Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Jiggs5

Model: 8900
PIN: Alt Shift H
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default GPS and 4.6.1.206

Please Login to Remove!

I upgraded from .114 to .206 and my GPS radio would no longer receive a signal. I did a complete wipe and reinstalled .206 with the same results, no GPS signals. GPS reception works fine in .114.

Has anyone else experienced this same issue? If not, what version should I roll back to, .199 or .174 to test for the GPS reception? I definitely don't want to stay on .114!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (My Bold)

Make sure GPS is enabled in the options>status screen.

Also, make sure that your mapping program(I use google maps) has all its permissions set to allow
Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Jiggs5

Thanks.

Options > Advanced Options > GPS has Service set to Location On and Location Aiding set to Enabled. I've tried either one to off and both to off with the same results.

My default permissions to all apps is set to allow. Google Maps and even RIMs Blackberry Maps won't get a satellite signal.

Same results.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
BB8900awesome
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

you have to be moving to get a signal... get in your car, turn on GPS and drive... you will get a signal shortly after you start driving
Old 04-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
wawasteele
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile US

I don't have to be moving. I am sitting in my living room and just got connected to GPS. I don't see why moving should be an issue at all. I have heard some people need to be outside, so the signal can reach them easier.

Wanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB8900awesome View Post
you have to be moving to get a signal... get in your car, turn on GPS and drive... you will get a signal shortly after you start driving
Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Jiggs5

Two days on .114 with GPS reception and now nothing. I'm going to TMO to get the replacement. My guess is the GPS radio is starting to fail. None of the other BB OS versions will get me a satellite signal either.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
digitalextremes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggs5 View Post
Two days on .114 with GPS reception and now nothing. I'm going to TMO to get the replacement. My guess is the GPS radio is starting to fail. None of the other BB OS versions will get me a satellite signal either.
it might take a few minutes the first time you connect....make sure you give enough time (up to 5 mins)

then later on the connection should be quicker, also make sure you are not using two different mapping applications like google map and BB Maps at the same time, google maps connects to the GPS radio as soon as you launch it.

that's just what I noticed base on my experience.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB8900awesome View Post
Not true at all.

You need to have BB location services on and be outside with a clear view of the sky. This is especially important if this is the first time to access GPS data or if you are having trouble getting a satellite lock on. Be patient, it can take 20 minutes or longer.

I have found that knowing roughly where you are to start helps. Use GoogleMaps which uses cell tower triangulation to locate you while GPS is connecting really helps. Google can get you within 1700-2500 meters initially and that is generally good enough for GPS to lock on and find you more precisely.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Jiggs5

After 2 minutes of attempting to get a location update, this message appears - "GPS Location Update Failed". According to RIM support this is the time-out period to receive a satellite signal.

It appears getting a signal is hit or miss even standing in an open area with no obstructions to the sky. Also according to RIM support the GPS signal is predicated upon having a cellular connection as some data is exchanged during the initial signal reception.

RIM support suggested a replacement unit but that creates challenges for some of my PIN-based license keys on third-party apps. Just another hassle to get a replacement unit up and running.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
randall814

Carrier: Vodafone UK

having this same problem. i can't see it needing to take that long to figure it out. i get absolutely no activity on my GPS status. my iphone never had any trouble, and i certainly don't remember any waiting period.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

You need a BB data plan because the device must first download the ephemeris tables which tell it where to look for the satellites. They are not in a geo orbit, so the GPS receiver must know where to look and which satellite it is looking for.

-->>Twitter

Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
kd78

Carrier: Tmobile

I am having the same issue with .206

I have tried Gmaps, bbmaps, settings/refreshgps, etc and none of them work. I have kept Gmaps on for over an hour outside and still no luck.

Anyone have GPS working on .206??

I seriously doubt it is a hardware problem as it was just working with the last build I had.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I have GPS working on my BlackBerry 8900 with .206. Once I loaded it the signal did take a bit the first time to locate me. But it is working fine.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
wawasteele

Carrier: T-Mobile US

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd78 View Post
Anyone have GPS working on .206??
I have gps running without any problem on .206.

Wanda
Old 04-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Jiggs5

I spoke with RIM support directly and after a few troubleshooting techniques they have recommended to the carrier a replacement 8900. RIM suspects the GPS radio has failed on my device.

I have tried several different OS versions and I cannot receive a GPS update with any version even the TMO supported .114.

I should have my replacement early next week.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #16
tywana67

I'm new to the group. My question is Can
garmin software compatible for the BBC 8900? How do I go on this forium for BBC 8900 discusion?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #17
ctsouk

Default GPS issues on T-Mobile 8900

Im new to the group and to Blackberry.
I have been experiecing the same issue with my 8900 T-Mobile GPS. I spoke with T-Mobile, then transfered me to RIM. They said that your carier has to replace your phone. The phone came in today, opened up BB Maps and othing happened. No Sat connection. Same thing on Google Maps. Called T-Mobile again and now they tell me that I need TeleNav for the GPS to work. Downloaded it and again No GPS. I sent them back the phone the repalcement phone.
Is there an issue with the GPS on the phone? Do I need to download something? Looking for some help.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #18
Jiggs5

When my replacement arrived, I installed Google maps and the GPS worked. The replacement did not appear to be a refurb (likely not many in the system yet).

I use the GPS radio frequently with my Garmin installation, Google Maps and Poynt without any issues.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #19
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tywana67 View Post
I'm new to the group. My question is Can
garmin software compatible for the BBC 8900? How do I go on this forium for BBC 8900 discusion?
Welcome to the Forums.

It is bad form to hijack someone's thread.

Check out the GPS & Mapping section. There is a sticky at the top with a review of most of the map applications for use on a BB.

Also try a search.

-->>Twitter

Old 05-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #20
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsouk View Post
Im new to the group and to Blackberry.
I have been experiecing the same issue with my 8900 T-Mobile GPS. I spoke with T-Mobile, then transfered me to RIM. They said that your carier has to replace your phone. The phone came in today, opened up BB Maps and othing happened. No Sat connection. Same thing on Google Maps. Called T-Mobile again and now they tell me that I need TeleNav for the GPS to work. Downloaded it and again No GPS. I sent them back the phone the repalcement phone.
Is there an issue with the GPS on the phone? Do I need to download something? Looking for some help.
Welcome to the Forum.

Check my posts above and also look at the GPS & Mapping section.

First you need a BB data plan on the account. Then you need to make sure location services is on as mentioned above by Jiggs5 Options > Advanced Options > GPS has Service set to Location On and Location Aiding set to Enabled.

I recommend downloading GoogleMaps as it uses cell tower data and triangulation to locate you within 2500 meters or, which can make getting a GPS signal quicker.

Then you need to be outside with a clear view of the sky with GPS on, and let the device find the sats, lock on and start tracking. It can take 20 minutes or so, especially if it is the first time.

-->>Twitter

Closed Thread