BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #21
BigPete74

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Thanks a lot for the info. I may try getting to RIM support from my provider (Verizon). I have a really really tough time biting the bullet on that $50 bucks for something so simple.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #22
misterb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
Carrier: cingular

Ok, guys. I just got off the phone with RIM, and they have shed some light on this that makes sense now. If you are using BIS, there is no way to get instant push with Google apps. It goes out to check for mail every 15 minutes. If there is new mail, it will go out in another 3 minutes. If there is mail, it will go out in another 3 minutes, then 6, then 9. Basically they're trying to make it easier for you to receive replies back and forth with a person quickly, but if you're just receiving an email here and there it will appear that it is taking 15 minutes to receive them.

I really think you're wasting your time spending money on this service with RIM. They didn't even charge me to tell me the above, and I was more than willing to pay the fee to get it working.

If you were using BES, that would be a different story.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #23
BigPete74

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterb View Post
Ok, guys. I just got off the phone with RIM, and they have shed some light on this that makes sense now. If you are using BIS, there is no way to get instant push with Google apps. It goes out to check for mail every 15 minutes. If there is new mail, it will go out in another 3 minutes. If there is mail, it will go out in another 3 minutes, then 6, then 9. Basically they're trying to make it easier for you to receive replies back and forth with a person quickly, but if you're just receiving an email here and there it will appear that it is taking 15 minutes to receive them.

I really think you're wasting your time spending money on this service with RIM. They didn't even charge me to tell me the above, and I was more than willing to pay the fee to get it working.

If you were using BES, that would be a different story.
This is so inaccurate it's not even funny. I am on BIS, yes BIS, not BES. I have 3 domains using Google Apps and all 3 push mail instantly. In fact, it's so instant that I get the emails on my BlackBerry before my googletalk desktop client gets the notification.

I did exactly what this thread said to do except I called my provider (verizon) and had them put me through to RIM to avoid the charge. I spent about 10 minutes on the phone with Verizon BlackBerry support before they went ahead and called RIM. The guy from RIM knew EXACTLY what I was talking about and what needed to be done. I gave him the 3 domain names, he added them to a database, and all was good to go. The entire process took less than 30 minutes and now I have push email on 3 domains. It's fantastic and my users that have emails at those domains with blackberries love it!

So yeah, if you are having problems getting push email to work with your google apps domain then call your provider and try to get them to get RIM involved. If they won't pony up and pay the money.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #24
grep

Model: 8800
Carrier: vzw

I have some questions/clarifications. Great thread guys btw!

1. Someone mentioned that Google Apps Premier is better for this. How so?
2. I should call my carrier Verizon Wireless and tell them what exactly, I need to enable push for my Google Apps domain?
3. Does syncing two-way work now? If I were to read a message on the Gmail interface, would it sync up with the blackberry instantly?
4. Does anyone use Google Apps with Outlook? I know IMAP is kinda buggy with Outlook, any experiences?
5. I know there is calendar sync for the BB, how about contacts, anyway to sync them up?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #25
BigPete74

Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
I have some questions/clarifications. Great thread guys btw!

1. Someone mentioned that Google Apps Premier is better for this. How so?
2. I should call my carrier Verizon Wireless and tell them what exactly, I need to enable push for my Google Apps domain?
3. Does syncing two-way work now? If I were to read a message on the Gmail interface, would it sync up with the blackberry instantly?
4. Does anyone use Google Apps with Outlook? I know IMAP is kinda buggy with Outlook, any experiences?
5. I know there is calendar sync for the BB, how about contacts, anyway to sync them up?

Thanks
I'm gonna go down the list here:

1. I don't see how this can be true. I have Google Apps Standard and it works as it should. I don't see any features offered by the Premier edition that would make it "better". It's simple, you either get the emails on your phone instantly or you don't.

