Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att
Default Gmail Messages Sent From BB Not Shown On Desktop

Please Login to Remove!

I use Gmail for my email. While all of the messages I receive on my BB are shown on my desktop Gmail inbox, messages I send from my BB do not appear on my desktop Gmail sent box. Can anyone help me configure my system so that the messages I send from my BB are stored on my Gmail sent archives for future reference?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
BluePolaski
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinda35
I use Gmail for my email. While all of the messages I receive on my BB are shown on my desktop Gmail inbox, messages I send from my BB do not appear on my desktop Gmail sent box. Can anyone help me configure my system so that the messages I send from my BB are stored on my Gmail sent archives for future reference?
I dont believe that you can. I have the same setup and have never found anything on how to do this.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon

You could setup a 'Auto BCC' through BIS which would send a copy of your sent messages to your gmail inbox.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
BluePolaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraed74
You could setup a 'Auto BCC' through BIS which would send a copy of your sent messages to your gmail inbox.
You could do that. However, when you Auto BCC to send yourself a copy of the sent email to Gmail...gmail recieves it and then forwards that message back to your BB. So if you dont mind recieving the email you just sent on your BB you could do this. Not sure if this is clear but I just tried it.

So yes you could get that sent mail to show up in gmail, but in the process gmail will forward it to your BB. So the sent mail will show up on the BB twice (once as a sent item and the next as a new email).
Old 02-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Ugh, didnt think of that one...hmm, maybe Auto BCC to another email instead?

Last edited by lraed74; 02-24-2006 at 01:15 PM..
Old 02-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
BluePolaski

Quote:
Ugh, didnt think of that one...hmm, maybe Auto BCC to another email instead?
Yeah that would work. I guess if it is absolutely imparitive that you have a copy of each sent email somewhere other than on the device you could live with having the situation I described above (I cant stand having emails in my inbox for more than 5 min either so I am bias). But you are right if you Auto BCC to like a work email or something you could still have the sent emails on a desktop and not be spamming yourself with the gmail account.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

OR, have the BCC setup to goto his main gmail address. Setup a filter thru BIS and 'Do not forward messages to handheld' that are coming from his BB address. I just set that up myself and seemed to work.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
BluePolaski

Quote:
OR, have the BCC setup to goto his main gmail address. Setup a filter thru BIS and 'Do not forward messages to handheld' that are coming from his BB address. I just set that up myself and seemed to work.
Ahh, good idea. That should work then.

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
noremac
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T
Default Exact Procedure for Auto BCC on GMail

You can set a series of two filters in GMail to take care of the auto-BCC feedback problem. This is really tricky, so pay attention to all the details:

1. In BIS (Profile), set Auto BCC on and direct the messages to your GMail account. The reply-to address for messages sent from your BB should be your GMail account, e.g. [email address]

2. In BIS (Options), create and set an Auto signature. Make a note of the exact text that you use for this signature. Typically, it says "Sent via Blackberry" etc.

3. Create a Label in GMail named "BLACKBERRY SENT" or another of your choice.

4. In your GMail account, go to Settings/Forwarding and POP. Set "Disable forwarding". Yes, DISABLE THIS. You are going to use filters to replace this function.

5. In GMail, go to Settings/Filters. You are going to create two filters, and the order of these filters is critical.
  • a. First filter. Set the following:

Has the words: Sent via Blackberry (or substitute your custom words from step 2.)

Do this: Check Skip Inbox, Check Apply Label "BLACKBERRY SENT" or your custom words from step 3

• b. Second filter. THIS ONE MUST BE LISTED BELOW THE FIRST FILTER. Set the following:

Has the words: "in:inbox" Type the text inside the quotes exactly. GMail will give you a warning that this filter is invalid. IGNORE the warning. It will work.

Do this: Check Forward to [email address] (This is your direct Blackberry email address. Do not use your GMail address here! This filter performs the main forwarding function to your BB)
6. Tip: if the order of the two filters is backwards, GMail will re-sort them if you edit a filter, making the last edited filter appear first. So simply make a trivial edit (insert a character somewhere), save it, then go back and restore the edit, and save again.

7. Messages you send from your BB will appear in the GMail ARCHIVE, not the Inbox, but will be labled "BLACKBERRY SENT". It is possible to remove the archive designation after the fact and put the msgs back in the Inbox, but I prefer just to leave them in Archives.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Wow, noremac, great work. I'll try it.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #11
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
This only seems to work when I have the "using:web client" header on my emails, and not when I have the "using:desktop" header. It also doesn't work when I'm replying to an email, which doesn't give me the option of choosing between these headers, as it does when I'm sending out a new email.

