Stu_Bee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default Outlook must be set to TentativelyAccept for Blackberry Users

Please Login to Remove!

If you uncheck the OWA (Outlook Web) calendar option to
"Automatically place new meeting requests on my calendar, marked tentative"

The result will be that ALL calendar invitations come into the blackberry as text emails (no accept/decline options)
===
Since this is a user configurable option in OWA, you think RIM would have a technote on this. But all they have is this one:
KB20866-Meeting invitations received from external domains show as regular email messages on the BlackBerry smartphone
Which is referring to external invites only and a different field.
===
I'm going to assume what we are experiencing with the "AddNewRequestsTentatively" value is also experienced by everyone else with Exchange/Blackberry environments.

If you have experiences one way or the other, please post.
thanks.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
RadHaz75
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: BALL
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Re: Outlook must be set to TentativelyAccept for Blackberry Users

its 2 fold, by default the processmeetingsfromexternal setting on exchange 2010 is set to false. although they show as text on the bb, they will show correctly as requests in outlook because outlook runs its own sniffer which determines its a request and treats it as such. bes does not make the same assumption and relies on the exchange server to tell it what it is. you would not want to enable this by default org wide because if you have meeting rooms set to autoaccept requests for booking, then anyone outside your org could potentially book your room (or perform other potentially malicious acts).

i dont fully understand why when calendarprocessing is not set to autoupdate, the bes will send it as an email instead of a request, however i have experienced this issue and setting it to autoupdate does correct the issue. i have found that most people will be set to autoupdate, but every once in a while i get a ticket for someone experiencing this issue and their calendarprocessing setting is set to none.

note i'm talking about the powershell settings, however your references to the ECP (and the same in EMC) settings are the same, just in GUI form.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
Stu_Bee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default Re: Outlook must be set to TentativelyAccept for Blackberry Users

Thanks for your confirmation that this is just how it works in BES/Exchange.... I come from a BES/Domino environment, so unfamiliar with it's gotchas.

I'm still surprised that a user configurable option (at least in owa) is not mentioned in any RIM KB as something that disables a feature of the Blackberry (ie calendar invitations). I've brought this up with RIM...
Closed Thread