Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
beltranllc

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: US Cellular
Question 8830 from Us Cellular

Please Login to Remove!

I sthere a way to use my 8830 from uscellular as a modem for my lap top? is yes wath is the proces thank you..
Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
schnider
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I found this a while back at another BB forum site and it worked great for me:

How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***PLEASE READ***
T-Mobile is the ONLY carrier I can guarantee DOES NOT apply adtn'l charge for using this capability. For charges other carriers apply, most are mentioned throughout the posts here.
**ALSO**
Wish I did, but I don't have the instructions for set up on a MAC. T-Mobile will provide MAC OS instructions to you, just call 1.800.937.8997 or 611 from a T-Mob phone & ask for Tier III Tech Support.
note: don't call from the phone you are setting up as a modem.

Why pay for internet service for your Blackberry & for your home PC? Your Blackberry's gotcha covered, it can do both. All you have to to do is set up yoru computer to recognize your Blackberry as a modem. And, of course, you also have to have an appropriate internet feature on your Blackberry from your carrier. These instructions were created for PC's running XP, but I know for a fact that this will also get the job done with Visa, Vista Premium, & Win 2000. The steps taken to get to the appropriate windows may differ a bit, but the actual set up is the same in all. Here ya go, hope this helps.!!

Verify that you have the Desktop Manager version 4.2 and the software bundle that came with the handheld installed on your computer.

Query the modem, using the modems properties:

1 Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
2 Double-click on Phone and modem options.
3 Click on the Modems tab.
4 Left-click on the modem installed above. (Standard Modem or Standard Modem over Bluetooth)
5 Click Properties.
6 Click the Diagnostics tab.
7 Click Query Modem.
8 If dialog shows in the empty box, the modem is responding, then continue with the below steps. Otherwise contact WDS Tier III.
9 Click the Advanced tab.
10 Check the Extra Initialization Command feild and ensure it is correct.

Enter the initialization command:

1 From your computer, click Start.
2 Click Control Panel.
3 Click Phone and Modem Options.
4 Click the Modems tab.
5 Scroll to Standard Modem.
6 Click Properties.
7 Click the Advanced tab.
8 In the Extra Initialization Command field, enter the following:

IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
Add only ONE of the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier specific command:

TMOBILE USA
+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Rogers Users
+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.com"

Cingular Blue/AT&T
+cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy"

Cingular Orange
+cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"

UK Vodafone
+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

Verizon - Keep blank
Nextel/Telus iDEN (untested) - Keep blank
Sprint/Bell Mobility CDMA (untested) - Keep blank

Create dial-up networking :

1 From your computer, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, then Network Connections.
2 Click Create a new connection, then Next.
3 Select Connect to Internet.
4 Select Set up my connection manually.
5 Select Connect using a dial-up modem.
6 Select the Standard Modem, then Next.
7 Enter T-Mobile as the ISP Name.
8 Enter *99# as the Phone number.
9 Click Next.
10 Leave the User name and Password feilds blank.
11 Deselect all the optional check boxes in the bottom portion of this window.
12 To create the connection, click Finish.
13 In the Connect window, click Properties.
14 In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
15 In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.
16 In the Connect window, select Save this user name and password for the following users.
17 Select the appropriate option.
18 Confirm that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is running.
*IMPORTANT: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running, or error 692 will appear during the dial up attempt. (i have 1 connection set for the standard modem, usb cable, & 1 connection set for the standard modem over bluetooth and have no problems getting a connection without connecting to desktop manager)
19 Open the web browser and navigate to any website to test the connection.

If the laptop/PC connects but Internet Explorer does not, follow these steps:

1 From Internet Explorer, click Tools, then Internet Options....
2 Click the Connections tab.
3 From Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings, select T-Mobile.
4 Click Set Default.
5 Select Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
6 Click OK.
7 Click OK again.

That should do it!!

Personal note:

On this part:

8 In the Extra Initialization Command field, enter the following:

IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
Add only ONE of the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier specific command:

TMOBILE USA
+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Rogers Users
+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.com"

Cingular Blue/AT&T
+cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy"

Cingular Orange
+cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"

UK Vodafone
+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

Verizon - Keep blank
Nextel/Telus iDEN (untested) - Keep blank
Sprint/Bell Mobility CDMA (untested) - Keep blank

I just left mine blank and it all worked just fine.

On this step:

7 Enter T-Mobile as the ISP Name.

I used the word "Blackberry" instead.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
cestmoi

Carrier: verizon

So, do you simply use the USB cable that was included with the BB? Also, anyone use Verizon's tethered modem with the BB 8830 even though you did not pay for this extra service? I think it's blasphemy that Verizon would be charging you extra since you already pay for unlimited data. Would you be charged on Verizon's bill if they detect that you've used it?

