple. The loading speed was very fast. I haven't try out the direction yet, but I notice that I cannot change the speaker volume? I am sitting in my cubicle and people are coming around to check where "Turn right on Blah blah blah street" came from. Oh and the voice direction has text to speech. It is a male voice though... I prefer female voice.

I think I found a bug though. On many of the screens, the top line "Near: <my current address>" is being covered up by other contents. I think this is probably a screen size or font size issue. Oh and I like the fact that it will try to guess your current address, even it was wrong for my case. My sitting location in the building is closer to the steet in the back than the actual front entrance.

I will test out the direction this afternoon on my way home. I have to stop by a Costco, I will see if it will find it. ;)
The volume is controlled by the phone currently. We are going to add in a feature at some point to control the volume within the application.

The font size bug above, we will look into this, have not seen it personally. Good luck at Costco, it is usually crazy busy after work!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #77
TreyS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Got it loaded and working once on my 8800 now it says "Unable to start Infospace Find IT! Possible network problems, try again...OK"

The error is on both of my devices using BES.

Last edited by TreyS; 02-26-2007 at 10:29 PM..
Old 02-26-2007, 11:59 PM   #78
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130E

Okay, tested the direction feature on my way to Costco from work. The direction was accurate, but the way it worked was not exactly what I expected. I thought it would be a full feature GPS navigation software with re-routing like TeleNav or MapQuest Navigator. But actually it is more like google direction but with voice. The only time it uses the GPS is at the start point to calculate current address. After that, you have to press Next everytime you finished a step. The program doesn't update your location, and if you go off course you will have to start over manually to re-calculate new route.

The map loading is fast, but it only loads one map at a time. It loads a sectional route map and when you click next, it will load the next map and audio (if you pick voice).

It is a good tool for finding things nearby though. I guess that's why it is called Find IT! The interface is probably the quickest and easiest of all the GPS software I tried. I wish the find gas stations would have search by price like TeleNav but it doesn't.

Last edited by Need; 02-27-2007 at 03:16 PM..
Old 02-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #79
newyowker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need
Okay, tested the direction feature on my way to Costco from work. The direction was accurate, but the way it worked was not exactly what I expected. I thought it would be a full feature GPS navigation software with re-routing like TeleNav or MapQuest Navigator. But actually it is more like google direction but with voice. The only time it uses the GPS is at the start point to calculate current address. After that, you have to press Next everytime you finished a step. The program doesn't update your location, and if you go off course you will have to start over manually to re-calculate new route.

The map loading is fast, but it only loads one map at a time. It loads a sectional route map and when you click next, it will load the next map and audio (if you pick voice).

It is a good tool for finding things nearby though. I guess that's why it is called Find IT! The interface is probably the quickest and easiest of all the GPS software I tried. I with the find gas stations would have search by price like TeleNav but it doesn't.
Very good point. I completely agree.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #80
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

I still can not get the voice turn by turn to work. I keep on getting the same as I di before. I realy do like this application and would like to see it grow and continue to get better.