Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #261
Kopter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

Please Login to Remove!

GREAT SOLUTION JEFFMIK !!!
Worked like a charm. I have had this Agenda view problem for quite some time.... that is.... until I read your post.

Thanks !
Old 08-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #262
GoblueNextel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopter View Post
GREAT SOLUTION JEFFMIK !!!
Worked like a charm. I have had this Agenda view problem for quite some time.... that is.... until I read your post.

Thanks !
Yep me too!!!! Thanks!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #263
fatbike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

So, has anyone seen an appreciable difference with the new OS? Is it worth doing, or do the problems outweigh the benefits?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #264
JT8D-217

PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
So, has anyone seen an appreciable difference with the new OS? Is it worth doing, or do the problems outweigh the benefits?
The upgrade did not fix the low ring volume, which problem has made me NOT recommend the VZW 8830 to at least 6 global traveling colleagues. If you can't hear it ring, you might as well carry a rock around in your pocket.

Also, the upgrade nuked my BES settings, which means another wasted hour on the phone tomorrow with my IT.

This device screams POOR SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, in my opinion. Nokia, please buy RIM.

Last edited by JT8D-217; 08-19-2007 at 12:50 PM..
Old 08-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #265
DeadRinga
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

If the newest Verizon OS adds A2DP support... why does my bluetooth headset still not play music / audio - other than normal phone calls?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #266
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8D-217 View Post
Also, the upgrade nuked my BES settings, which means another wasted hour on the phone tomorrow with my IT.
Umm, yeah, that happens with all OS upgrades on ANY RIM device. You just have to reactivate with BES each time. It's not earth shattering, but it's certainly NOT A PROBLEM with this update. Please "know" what you post.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #267
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8D-217 View Post
The upgrade did not fix the low ring volume, which problem has made me NOT recommend the VZW 8830 to at least 6 global traveling colleagues. If you can't hear it ring, you might as well carry a rock around in your pocket.

This device screams POOR SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, in my opinion. Nokia, please buy RIM.
The Enterprise Activation will happen automatically if you set up Desktop Manager properly and are connected to the email account associated with the BES.

The other method is to call your IT department and ask for an EA password. It only takes them a minute and you will be back in business. As mentioned, this is a normal process.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #268
Sniperet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Umm, yeah, that happens with all OS upgrades on ANY RIM device. You just have to reactivate with BES each time. It's not earth shattering, but it's certainly NOT A PROBLEM with this update. Please "know" what you post.
I did the upgrade yesterday using my work laptop connected to our WAN and had no problems with enterprise activation. I just left the phone connected to the laptop and the activation started automatically. It took a few minutes but there were no problems other than I didn't realize that the upgrade process had turned off the phone radio which required me to try and make a call before it gave me an option to turn it back on.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #269
brc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Who else?

If you flashed a vz 8830 with the Sprint firmware, would it give you gps?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #270
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc View Post
If you flashed a vz 8830 with the Sprint firmware, would it give you gps?
No, there is no way to get internal GPS on the Verizon 8830.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #271
fatbike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

So, assuming thatverizon gives you no doccumentation referring to the OS upgrade, how would one determine what changes take place? I am not a BES user so that issue is a non-issue, at least for me, but if the OS upgrade is nothing more than additional OS lockdowns (escalating ringtone gone?) and more aggrivation, I'll leave well enough alone or wait for the next one. Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #272
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Escalating ringtone is not gone.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #273
JT8D-217

Quote:
Ummm, well, I "know" it nuked my BES settings! And, no, its not earth shattering, but it is a PITA for a noob like me!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #274
JT8D-217

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
The Enterprise Activation will happen automatically if you set up Desktop Manager properly and are connected to the email account associated with the BES.

The other method is to call your IT department and ask for an EA password. It only takes them a minute and you will be back in business. As mentioned, this is a normal process.
This why I am reading this board: to learn from wizened old experts. I guess I missed the README.txt or whatever on the VZW site?? Or maybe I missed the pop-up Caution boxes when I backed-up to Desktop Manager???
Old 08-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #275
rollingstone

Quote:
Hmm works on mine. Just tested, third ring it escalates higher.

BTW, I recorded a old phone bell for a ring tone, and increased its volume in the process of converting it into an MP3. Thus on the phone it is quite loud, much louder than the built in ones.

-Glen
Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #276
fatbike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Excellent tip Glenn. Did that myself with a couple of custom ring tones I manipulated. Personally, I think the 8830 sounds incredible for the thin size of the phone and the speaker size. I have been able to find and re-engineer ringtones so that they are 'too' loud!
Old 08-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #277
fatbike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
Umm.. Yea I got that. I was just using that as an example of what another post'r was experiencing. My question is has anyone noticed any positive, defineable difference between the old OS and the new one. I'm not trying to come off as a jacka$$ here, but there are tons of posts out there about what Verizon hasn't done, GPS etc. I'm interested to know if they have done anything worth upgrading the OS for or is it much to do about nothing.
Thanks...
Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #278
d5coupe
No longer Registered.

Carrier: VZW

is it possible to reengineer the preloaded ringtones to make them louder?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #279
fatbike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by d5coupe View Post
is it possible to reengineer the preloaded ringtones to make them louder?
Not that I can find. Using Media Manager, it appears that any preloaded ringtones, wallpapers and themes are locked. I have been able to duplicate most of them on Mobile41 though. Using a free utility called WavePad you can manipulate any downloaded ringtone to your liking, then re-upload it to your phone and you are 'good-to-go'.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #280
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbike View Post

Umm.. Yea I got that. I was just using that as an example of what another post'r was experiencing. My question is has anyone noticed any positive, defineable difference between the old OS and the new one. I'm not trying to come off as a jacka$$ here, but there are tons of posts out there about what Verizon hasn't done, GPS etc. I'm interested to know if they have done anything worth upgrading the OS for or is it much to do about nothing.
Thanks...
Call collision was fixed, calendar was fixed (so you don't need the silly patch), network meter fluctuation fixed... certainly better then the older since it doesn't really cripple anything in the process of fixing those things.
Closed Thread