I guess a good question would be, is it possible to set up the tethered modem with Verizon without subscribing? And if so, once the above configurations are done, would one be charged for the 'data' used in this way? How would they be able to differentiate between the BB surfing data versus tethered anyway?

Last edited by cestmoi; 03-22-2008 at 10:46 PM..
Old 03-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ
there is information there that shows you how to connect your device as a modem.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
schnider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestmoi View Post
So, do you simply use the USB cable that was included with the BB? Also, anyone use Verizon's tethered modem with the BB 8830 even though you did not pay for this extra service? I think it's blasphemy that Verizon would be charging you extra since you already pay for unlimited data. Would you be charged on Verizon's bill if they detect that you've used it?

I guess a good question would be, is it possible to set up the tethered modem with Verizon without subscribing? And if so, once the above configurations are done, would one be charged for the 'data' used in this way? How would they be able to differentiate between the BB surfing data versus tethered anyway?
Even better, mine workd via the Bluetooth in my laptop. With US Cellular we have an unlimited plan, and do not get charged extra to use the BB as a tethered modem.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
allantsang123@gmail.com

Carrier: USCELLULAR
Default uscellular tethered modem with 8830

I am getting different info from uscellular.

1. I was told if I use it tethered, they could cancel my service
2. Then it was ok - but not too much - not sure what too much is - in which case, why I had to pay for unlimited dataplan.
3. Then I was told with the 8830, that I had to use Pulse at brainmurmur via bluetooth - which the guy at uscellular said he couldn't get to work.

Any user using uscellular that is using BB8830 via bluetooth or tethered? What would be the difference - is one using up minutes?

If you have a solution, could you send me or post the directions to set it up. If it is the same as above, I will just follow that and there is no need for additional post.

Thanks

Allan
Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
jrusch
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 32CC212F

I have an 8830 with US Cellular. I tether, but not on a regular basis. One of the reasons I use a BlackBerry is so I can access the Internet without using my laptop.

When I do tether, I use the USB cable that came with the 8830. For the most part, just follow the directions above, starting at "Create dial-up networking"

Here is what I do:
1. Connect the 8830 to my laptop using the USB cable.
2. Start Desktop Manager
3. I created a dial-up networking connection. I call it "USCC BlackBerry". The number to dial is #777. User name is [email address] (6085551234@uscc.net). Password is myphonenumber (6085551234).

I did a little research regarding USCC's tethering policy. They say that it violates my contract terms. I haven't read my contract to know for sure. It does work though. I have read that if you use it too much, you'll get a letter in the mail warning you to stop. If you don't stop you'll get another letter. If they send you a third letter, the next time they will terminate your service. I have never received a first letter. I only tether when I need to connect to web pages that won't work on my BlackBerry.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
allantsang123@gmail.com

Thanks jrusch,

But I get the message - no dialtone.

I tried calling that number from my phone to see if I got a dialtone or modem tone. It said USC would not let me access this number.

Any suggestions. Is there another number to use?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #9
Stokley

hey just a quick note. I work at US Cellular and we will cancel your service and can even charge you for data fees if you use your device as a modem. It's against the terms and conditions. We had a person who had over $40,000.00 worth of data charges, on an unlimited data plan, because he was using it as a modem. So while the ability is there, I would suggest against it because there are ways of flagging accounts that have more than above average data usage on them.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #10
schnider

It didn't seem to work all that well anyway. It is easier to just use the BB Browser and do what you need with that.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:59 AM   #11
allantsang123@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokley View Post
hey just a quick note. I work at US Cellular and we will cancel your service and can even charge you for data fees if you use your device as a modem. It's against the terms and conditions. We had a person who had over $40,000.00 worth of data charges, on an unlimited data plan, because he was using it as a modem. So while the ability is there, I would suggest against it because there are ways of flagging accounts that have more than above average data usage on them.

I have used UScellular for over 9 years and never violated anything. My current plan cost me over $175.

When I first signed up, I was comparing Verizon or UScellular. I was told all kinds of BS. It's been over a year now since I have had this BB. I have broadband wifi at home in my office.

The reason I asked was the coffee shop I go to for the last couple of months has been losing their connection constantly and even when connected it is at 1 mbps. Regardless, I have spoken to people that worked at UScellular.

It took me four calls, 1 visit to get to a sales person to give me info on the "aircard" which is going to cost me another $40.00 for the card and $60 monthly for the service!!!!!!