2. Do you want me to write out exactly what you should say? Just call them, go through the menus and get to Verizons BlackBerry people. At that point, tell them you have a domain hosted through Google Apps and the email is not pushing instantly. Depending on who you get, they will probably talk you through a bunch of crap. If you're a technical person, you will have an easier time with this. I was honest and up front with the person who answered the phone. I told them my problem and I told them that I knew the only way to fix it properly was to speak with RIM. He put me on hold and came back with a guy from RIM. The RIM representative knew instantly what I was talking about. He took my 3 domain names came back a few minutes later and everything has been golden since. I even lost my phone connection and the guy from RIM called ME back.

3. This does not work. I have had crazy things happen where I delete something from gmail and sometime later it disappears from my BlackBerry but it's not consistent. I have tested it but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

4. My wife uses Outlook (I use the web interface) although I have it setup using POP and not IMAP.

5. None as of now. There might be some way you can rig it where you sync the BlackBerry with Outlook and then sync that with gmail but there is no direct way to sync your BlackBerry with your gmail (or google apps hosted domain) contacts.

Google does make available BlackBerry clients for accessing your mail and your contacts are available that way. But that's just a program that runs on your BlackBerry, I like the push email best. It's only about 95% perfect but thats close enough for me. I can deal with the little quirks here and there.

Well, I was going to provide links for you but the admins feel that no one with less than 10 posts should be allowed to put links up. I'm sure you can find the Google clients yourself.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #26
grep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPete74 View Post
1. I don't see how this can be true. I have Google Apps Standard and it works as it should. I don't see any features offered by the Premier edition that would make it "better". It's simple, you either get the emails on your phone instantly or you don't.
The only reason I think I might pay for it is for the 24/7 "real" support and the SLA. I just feel a little bit more secure in case something ever were to happen, god forbid, to Google's servers ;)

Quote:
2. Do you want me to write out exactly what you should say? Just call them, go through the menus and get to Verizons BlackBerry people. At that point, tell them you have a domain hosted through Google Apps and the email is not pushing instantly. Depending on who you get, they will probably talk you through a bunch of crap. If you're a technical person, you will have an easier time with this. I was honest and up front with the person who answered the phone. I told them my problem and I told them that I knew the only way to fix it properly was to speak with RIM. He put me on hold and came back with a guy from RIM. The RIM representative knew instantly what I was talking about. He took my 3 domain names came back a few minutes later and everything has been golden since. I even lost my phone connection and the guy from RIM called ME back.
Nope, I think I got the idea ;)

Quote:
3. This does not work. I have had crazy things happen where I delete something from gmail and sometime later it disappears from my BlackBerry but it's not consistent. I have tested it but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
So to clarify, if I were to read a message on my Gmail account it would not appear as read on the BB?

Quote:
4. My wife uses Outlook (I use the web interface) although I have it setup using POP and not IMAP.
Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with the interface.

Quote:
It's only about 95% perfect but thats close enough for me. I can deal with the little quirks here and there.
Are there ever any quirks with actual email delivery?

Thanks for the great information.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #27
BigPete74

Correct, if you read an email in gmail it will not be marked as read in your BlackBerry. If you delete in gmail, it will also not be deleted from your BlackBerry.

I havent had any issues or quirks with mail delivery using my google apps domains. Everything works as expected except for the minor syncing issues.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #28
grep

Quote:
Correct, if you read an email in gmail it will not be marked as read in your BlackBerry.
That's the only thing that really kind of bugs me. I can't stand after receiving and reading 50+ emails that on my Blackberry they are still there and I have to go through them each manually to mark them as read.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #29
BigPete74

Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
That's the only thing that really kind of bugs me. I can't stand after receiving and reading 50+ emails that on my Blackberry they are still there and I have to go through them each manually to mark them as read.
The BlackBerry lets you delete or "mark opened" any items you want. You can do it in bulk too so you can delete or mark all messages before a certain point. It's really not that big of a deal.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #30
grep

Quote:
You can do it in bulk too so you can delete or mark all messages before a certain point.
How can you mark read in bulk?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #31
BigPete74

Do you own a BlackBerry? Being a bit smart ass, yes, but I also want you to be able to follow along.

