Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy Desktop Manager 4.2 Bluetooth; Failure to find device

Please Login to Remove!

Oh mighty Swamis, has anyone experienced difficulty in connecting an 8100 to Desktop Mgr V4.2 via bluetooth? I've paired my device with the desktop OS via the XP control panel. The search operation there yielded about a dozen devices that are around me including my own however, when I attempt to pair with the DM 4.2 application, the application's search for devices yields nothing.

I've used both the detect function, and also configure Bluetooth-> Add. Both methods yield the same result;
"The BlackBerry Device Manager cannot locate a supported Bluetooth enabled device. Verify that the Bluetooth enabled device is configured for use with the BlackBerry Desktop Software. For more info....." The help info below that suggests I verify the device is on and paired with my computer, which it is.

I recently upgraded my DM from 4.2 to 4.3 and had no similar issues with the Bluetooth connectivity while running at 4.2.

I had previously said my issue was with 4.2. It is not, it's with 4.3.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CO_BBTechie; 01-24-2008 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Again, to clarify prior DM version
Old 01-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie

28 views and not one suggestion? I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who's experienced this issue. I should mention I'm having the problem on my desktop, as well as my laptop... and I still haven't figured out why.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
hsuanstr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Same with me, I can pair with desktop perfectly. However when I open up desktop manager the bluetooth setting area is grey-ed out and I can't select anything.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
tricky_ott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

If you are on a BES, this is a setting that can be disabled by IT policy. In fact I believe disabled is the default.

**edit. I just checked my BES and it is indeed set to disabled by default. It's in the IT policy Bluetooth group.

Last edited by tricky_ott; 01-25-2008 at 03:16 PM..
Old 01-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
CO_BBTechie

I just checked the policy, and it appears that your statement may not be accurate. The Bluetooth policy group states; "In the absence of this rule, a default value of "FALSE" will be used." Since we have nothing specified, one would assume that our policy is not preventing Bluetooth operations. Also, As I had stated previously, I had no problem using Bluetooth with the previous (4.2) release of Desktop Manager. My issues began only after trying to setup Bluetooth with the newest (4.3) version of DM. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Palm2BB

Model: 8100

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What's the advantage of using BT over USB?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
CO_BBTechie

Wireless synchronization with Outlook is what I'm after primarily. On a side note, I hear that the technology for wireless charging exists, but hasn't been perfected yet.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
Palm2BB

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What's the advantage of using BT over USB?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
CO_BBTechie

You're repeating yourself..."Wireless" is the obvious advantage of BT over USB.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
Palm2BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
You're repeating yourself..."Wireless" is the obvious advantage of BT over USB.
Sorry about that. I hit "back" a few times on my browser...

Have you seen the article here?Set up Bluetooth connectivity with BlackBerry Desktop Manager
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
CO_BBTechie

I had seen that, yes. Thanks. I think I'm going to roll back to 4.2 and see if I can re-establish BT connectivity.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
Palm2BB

I'm on 4.2 and tried setting up Bluetooth to no avail. Any idea how to make it work if there's no BT icon in the systray, nothing in the Control Panel, and nothing happens when I run bthprops.cpl? I do have a blue BT indicator light that's always on, and there's a Dell BT adapter installed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
tricky_ott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
I just checked the policy, and it appears that your statement may not be accurate. The Bluetooth policy group states; "In the absence of this rule, a default value of "FALSE" will be used." Since we have nothing specified, one would assume that our policy is not preventing Bluetooth operations. Also, As I had stated previously, I had no problem using Bluetooth with the previous (4.2) release of Desktop Manager. My issues began only after trying to setup Bluetooth with the newest (4.3) version of DM. Thanks for the reply though.
I was referring to the "Disable Desktop Connectivity" policy.

Its definition is " Specify whether the BlackBerry device can use Bluetooth technology to connect to the Desktop Manager".

If you do not set this rule a default value of True will be used.

Therefore, by default, this functionality is disabled.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
CO_BBTechie

You my friend, are a genius! Thank you so much. That seems to have been it. Also, I had to connect via USB at least once, before I was able to add the Bluetooth profile and successfully find my device. This still doesn't explain why I was able to connect with DM4.2 previously, unless the BES admin I replaced had done something with that option between the time it worked for me before, and now. Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #15
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuanstr View Post
Same with me, I can pair with desktop perfectly. However when I open up desktop manager the bluetooth setting area is grey-ed out and I can't select anything.
Have you already paired your phone at the OS level? It's my understanding that your Bluetooth options in DM are not available to you, until you have paired your phone with the operating system.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #16
mikeyharm

PIN: 242D9376
Default Similar, but wierd...

I've got a similar, but strange issue happening here:

My BlackBerry Device Manager can see the Bluetooth-connected 8310, but Desktop manager never starts sync, or recognizes that the device is set up.

If I use USB, everything works. If I remove all of the BT settings and start over, the BB Device Manager (and the DM connection options) both see the 'Berry, but the PIN is never shown at the bottom of the DM window. I'm confused. I thought that if Device Manager saw a device, that you were home free.

I'm running DM 4.3 and Windows Vista Ultimate x64
(please don't tell me that's the problem because all other BT functionality is fine and DM works fine over USB).

Thanks for any help you guys can provide! I appreciate it!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #17
hsuanstr

Quote:
I was referring to the "Disable Desktop Connectivity" policy.

Its definition is " Specify whether the BlackBerry device can use Bluetooth technology to connect to the Desktop Manager".

If you do not set this rule a default value of True will be used.

Therefore, by default, this functionality is disabled.
How do I the value to be true?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #18
hsuanstr

bump help plz
Old 02-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
marcoaramburo

Model: 8300
Carrier: Movistar

I do all the Set up Bluetooth connectivity with BlackBerry Desktop Manager link explain, but int he task 6, step task 4, the system doesnt recongnize my device, i open my bluetooth places and i see my phone there, so its paired, i have a linksys usb bluetooht, i dont know if i hace to do something there, and up, when you said "I was referring to the "Disable Desktop Connectivity" policy." i dont know whats that, i get lost there.

tks
Old 02-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
hsuanstr

is it true the 8320 has no bluetooth sync feature?
Closed Thread