Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
ggonzales114

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default wifi connection issue

Please Login to Remove!

I recently bought a 8900 curve from T-mobile and I can't get my wifi connection to work. My home wireless router is open and have no problem with my blackberry bold or laptops connecting to the wireless router. When I go through set up wifi menu and will say it successfully connected, but the wifi icon under the EDGE display in the top right screen is gray and not white. under the connection icon, the Wifi is checked off, but has a dash "-" next to it and not a green check mark.

I've rebooted the device and router, but it's definitly a device problem. I've tried the ping test and it times out.

Can anyone help with the issue?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Smacca
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q10
Carrier: O2 Ireland

I have had continuing problems with exactly this issue, and nothing I do seems to be able to resolve it. I have switched the browser configuration (in advanced settings) to and from Hotspot Browser, tried switching on and off wi-fi, upgraded the OS several times, but nothing works. Every now and then -- and the killer is that I just cannot figure out why -- the thing connects properly, I get the green check mark instead of the line, and all my e-mails, IM messages, etc,flow into my device. Then, for no particular reason that I can discern, it stops, and I cannot even use the browser because although it says it is "Requesting...", it just doesn't work.

Most of the time this doesn't bother me, because I have an all-you-can-eat data service with my mobile provider, but when I'm roaming, and I don't want to run up the absolutely outrageous, thieving roaming data charges that the telecom regulators in every country permit my and almost every other mobile company to charge, I need that wi-fi connection to work. (In fact, it's one of the main reasons I bought the 8900.)
Old 05-01-2009, 02:47 AM   #3
Vec1975

Carrier: Orange UK

Same here.....mine has been working faultlessly for the last 3 months and then all of a sudden it's stopped and just can't get it to work.....Anyone think it is a handset fault or not? May approach my provider to see what they say??
Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
imports

Carrier: Rogers

im having the same problem like you guys and i just got mine yesterday.this sux bigtime
Old 05-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
styl3z

Carrier: fido

Had the same problem. Under options>Mobile Network check to see if Data Services is on. That's what I did and got it to work.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Ramazing

Carrier: AT&T

I'm having this problem as well. Ugh. So frustrating! I've literally messed with ALL of the settings, and nothing will fix this.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
cjgonzales1900
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

had same problem lol easy fix go to the browser when it doesnt work and click the menu then options then Browser config Change browser to HotSpot then go back and select general prop and change the browser to hotspot this will make sure you are using WIFI instead of your DATA PLAN
iPhone 3G 16GB White - Bold 9000 - Storm 9530 - Curve 8320
All on AT&T and Unlocked
Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
ggonzales114

If your wifi router is open, I would try and configure it with a WEP or WPA security code. the blackberry tech guy told me to do so. It work for the the 8900 and the 9000.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
cortiz179
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggonzales114 View Post
If your wifi router is open, I would try and configure it with a WEP or WPA security code. the blackberry tech guy told me to do so. It work for the the 8900 and the 9000.
can you give more info on this?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
brownboy0000

Set your phone option from the tmobile browser option to hotspot browser and save the option you should be fun
Old 06-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Smacca
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q10
Carrier: O2 Ireland

Thanks for that, ggonzales114; unfortunately I have tried it with both open and password protected wi-fi networks, and it makes no difference.

I notice that there are dozens of people on these forums alone who are experiencing similar problems with RIM's wi-fi features. I think it's reasonable to assume that RIM is aware of this problem, but, strangely, I haven't seen much in the way of action to resolve it. This is a shame, because the Blackberry is a great device.

So if there is anyone from RIM reading this, what I (and I'm guessing most other users) would like you to do next is really simple: Make wi-fi kick in automatically on Blackberry any time there is an available open or previously-configured signal available that is quicker than the EDGE or GPRS or 3G signal. Make it so that if the wi-fi signal drops or fades (for example as the user is walking away), the mobile provider's signal kicks back in. And make this arrangement -- where the phone automatically chooses the best connection available -- the default setting once the user enables wi-fi.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
dsader

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
Thanks for that, ggonzales114; unfortunately I have tried it with both open and password protected wi-fi networks, and it makes no difference.

I notice that there are dozens of people on these forums alone who are experiencing similar problems with RIM's wi-fi features. I think it's reasonable to assume that RIM is aware of this problem, but, strangely, I haven't seen much in the way of action to resolve it. This is a shame, because the Blackberry is a great device.