When you are in the messages view the messages are arranged in chronological order with the newest appearing first. If you scroll all the way to the top, there is a bar that goes across that has the date in it. Use your trackball to select that bar with the date then use the application key (to the left of the trackball) to bring up the menu. In that menu you have many options which include "Mark Prior Opened" and "Delete Prior".

Also, if you scroll down your list of messages, you will see a bar with a date in it for everyday going back as far as your messages. So if you wanted to delete all of last weeks messages from your BlackBerry simply scroll down to Saturday July 12th, hit the application key, and select Delete Prior.

Last edited by BigPete74; 07-19-2008 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #32
grep

Quote:
Do you own a BlackBerry? Being a bit smart ass, yes, but I also want you to be able to follow along.
I do own a Blackberry Yes

Thank you for the wise information. As long as I can get Push email I think I'm good to go.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #33
luckem

Model: 8830

In an attempt to avoid the frustration of the phone support process at Verizon, or the fee of calling RIM directly, I attempted Verizon's email support. My inquiry was:
I need to have my Google Apps domain xxxxxx.net' added to the database of push-enabled domains with RIM. Thanks
Their response was:
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to assist you with your question regarding Google Apps for your BlackBerry 8830.

We sincerely apologize for the delayed response. Due to an extremely high volume of customer email inquiries, the response time has been longer than expected. Verizon Wireless is committed to providing the very latest in products and services. Verizon Wireless does not provide support for the BlackBerry Maps application or 3rd party software that would be required to make full use of the 8830's GPS capabilities. As a result, the 8830's GPS functionality has not been enabled so that we are able to provide a standardized level of functionality and support for our advanced devices.

We are unable to state if or when additional GPS functionality will be enabled on the Verizon Wireless 8830. We understand and apologize for any frustration regarding this but we are only able to provide information regarding products or services that we are currently offering. We are unable to disclose any unconfirmed information because it would be subject to change and could raise expectations that may not be met.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "Sign up for email updates" from the "Support" tab located at the top of our Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless homepage.

We hope you find this information helpful. Other troubleshooting tips and helpful product information can be found at (url removed). Should you feel your current concerns are not fully resolved, please reply back to this email or call us at 1-800-922-0204 and we will happily address them for you. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.
I do have the frustration with their GPS support that they mentioned, but it has nothing to do with my question. Quite amuzing.

It would be nice if RIM could add a web page to their site for submitting these google apps domains, and save everyone some hassle all around.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #34
BigPete74

Wirelessly posted

You should have known better than to email about something like this. Even when you call theuy have no idea. Keep at it with the person on the phone from Verizon, eventually they'll call RIM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #35
droogish

Model: 8100
Carrier: O2 UK
Thumbs up

I managed to get my blackberry setup Without paying the RIM fee. I got fed up with O2 UK support they were not very interested so I tried to do this from the web maintenance screen.

The idea is to get to the screen that lets you set your own settings, it worked for a .co.uk account but not for an eu one.

1) Setup GMail to allow for IMAP.

For this step use an email account that blackberry can not detect automatically.

2) Enter your email kname at yourdomain.co.uk
3) Enter an incorrect password (or correct one if this doesn't work)

It should go to processing, please wait. It will take a while but should come back asking you to change your password because it is incorrect or it can't detect the settings.

It will ask you to re-enter your email and password but there is an option for "I will provide the settings to add this email account."

From here you can set up your personal or work email

4) Select Personal then next
5) Select I will provide the settings ..... then select next
6) Enter the details

User name: name at yourgdomain.com
Password: ********
Email Server: imap.googlemail.com
Email address: name at yourgdomain.com

On Next it will work out the rest.

I have tried this direct on my phone too and it works as well. Hope this helps.
Closed Thread