Old 04-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #21
jtdarden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel
Default No Contest, TeleNav Wins everytime

Please Login to Remove!

I have been using TeleNav since it first came out on Nextel in 2002. It buy far BLOWS AWAY any other navigation system for the money.

TomTom is an inexpensive alternative (if you call a 2 1/2 year ROI inexpensive), and one of the posters mentioned that TeleNav doesn't update their map very often. I am going to have to call BS here. NavTeq is the major mapping provider for most commercial GPS navigation systems, and they produce the updates quarterly. That is one of the major differences between a TomTom and a TeleNav. . .when the mapping updates you do not have to cradle your device and/or flash the drive, it is automatic because the mapping is acquired by the server every time you initiate instructions.

As for re-routing, I have found TeleNav to be as good if not better than most in car systems. The poster (H3LLFIRE) who mentioned that TeleNav has to re-download instructions doesn't understand how TeleNav works. It downloads the entire set of instructions to your handset when you initiate the destination. You could actually drive through a cellular dead-zone (If you have Cingular you should be used to that) and TeleNav will still guide you because the instructions have already been pre-loaded when you were in coverage. If you go off route, it actually has some of the rerouting already downloaded with the original instructions, and unless you really screw up it will not require to connect back to the server.

Now, there are some in-car systems that blow TeleNav away, but I am not willing to pay $1500 for a navigation system in my car that doesn't travel with me when I fly to NY or LA or wherever. People do not typically forget to pack their cellphone/blackberry. . .I would be willing to be that anyone who has a TomTom forgets the damn thing on most trips. I even prefer to use TeleNav when I am in a Hertz car that has NeverLost.

As for locating a gas station while driving: TeleNav is real-time, that means you can do a search for gas by the lowest price. I find that much more valuable that merely pulling into the first gas station because there is an icon on the map and paying $3.75 a gallon (by the way, not all gas stations show up on some vendors' systems -- think: advertising revenue). TeleNav's application pings a web server that checks for gas prices, and you benefit from that knowledge. It will give you the option to go to the closest, or the one that has the lowest price.

By the way, I have over 2500 contacts in my Blackberry. With TeleNav, you can simply select an address book entry and choose Drive To from the drop down menu (without even having to launch the application). I do not know anyone who has that many contacts loaded into their TomTom.

Does TomTom re-route you for traffic, re-route you for trucking routes (important if you're in an over sized vehicle like a U-Haul), have an IVR option?

You would have a very tough time convincing me that there is anything of value in a device like TomTom or an in-vehicle system that is not network aware. This is 2007 after all. If it's not connected, it's a brick as far as I'm concerned.

TeleNav has been doing it a long time, and they take feedback from users to improve the application. It is tailored to a more wireless lifestyle. Who needs to carry around another device?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #22
Brad00111

Model: 8300C
Carrier: ATT

What a great post thanks for taking the time to write it, sounds like the GPS portion works great, I am hoping the 8300 has GPS otherwise I am all over the 8800 even though for work a camera would be a big help!

RIM 950 > Nextel 6510 > Nextel 7520 > Cingular 7100 > Cingular 8700 > Cingular 8800 > Cingular 8300
Old 04-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #23
jtdarden

Smile the voice

one last thing to add, it is all about the voice.

Vivian (TeleNav's voice) is much nicer to listen to than the others
Old 04-02-2007, 12:46 AM   #24
pengrus

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Can anyone elaborate on the Telenav's traffic addon? Is it working as advertised? Any experience? I am on Cingular, so it is not available yet.

jtdarden, good post.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #25
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Im a fan of the mapquest navigator, it seems to keep up well with downloads and for me does everything i could want from an in car unit and its free so I love that.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #26
pengrus

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I don't understand why many people says mapquest is free while it says 30 days trial on their download site...
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #27
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengrus
I don't understand why many people says mapquest is free while it says 30 days trial on their download site...

Your right, sorry I skipped the page that said it was a 30 day trial.
What happens with it after 30 days? Will it lock me out?

I dl'ed the Sprint version onto my Cingular 8800.

