BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
suse

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Sprint
Default Push-To-Talk

Please Login to Remove!

Ok so i just orded my bb7520 with no plan. I wanted to know what you guys would suggest for a good provider?? I'm in Maryland. Also with the push-to-talk function if i go with verizon as a provider will I be able to talk to my friends on nextel nextwork via push-to-talk? Also I will i be able to forward my email about to my phone??
Old 03-14-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
auser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: verizon

If you ordered a 7520, then your provider will have to be Nextel. If I'm not mistaken, 7520 are exclusively Nextel branded phones. As far as using PTT (pust to talk) across providers, that is not possible at the moment. Nextel customers can on PTT with other Nextel customers.. and Verizon with Verizon. Nextel and Sprint have merged, so look for the ability to PTT with Sprint users in the near future.

Auser
Old 03-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

You cannot use that BlackBerry with Verizon.

Verizon uses CDMA, Nextel uses iDEN, SprintPCS uses CDMA, and T-Mobile, Cingular/ATTWireless use GSM.

Now, had you purchased a GSM Blackberry, unlocked, you could pick between Cingular and T-Mobile, but the CDMA providers usually don't let you supply your own equipment, because they suck like that.

Nextel is very limited to a handful of handsets that work with their goofy network.

Nextel does, however, have good coverage up and down Maryland and into DC/NoVA. The Nextel offices in Reston VA, for example have excellent coverage

If you want to use Verizon, you'll have to buy a Verizon BlackBerry, and the only BlackBerry that does Push-To-Talk are the Nextel models.

And that is one of the things I thank God for every night before falling asleep.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #4
ToddziLLa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempai
And that is one of the things I thank God for every night before falling asleep.
Getting an anti-Nextel vibe from you my friend! Why so?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
suse

Model: 7100T

Yeah me too! LOL... How good is nextel for sms and email services??
Old 03-14-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Nextel is the worst for SMS on the BlackBerry because it doesn't work.

You can receive an SMS, but it will not show you where it is from.

You cannot send an SMS natively, you have to use an Email-to-SMS gateway.

The BES connectivity is independent of Nextel or any other operator. Same with the BWC. Email works like every other BlackBerry out there.

The reason I don't like Nextel is merely cultural. While I think the iDEN network is a bit goofy and not especially interesting, Nextel does a lot of really interesting stuff with their location services.

Having said that, I think PTT is the dumbest idea ever, and in my neck of the woods I am constantly barraged with people having private conversations on speakerphone, complete with sound effects. So much like my hatred of olives and the font "Comic Sans", it really doesn't have any basis other than a visceral reaction of disdain.

Also - The Nextel BlackBerrys have the worst battery life of the bunch - my 6710 on Nextel can only last one day.

Pay me no mind. To each their own, of course. The limitations with battery life and SMS usage still stand, however. Though to be fair I may be extra-tainted, so someone else will have to chime in and be an iDEN expert.

Last edited by sempai; 03-14-2005 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Forgot to comment on Email service
Old 03-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #7
yahtzee
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempai
So much like my hatred of olives and the font "Comic Sans", it really doesn't have any basis other than a visceral reaction of disdain.

Also - The Nextel BlackBerrys have the worst battery life of the bunch - my 6710 on Nextel can only last one day.
Too funny...i hate olives AND Comic Sans, but i have to add in pickles to the mix..anyway.....6710 on nextel?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:09 AM   #8
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee
Too funny...i hate olives AND Comic Sans, but i have to add in pickles to the mix..anyway.....6710 on nextel?
You can hate pickles if you like their un-pickled siblings, cucumbers.

My apologies, it is a 6510. I was just so infuriated I saw red ;)
Old 03-15-2005, 03:36 PM   #9
dazedays

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Thumbs up

I use a 7510 with the extended life batt, and I get almost 3 full days out of the batt! No Nextel phone (moto branded) gets that kind of standby time period!

I even have set the auto on/off, and with about 6 hours off during the wee hours, (Obviously while I'm asleep) and I have stretched out the batt life to about 4 days!

Although the BB is bulky in your hand, the benefits of pushed email using Nextels Web client is superb!

I have 6 different email addresses loaded into the web client, and I recieve my email all day, without ever having to stop at all to check a computer!

As an IT administrator, nothing is better, then being able to avoid a computer now and then!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:54 PM   #10
Dfen

I have a 7520 and it is big and sometimes nearly impossible to drive in the car with while on your hip. I do like the PTT feature and the button location makes it really easy to use.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:56 AM   #11
maverickvergara
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330

the ptt featur is what makes nextel, well, nextel, it isn't for everyone, but it is very useful for others. On battery life, the standard battery doesn't do much at all, but the extened battery life lasts longer than any other Nextel phone.
Closed Thread