So if there is anyone from RIM reading this, what I (and I'm guessing most other users) would like you to do next is really simple: Make wi-fi kick in automatically on Blackberry any time there is an available open or previously-configured signal available that is quicker than the EDGE or GPRS or 3G signal. Make it so that if the wi-fi signal drops or fades (for example as the user is walking away), the mobile provider's signal kicks back in. And make this arrangement -- where the phone automatically chooses the best connection available -- the default setting once the user enables wi-fi.
3 weeks ago, I was terribly frustrated with my new 8900(I'm a newb so I have no idea what software verison it had). I couldn't stay connected to a wi-fi anywhere for more than a few minutes without having to pull the battery to reconnect. I updated my OS(190223-latest-os-8900-4-6-1-353-4-6-1-231-english-east-asian) 2 weeks ago and have never pulled the battery since. At work, I can walk from wi-fi to EDGE and back to a new wi-fi(6 different wireless networks in different parts of the building) multiple times a day and the 8900 always auto connects(wma/wi-fi all day everywhere, and at home) it now works flawlessly. If I am in a wi-fi area, it always auto-switches to wi-fi. A wi-fi fix was definitely part of the latest OS update, I am convinced.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
absolutequiet

Carrier: t mobile

Hi people,

I just got a new BB 8900 last week. I can't seem to stay connected to WIFI and UMA for more than minutes. I also have data plan, but was told that WIFI is a lot faster than EDGE. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Is this a problem with my device? If so, I may need to return it soon while I still can. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
absolutequiet

Carrier: t mobile

Also, once my 8900 disconnects from wifi, it actuall still displays the WIFI and UMA logo. So I can no longer call AND receive phone calls until I turn off WIFI.

Anyone know what the problem is?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
cortiz179
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

i have a bold w/ same issues, i dont have a data plan is what AT&T told me.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
mancpg

Carrier: Orange
Default 8900 drops signal from router when not active (test using ping)

Hi,

I just received my Curve 8900 from Orange UK a few days ago. So far I love it but I have been experiencing problems with its WiFi in my home.

The phone connects to the wireless router, once I turn on WiFi, then connects to UMA with the WiFi symbol lit up. However, after a few minutes, the internet over the wireless internet drops, the phone shows that it is still connected to the router, but there is a white dash instead of a green check near the wireless connection. If I have the mobile access off, the UMA disappears and the Wifi turns grey, with no GPRS and no connection to the internet.

At first, I thought there may have been a problem reaching the BIS from the router or that there was a problem with the DNS server or something like that. In fact, the error messages using the WiFi diagnostics tool (in advanced mode) under Options->WiFi, displayed those kinds of error messages.

However, trying a little experiment, I found that with my laptop, I could ping the IP address of the Blackberry 8900 when the UMA and WiFI icons were on and there was a green check near the wireless router. However, when there was a white dash, the 8900 could not be pinged, *even though* it showed that it was still connected to the router.

This shows that in fact, the 8900 is actually dropping the connection to the router!

You can test this further by going into Options->Wifi and selecting Ping from the Wifi Tools and trying to ping the gateway (the router, that is -- it's one of the options you can select). If the UMA/Wifi connection has dropped, but the 8900 still shows the device as connected to the router, pinging the router still results in a timeout.

To test the idea that the 8900 disconnects itself from the router when not active, I had my laptop send continues pings to the device when the connection to the WiFi was newly established (turning off Wifi, then turning it on again seems to result in a brief space of UMA/WiFI access). With the laptop pinging the 8900 every second, I was able to maintain a *solid* WiFi connection over the entire period (over a half hour), being able to connect to the internet from anywhere in the house, without the connection dropping.

Similarly, using the Ping tool on the 8900 (under Options->Wifi, Wifi Tools) set to 'self' ping, and number of pings = 1000, the 8900 did not drop the WiFi connection during this interval.

Once the pings stop (either from the laptop or the self ping tool), the 8900 drop the WiFi connection and drops the connection to the router.

It seems as if there is either a problem with the device or the firmware. It seems sensible that the 8900 would try to save some battery life when it is not using the WiFi connection, but it seems as if this is causing it to disconnect from the router and there is a problem with it reconnecting to it when a request is made, either from a browser or anywhere else, to connect to the internet via WiFi.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and if there is some way of notifying Blackberry about this if this is the case.
Closed Thread