Well I do like it but if I have to pay then might as well go to Telnav I guess or go to the less capable BBmaps.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #28
jtdarden

Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengrus
Can anyone elaborate on the Telenav's traffic addon? Is it working as advertised? Any experience? I am on Cingular, so it is not available yet.

jtdarden, good post.
I ha?e used traffic on a Sprint KRZR. It works great if you're not in LA. That is another story because everytime I used it in LA, all of the alternate routes were jammed up to, so no re-routing available.

Can't wait until release 5.1 so I can use on my BB.

BTW: heard a rumor that they are working on calendar intwgration (meaning you can click on the location line in your calendar and MapIt, DriveIt, or FindBiz; that is if you use the Location field to put in the address of your appointment).
Old 04-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #29
scizme

Model: 8703E
Carrier: Sprint
Default Telenav Crashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdarden
I have been using TeleNav since it first came out on Nextel in 2002. It buy far BLOWS AWAY any other navigation system for the money.

TomTom is an inexpensive alternative (if you call a 2 1/2 year ROI inexpensive), and one of the posters mentioned that TeleNav doesn't update their map very often. I am going to have to call BS here. NavTeq is the major mapping provider for most commercial GPS navigation systems, and they produce the updates quarterly. That is one of the major differences between a TomTom and a TeleNav. . .when the mapping updates you do not have to cradle your device and/or flash the drive, it is automatic because the mapping is acquired by the server every time you initiate instructions.

As for re-routing, I have found TeleNav to be as good if not better than most in car systems. The poster (H3LLFIRE) who mentioned that TeleNav has to re-download instructions doesn't understand how TeleNav works. It downloads the entire set of instructions to your handset when you initiate the destination. You could actually drive through a cellular dead-zone (If you have Cingular you should be used to that) and TeleNav will still guide you because the instructions have already been pre-loaded when you were in coverage. If you go off route, it actually has some of the rerouting already downloaded with the original instructions, and unless you really screw up it will not require to connect back to the server.

Now, there are some in-car systems that blow TeleNav away, but I am not willing to pay $1500 for a navigation system in my car that doesn't travel with me when I fly to NY or LA or wherever. People do not typically forget to pack their cellphone/blackberry. . .I would be willing to be that anyone who has a TomTom forgets the damn thing on most trips. I even prefer to use TeleNav when I am in a Hertz car that has NeverLost.

As for locating a gas station while driving: TeleNav is real-time, that means you can do a search for gas by the lowest price. I find that much more valuable that merely pulling into the first gas station because there is an icon on the map and paying $3.75 a gallon (by the way, not all gas stations show up on some vendors' systems -- think: advertising revenue). TeleNav's application pings a web server that checks for gas prices, and you benefit from that knowledge. It will give you the option to go to the closest, or the one that has the lowest price.

By the way, I have over 2500 contacts in my Blackberry. With TeleNav, you can simply select an address book entry and choose Drive To from the drop down menu (without even having to launch the application). I do not know anyone who has that many contacts loaded into their TomTom.

Does TomTom re-route you for traffic, re-route you for trucking routes (important if you're in an over sized vehicle like a U-Haul), have an IVR option?

You would have a very tough time convincing me that there is anything of value in a device like TomTom or an in-vehicle system that is not network aware. This is 2007 after all. If it's not connected, it's a brick as far as I'm concerned.

TeleNav has been doing it a long time, and they take feedback from users to improve the application. It is tailored to a more wireless lifestyle. Who needs to carry around another device?
I think that telenav is a great product! I love it! My only problem is that it causes my 8703e to re-boot about 20% of the time. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #30
jtdarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by scizme
I think that telenav is a great product! I love it! My only problem is that it causes my 8703e to re-boot about 20% of the time. Has anyone else experienced this?

Only when my internet cache is full and I am low on memory resources. I have only had this happen a few times. Just make sure you're memory is clear before using (soft reset clears your memory).
Old 04-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #31
scizme

Model: 8703E
Carrier: Sprint
Default Soft Reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdarden
Only when my internet cache is full and I am low on memory resources. I have only had this happen a few times. Just make sure you're memory is clear before using (soft reset clears your memory).

Ok thanks, I will try this.
Closed Thread