Questions:
1.) My header is defaulted to "using:desktop". Is there a way to change the default to where I will automatically have the "using:web client" feature enabled so that I don't have to remember to change the option?
2) Is there a way to get your fix to work with reply emails, as it does with new messages with "using web client" enabled?
3) Will the more complicated workaround suggested by noremac resolve the issues I raise?
Old 02-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremac
You can set a series of two filters in GMail to take care of the auto-BCC feedback problem. This is really tricky, so pay attention to all the details:

1. In BIS (Profile), set Auto BCC on and direct the messages to your GMail account. The reply-to address for messages sent from your BB should be your GMail account, e.g. [email address]

2. In BIS (Options), create and set an Auto signature. Make a note of the exact text that you use for this signature. Typically, it says "Sent via Blackberry" etc.

3. Create a Label in GMail named "BLACKBERRY SENT" or another of your choice.

4. In your GMail account, go to Settings/Forwarding and POP. Set "Disable forwarding". Yes, DISABLE THIS. You are going to use filters to replace this function.

5. In GMail, go to Settings/Filters. You are going to create two filters, and the order of these filters is critical.
  • a. First filter. Set the following:

Has the words: Sent via Blackberry (or substitute your custom words from step 2.)

Do this: Check Skip Inbox, Check Apply Label "BLACKBERRY SENT" or your custom words from step 3

• b. Second filter. THIS ONE MUST BE LISTED BELOW THE FIRST FILTER. Set the following:

Has the words: "in:inbox" Type the text inside the quotes exactly. GMail will give you a warning that this filter is invalid. IGNORE the warning. It will work.

Do this: Check Forward to [email address] (This is your direct Blackberry email address. Do not use your GMail address here! This filter performs the main forwarding function to your BB)
6. Tip: if the order of the two filters is backwards, GMail will re-sort them if you edit a filter, making the last edited filter appear first. So simply make a trivial edit (insert a character somewhere), save it, then go back and restore the edit, and save again.

7. Messages you send from your BB will appear in the GMail ARCHIVE, not the Inbox, but will be labled "BLACKBERRY SENT". It is possible to remove the archive designation after the fact and put the msgs back in the Inbox, but I prefer just to leave them in Archives.
Still only works when I use web client on new messeges. Doesn't work when I reply to emails. Damn, I hope I don't have to go back to Outlook (ugh), to be able to save my reply emails on my desktop for future reference.

edit; I notice when I open my received mail that it comes in through "using:desktop". However, when I click on "reply", the headers dissapear, and I can't change this option. Perhaps there's an option where I can force all my received mail to come in through "using:web client", instead of the "using:desktop", which is the default now. Any ideas on how I can do this, so that my "reply to" email reaches my gmail mailroom.

Last edited by guinda35; 02-25-2006 at 10:28 PM..
Old 02-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #13
noremac

I guess I'm too much of a newbie to understand the terminology "using:web client" and "using:desktop". Where does this function/distinction get inserted? What does it basically mean? Where do you view it?
Old 02-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #14
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I guess I'm too much of a newbie to understand the terminology "using:web client" and "using:desktop". Where does this function/distinction get inserted? What does it basically mean? Where do you view it?
I'm not sure what the function does, but I'm guessing that "web client" refers to the BB email service. I don't have any clue as to what "desktop" means, although it could mean any other web service besides BB's.

The function is at the very top of the page when you click on "compose email", and it is set out as "using:web client" or "using:desktop". You can change it by turning your track wheel to and highlighting that field, clicking the track wheel, and when the various options appear on your screen, clicking it to "change option". It then gives you an option of "using:web client" or "using:desktop". When you open a received email, the function again appears at the top of the page. Mine says "using:desktop (secure)". When you click reply, the field disappears, and I lose the option to change the field (so I guess the reply email goes through "desktop").

Your fix works perfectly for me noremac -- my sent emails do not appear on my BB, but they do end up on my Gmail folder on my PC. However, this only happens when I send new emails through "using:web client", and not when I have the "using:desktop" option, and it never happens when I reply to an email, since all my emails come in with the "using:desktop (secure)" option, and I don't have an otion (or can't figure out a way) to change my replies to "web client".

Thanks for your help. BTW, for a newbie you sure know your way around email systems.

Last edited by guinda35; 02-26-2006 at 06:54 PM..
Old 02-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #15
noremac

guinda-

Are you only using BIS with POP and/or forwarding? Do you use Redirector?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
guinda-

Are you only using BIS with POP and/or forwarding? Do you use Redirector?
Unfortunately, I am not as savvy on email systems as you are noremac. I do know that I am running my emails through a BES on Mailstreet, though. I am guessing that this is consistent with using BIS with POP. I did your fix on BIS, as you set out above, but I don't believe this is the same as Redirector.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #17
noremac

Ohh!! You have a BES account! That's probably what is generating the "using:desktop" option.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:53 AM   #18
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Ohh!! You have a BES account! That's probably what is generating the "using:desktop" option.
So I should look to Mailstreet for a fix? I'll try that. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:08 AM   #19
muskiemania
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: tmo

thanks noremac. works great.

FYI for those on tmobile - i had to remove my gmail addy from BIS for this to work correctly.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #20
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Anyone get this working while using a BES? I am trying, but with no luck thus far. Ideas?