andrewy

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ORANGE UK
Default Will 8900 Sync With Apple Macs

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

newbie here....

Thinking of getting a BB 8900 Curve, via Vodafone UK, but am also thinking of moving from XP PRO over to Macbook, probably running Entourage.....

Can I sync the BB with Entourage on the mac.....?

Have heard can be loads of problems using BB with apple OS X.....?

cheers
andrew
Old 04-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
raja_3012
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhn4
Carrier: AT&T

The only things which keeps me from completely shifting over to the mac platform is the lack of support. RIM is yet to come up with a version of DM which works seamless on the leopard as it does over Windows XP.

However, I think if you have Desktop Parallels or VM ware or even boot camp (comes free) you can install Windows XP and use it as a normal windows machine.

There is a dedicated mac section in this forum.. you can browse through some of the posts to understand the pros cons.

BTW .. Welcome to BlackBerry Forums. We are glad that you are here.

Nokia 2100 > Nokia 6100 > Samsung t319 > Nokia 5300 > Blackberry 8320 > Blackberry 8900 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4
Old 04-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
watkins.glen

Model: 8900
PIN: 25880E0A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewy View Post
Hi,

newbie here....

Thinking of getting a BB 8900 Curve, via Vodafone UK, but am also thinking of moving from XP PRO over to Macbook, probably running Entourage.....

cheers
andrew
What data are you looking to sync?

I have an 8900 and a MacBook. I don't use Entourage anymore, but have not had any problems getting information off my MB onto my BB.

The software that I used to get my contacts & calender data over to my bb was Pocket Mac. I then stopped using this 'cos I started using Blackberry Media Sync to get music over to my curve. Now I use DoubleTwist which gets music and photos across to the bb (and vice versa)

None of the options match BB desktop manager for Windows as a seamless app, but you could take a look at Blackberry Missing Sync. I was going to buy this, but found that the apps I've previously mentioned match my needs. I used Missing Sync for Palm, and its a very good product.

I use Parallels for my college course, and have not had any problems with using Blackberry DM with it, but rarely use it. I've installed Vista via Bootcamp just for getting OS updates onto my curve - it simply doesn't work when doing updates via Parallels. Also, using Vista via Bootcamp is a bit hit and miss 'cos the drivers that ship with the MacBook don't install properly in Vista - I've not been able to get wireless, the Touchpad and iSight to work properly under bootcamp, which is why I installed Parallels.

Glen
Old 04-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
morfy50
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Do yourself a favor and use bootcamp, parallels, or something similar. Better yet, use a friends PC.

You'll save yourself a lot of frustration.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Moved to the Mac Users Corner. You can also use the SEARCH function.

Been asked many times and the answer is still the same. Both PocketMac and MissingSync support the BB on the MAC, however, there are some who can't make it work correctly for them. I would give it a try and see if it works for you.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 04-27-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Old 04-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
Ritsuke
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: BEL Proximus

Try with Pocketmac first then try the Missing Sync as it's a paid application. However, don't use both the same time as you may encounter or arise problems that way.

If your Mac is strong enough to be used with Parallels then I advice you to do so. You can then sync all your contacts, calendars, ... via Windows using a better sync manager. Not only does it work better, it allows you to do more as well.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
bolthead
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: UP GIRLS
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewy View Post
Hi,

newbie here....

cheers
andrew
I have had much better luck using Missing Sync vs PocketMac, unless you plan on upgrading OS or PC app install you don't need a PC to use a Blackberry, I've run for a year and a half and have synced exclusively with a Mac, I prefer and have had good luck with iCal, address book and syncing I for one am not a fan of Entourage so I don't use it.

Now when I've felt brave and installed a beta OS I've had to seek out a PC to use for that but if I understand your question you just want to know if you can sync effectively with a Mac and the answer is yes.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
van1200

Carrier: /

Hi all,

I need to upgrade my 8900 OS, and I have an iMac.. Can anyone help me to find a solution, without using boot camp (Windows XP ..)

Many thanks
Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
rvinny
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritsuke View Post
Try with Pocketmac first then try the Missing Sync as it's a paid application. However, don't use both the same time as you may encounter or arise problems that way.

If your Mac is strong enough to be used with Parallels then I advice you to do so. You can then sync all your contacts, calendars, ... via Windows using a better sync manager. Not only does it work better, it allows you to do more as well.
The problem with this method is how do you sync the data from your virtual machine back to the Mac desktop? I use iCal and Address Book.
Closed Thread