Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
ang_pilosopo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Globe Telecom
Default Pls help me decide Storm vs Bold

Please Login to Remove!

Hi I am an 8830WE user to be upgrading soon, and need your opinions and suggestions on which to purchase.

I would be generally using the BB for SMS.
Also, I receive a lot of calls, so battery life is very important.
I would also be using the BB for emails, browsing, and social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks.

8900 and 9700
www.twitter.com/rvmitra
Old 08-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Carrier: at&t

Generally, people that send a good amount of SMS and E-Mails prefer a physical keyboard, which would eliminate the Storm as a viable option.

If you are willing to wait, I would suggest you wait for either the Storm 2 or Bold 2 (9700). Both are moderate improvements over the Storm 1 and Bold 1 (9000).
Old 08-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

I agree with Shaun. It does become an issue of touch screen or not

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
ang_pilosopo

is the touch screen really that bad? or just need getting used to it?
how about the battery life of bold? i've read in gsmarena that it gets drained easily.

in terms of playing videos and mp3s? which one do you think is better?

actually i couldn't wait anymore for the 2nd gen of both phones.

8900 and 9700
www.twitter.com/rvmitra
Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Carrier: at&t

Yes, the Storm 1 Touch Screen is not very good if you are a heavy email/SMS user.

The Bold battery is drain failry quickly when compared to other BlackBerry's, especially when running many apps, and left on 3G Network Option. Rogers Bolds, and AT&T Bolds running the new .297 OS have the option to revert to 2G only. This dramatically increases battery life over the course of the day.

Best thing you can do is drop by a retail store, and try them out. As always, selecting a phone that is right for you, is based entirely on you.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
ang_pilosopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Rogers Bolds, and AT&T Bolds running the new .297 OS have the option to revert to 2G only. This dramatically increases battery life over the course of the day.
can also revert from 2G to 3G? will probably need 3G for wifi / browsing purposes.

in terms of playing songs and viewing photos/videos, which one is better?

8900 and 9700
www.twitter.com/rvmitra
Old 08-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
metrodon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: voda

I am on day 1 as a switcher from a Bold to a Storm and I have to say that the Storm is impressing me a lot.

As always with these things it comes down to what you want to do with it - I have an iPhone and a Blackberry. The iPhone is so far ahead as far as media is concerned that it's quite scary. But for email and as a phone, the BB win hands down.

If you are going to be sending a lot of long emails then get a Bold, if you are just going to be using it to send quick mails whilst you are away from your computer then don't be afraid of the Storm.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
craigw9292
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

The physical touch/click screen is nice but the software is so bad it just isn't worth it - I can spell better than it if that tells you anything.

I had a bold before my storm and the bold rocked! it is a rock solid phone, durable and great for typing.

-c
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
ang_pilosopo

it's a tough decision. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

8900 and 9700
www.twitter.com/rvmitra
Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

I had a Pearl for a year and loved it. Then I got a Storm last December. I love it. I do a fair bit of typing on my Storm and I like it just fine for that. The Pearl was always very responsive to the keyboard, but the keys are really tiny. The Storm can sometimes be laggy in responding to the keyboard - especially if there's a lot of apps running in the background. But, the keys (in SureType mode) are a lot larger than the Pearl keys, so it's easier to be accurate. Overall, a very worthy tradeoff for the much larger screen.

Now, I don't think I would be happy with any phone with a screen smaller than the Storm's. Google Maps, Facebook, MySpace, or any other app where you would be looking at images just s*cks on other phones with a screen the size of what you find on phones like the Bold (in my opinion).

All that said, there is NO WAY I would enter into a new contract now for a Storm or a Bold, when I could wait 2 months and get the Storm 2.
Verizon 9550

Last edited by StuartV; 08-28-2009 at 03:41 PM..
Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
Socialblackberry

Carrier: vzw

I would not get the Storm / wait untill the storm 2 arrives in nov or get the bold I like the full keyboard w/ physical buttons
Old 08-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

I have used several Blackberry devices, and I love the Storm. I use it more and more as a media player, converting videos and loading my playlists onto it.

The latest 9530 software really has made an improvement. Typing is good, much more responsive, and re-boots non-existent.

The best advice is to spend some time with both. Take you time exploring them at a store. If you dont like it, you can usually exchange one for the other within 30 days.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask
Default Storm vs Bold

It's been a while however this is a good one to start back with.

My work partner has a Bold and I absolutely love the look of the phone. Very sleek, sexy and modern. You won't catch me saying anything bad about it.

When it comes to emailing. We both SMS/email extensively. I am lightning fast on my Storm and from a simple texting point, I will say unequivocally with practice on either phone there is absolutely no difference. NONE.

I also compose emails and I am willing to concede a moderate edge to physical keyboard users but this is more of a software issue because the Storm keyboard can occasionally glitch.

Physical phones do operate faster. No contest there. The Bold can be navigated quicker. There is simply a more pleasant transitioning experience on the Storm. Prepare for substantially more visual appeal with the Storm touchscreen.

If you are a highspeed person and need to crank out many pieces of professional written communications, go with the Bold. The Bold is an amazing work device and will not disappoint you when under the gun.

If you want a work horse that will also entertain you substantially off the clock, the Storm wins by a mile. Overall, the Storm is just fun to play with and I paw mine more than my wife...or at least its a close call.

I do suggest you go handle both devices before making your decision. If you also don't own either device yet, wait it out a month or two for the 2nd Gen models being that you're likely to sign a two year deal for a break on the unit pricing.

Hope that helps!

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 09-01-2009 at 12:33 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

I don't care what none of yall say, but I sure do miss my trusty 8700g.

I own a storm now (switched from a Bold 9000) and like it. But if you text a lot, email alot, go with something with a keyboard - it would be easier in the long run!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: ATT

I am on the fence as well - I own a Bold and love it - very fast for emails and sms - however I crave for that "iphone like experience" with Blackberry so the Storm is tempting me - I am on ATT so I would have to buy an unlocked 9530.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #16
Cr-Photography

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange

I am on the fence atm... i currently have a Bold on the Orange network (in UK obviously) and i'd really like to have a storm, i've messed around with the typing etc on a friends and find it quite a pleasure to use. only downside is in the UK they're only available on Vodafone so i'm going to have to get an unlocked one... although i may hang tight with my bold until the next gen storm comes out!
Old 09-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
jnoone

I have owned my storm for almost a year now and I love it. I have not had any of the major problems that a lot of people have had.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:39 AM   #18
BerryMotion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

BOLD! Storm is nice, but come on, its not as practicle, i think they only made it to compete with the iphone!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #19
blackberryfreeware
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-mobile

Looking at your carrier is Smart, most likely its a corporate account. Speed is essential if you plan to use the phone for business and even for personal use.
The Bold is really fast and a solid phone with a gorgeous screen. But I still carry an unlocked storm with me as a media player. I just wish they make the typing more accurate.
By the way if you saw the last world texting competition, the guy in the finals had an old blackberry 8800.

Last edited by blackberryfreeware; 09-06-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Old 09-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #20
bigwillokc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Nobody mentioned that the Storm also lacks Wifi, which can be a show stopper for some or non-issue for others, but definitely worth mentioning. Completely inexcusable if you ask me....market a device as media friendly and then leave Wifi off of it.
Closed Thread