BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Which would you rather next BB device loaded with Microsoft or BB software?
Blackberry 155 80.73%
Microsoft 37 19.27%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #21
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW
Talking

Please Login to Remove!

RIM will not let any MS OS on their units.
There is only 2 1/2 mobile OS's out there RIM , MS , and what's left of palm .
Old 04-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #22
HuwSy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

MS have already started work on ther own knock off of blackberry instant email services, and its to be included in one of ther next versions of exchange server. Which if server admins did the same as most home users, they would leave the ms equivelent on and decide to use that as its already there. So glad server administrators hav a different attitude to home users. And we know being 1st and established is not always the same as being the winner, just look at palm, better system but wernt fast enough to keep up with a changing market.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #23
omkhar

PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxvzw21
Rim will probably never have expandable memory because they sell alot of BB to goverment workers and thats a security problem if people can just put documents on a card and take them and send them to whoever.
Not sure I completely agree with that - the government uses CD-Rs don't they? This notion that memory cards and USB sticks are inherently more insecure than other soft media really gets to me </rant>

sorry
Old 04-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #24
HuwSy

Iv worked in goverment buildings and the systems I used had the cd drives disabled under windows, only ever used as a boot device for image restores, and memory sticks etc would not work on ther systems, the only way anyone could get any data out of the building would be in there head or as a print off.

A BB gives u a method of removing data but as it requires a password to get to the data otherwise it wipes it its seen as secure. However having a memory card storing some of the data would alow someone to duplicate the card then begin a brute force crack/hack (never sure which is which) on the password knowing that if they get it wrong it wont wipe the data from all existence, only that card which they have already backed up.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #25
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

I vote for the BB OS. I have used used various Windows Mobile Editions (including SE and 5). The BB OS and hardware seems much more stable. I had 1 Compaq PPC (before they merged with hp. I forgot the OS used way back then), 3 hp iPAQ 6315s (forgot the OS on these too), and 2 Dell Axims (Windows Mobile 2003 SE and Windows Mobile 5). I'd like to tinker around with a Treo with BB Connect (are these out in the US yet?) to see what it offers.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #26
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

the only way to improve on blackberry software is if we had apple developers working on the project...

i have used BB for the past 6 years and would drop it in a heartbeat if it convereted to windows...

microsoft is the most useless company out there, thier innovation curve is a the c angle decline of any bell shaped arc out there, and i seriously doubt they will back us up the way BB does.

Further, their focus is horrible, I cannot imagine using a windows os on my BB, the treo 700 was the hottest thing when it hit the shelves...not over 20% have b een recalled due to software conflict with the hardware....just face it, one day google will rule the world and eventually but out microsoft....

i vote to keep out BB software
Old 04-12-2006, 06:10 AM   #27
HuwSy

When you look at th fact that

Symbian still holds about 70% of the mobile market
Linux mobile has about 15% mainly in Asia
Palm OS has about 12% posibly more with the treos selling well
Wm5 has about 10%
BB well doesnt show on the stats iv seen

And that Wm5.5 or whatever the next version is will have an MS equivelent of BB connect built in, because ther never happy with someone elses solution to the problem, always wanting to build ther own. Then BB Wm5 will never happen IMO. Linux and Wm5 here, a larger kernel scaled down is good for easier addaption of applications, but requires far to much processing power to do the simplest of tasks. Esspecially as they both have true multitasking, slowing them even further until applications begin crashing. Whereas PalmOS5 has only a couple of background threads, so you can keep your music and wifi receiver (which would invoke BB connect or a phone app when needed) running behind everything and then the foreground apps save state and close when moved between just as fast as if they we'r kept running but less resource hungry. An we'v already BB connect on Treos.

Yes Im a Palm owner as well as a BB owner...
Old 04-16-2006, 03:57 AM   #28
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil77
how true! I understand its not secure for the business and government.

RIM will have to increase internal memory 128MB - 4GB to be able to store as much as we can.

I am consumer myself I love BB and I could live without the expandable memory.

I was thinking RIM should offers two models one with and the other without camera like PDA did. So individuals that don't work in business/governemnt enviroment can purchase with camera to enjoy photographing.

I was thinking abt music/multimedia features - Is it really threaten governemnt?
But see, you assume the gov't works in shades of grey. They don't

Guards of secure areas (limited areas or top secret) now know that NO BB has that capability, so it's easy to give it a once over and wave you through. Once BB gets any kind of memory expansion or camera, it's going to be another ballgame entirely

my experiences come from working at both Naval Station Norfolk (Naval Operations Base) and Strategic Weapons Facility, Pacific in Bangor

Last edited by digital/blasphemy; 04-16-2006 at 04:00 AM..
Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #29
will4cani

Model: 8700c
Carrier: T-Mobile
Lightbulb More to it

I hate to sound simple in my thought process, but aren't all companies going to look for ways to expand their businesses. If so, RIM can't be 100% focused on what government/business want.

I understand the need for security in those sectors, but if RIM decides on expandable memory cards, it becomes a matter of "leave your miniSD at the door." (Or whatever memory card they decide on)

People and businesses are demanding more from their devices. Better power, better speed, better internet access - all things that RIM has put into play with the BB 8700 series. The next phases are 3G services and UMA capability.

We already know that RIM is on the UMA bandwagon thanks to umatechnology.org
And with the success that other mobile phone companies are seeing with their 3G devices, I can't imagine RIM not working on solutions to bring that to market as well.
Hutchinson, as a service provider, is an interesting example with their 3G mobile services in Europe and Asia. Just look at three.com - video conferencing over your mobile phone!?!?!?!? Those kinds of capabilities are coming and are in more demand now than ever before. For business, government or personal use - they're coming.

On the real topic of this thread, I frankly would rather see RIM keep with the BB OS and add in media players, expandable memory, Flash capabilities in their browser. I think if they did that you'd see a serious growth in BB sales on a worldwide basis to your average person, not just the "elites".

(Sorry about the links not working - I'm not at 10 posts yet.)
Old 04-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #30
ChristianinCA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
If I want MP3's I have my iPod and if I want movies on the move and gaming, that's what I have my PSP for - my BlackBerry on the other hand, that's my corporate workhorse!
I second that.
Google Talk: Christianinca
Email: text [email address]
Closed Thread