Verizon is only $15.00 extra if yu have the data plan.

What you just did is gather bad will with empty threat with the tone you just used here and verified to everyone the rip off charges and the length USC willl go to keep that - sending people to monitor these threads.

Even the Corporate sales guy I spoke with thought the deal stunk - he has a blackberry and is trying to make it work. He mentioned that he has a memo that allows Uscellular users to use it as a modem IF....IF they can use "pulse", a software on brainmurmur.com and connect via blue tooth. I have contacted the guys at brainmurmur, they have such a software (with 7 day trial) but they don't really support the 8830 at this moment but it should work.

I wanted something only for short term - perhaps 15-30 min. a week at most.
I just thought instead of downloading a software without 100% certainty, I would use something that is for temporary, limited usage.

What you have done here is to proof to the world what an jerk some of you guys and the company can be. Obviously it can be done but you want to charge an extra $60 a month versus other companies at $15.

Even the guy from US cellular said it would be nice if they would let us do it and charge like $10-$15 so this frustration is not felt by me alone.

At this time, anyone searching for this topic should not look into US Cellular. With dataplan and try to use your laptop - you are looking at base cost of $100.00 plan plus your phone minutes, taxes etc.

Verizon or anyother plan may be your best bet.

Because of this - I am considering canceling my account - pay the penalty - still cheaper to sign up with someone that dosn't want to rip you off at every turn and have people all over your shoulder.

Yeah - please feel free to go contact your boss - I havn't done anything yet and you know what, I know of people even in USCellular doing it and they say as long as you do not use it too much, you probably will not get flagged.

Well, you all make your best buying decision - facts are all here.

I don't think I will continue to:

1. Pay for $40 for my unlimited data plan for my BB
2. Pay another bundle for the phone servcie
3. AND another $40 for a card PLUS
4. $60 monthly to use it.

this is a good memo to pass around my company to help my employees make better buying decisions.

Bye - it has been fun.

Last edited by allantsang123@gmail.com; 04-17-2008 at 02:00 AM..
Old 04-17-2008, 03:15 AM   #12
schnider

Looks like some one's comment is not increasing sales.

I think one of the most frustrating things here is the fact that, someone has taken the time to ask questions and to try to do things right. They hear from three different people at the same company, and get three completely different answers. That in itself can be annoying enough to make you want to look elsewhere.

It really seams like pleasing the customer and customer support is flying right out the window these days.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
jrusch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Don't let the comments from the US Cellular employee scare you. I have had data services with USCC for years. I have tethered occasionally during those years. I don't download movies, music, software, etc. when I'm tethering. I don't play online games or youtube videos. I check bank accounts, eBay, online forums, etc. If you are in a coffee shop and are just doing web surfing with no large downloads, you will be fine.

Every USCC employee that is knowledgeable on this subject has said they will send you letters in the US mail before any additional charges will accrue. They have to. I have a copy of the "Terms and Conditions of Agreement" that I signed on January 2007 when I renewed my contract. No where does it state that I can't tether. It does say "Ammendment. We may change the terms of this Agreement at any time by providing you with notice." The letters will be the notice. There is no chance USCC is going to get away with trying to charge me $40,000 for data usage. What a joke. Unless I get a letter, and then continue to violate those terms.

The unofficial policy is: don't contact customer service for help with tethering.

I am tethering with my laptop right now.

If I try connecting before starting Desktop Manager, I get an error: Error 692: There was a hardware failure in the modem

After I start Desktop Manager, everything works. I double-checked my information:
User name: [email address] (use your own phone number here)
Password: 6085551234 (your own phone number)
Dial: #777
Properties: Modem - Standard Modem (COM4) (your BlackBerry modem com port might be different. make sure you have selected the BlackBerry modem here, not the computer's internal modem)

If I manually dial #777 from my BlackBerry, I get a message from USCC that my call cannot be completed. That is normal. The computer needs to put the BlackBerry into modem mode and then dial the number.

A good place for more information on tethering with USCC is USCellular.HowardForums.com. Search for the term tethering there. A lot of knowledgeable USCC employees monitor the HowardForums.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
jrusch
Thumbs Must Hurt

I forgot to mention: I started keeping track of my data usage on 4/2007. My average usage per month is 147mb. My highest usage was 175mb and my lowest 110mb. Some of the months I didn't tether at all, other months I did.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #15
kekahaman

Default Awesome

This is great. Very simple instructions and works perfectly. Thanks so much!

-d
kekahaman...
Closed Thread