BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
nyfan93

Model: 7100i
PIN: N/A
Carrier: nextel
Default Stowaway bluetooth keyboard possible usage?

Please Login to Remove!

I use the Stowaway bluetooth keyboard for my n800 and my 7100i picked it up and when I configured it I was able to send the blackberry's passcode thru the keyboard to it and I got a message saying it was paired. But when I try typing on it nothing happens. Is there anyway to get it working with it?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
snowskier79
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.
Carrier: AT&T

Welcome to the forums. I would start off with their help/support area of their website rather than posting here:

Welcome to iGo!

Cheers and best of luck!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
secrecyguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Yes, he can do that but I am sure he wants to ask it here fist before he start searching for an answer there. Sometimes doing a search takes time.

But I am glad he ask this question here because I am wondering if there's other bluetooth keyboard around that I can use on the Blackberry. I saw the Universal Keyboard that was posted here but I am wondering if there's anything cheaper than that.

Last edited by secrecyguy; 04-18-2007 at 10:19 PM..
Old 04-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
snowskier79

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowskier79 View Post
Welcome to the forums. I would start off with their help/support area of their website rather than posting here:

Welcome to iGo!

Cheers and best of luck!
After doing more research for you it appears that they have developed a BT Keyboard specifically for the Blackberry and another version for Pocket PC etc. I do not know if that would make a difference (it shouldn't since they both use BT). Here are the links:

Pocket PC BT Keyboard
Blackberry BT Keyboard

Also check the batteries on your device; it may have enough juice to "pair" w/your device but not enough to actually transmit keystrokes. I know obvious answer but still worth a check.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfan93 View Post
I use the Stowaway bluetooth keyboard for my n800 and my 7100i picked it up and when I configured it I was able to send the blackberry's passcode thru the keyboard to it and I got a message saying it was paired. But when I try typing on it nothing happens. Is there anyway to get it working with it?
Since you are able to pair it successfully, it does not mean that you can automatically use it. Since the keyboard you have is not for the BlackBerry(s), you might want to check the driver and download it on your computer and upload it using your Desktop Manager. See if that works. You can have the keyboard paired all the time, but it needs the Stowaway Shasta application to get it running. That's what the driver is for.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy View Post
Yes, he can do that but I am sure he wants to ask it here fist before he start searching for an answer there. Sometimes doing a search takes time.

But I am glad he ask this question here because I am wondering if there's other bluetooth keyboard around that I can use on the Blackberry. I saw the Universal Keyboard that was posted here but I am wondering if there's anything cheaper than that.
If you are looking for a cheaper one, try here

One thing you have to keep in mind before purchasing any bluetooth keyboard, check your IT policies if a bluetooth keyboard is supported. BES users would have a hard time using this keyboard if your IT does not support this driver.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
snowskier79

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesecatt View Post
Since you are able to pair it successfully, it does not mean that you can automatically use it. Since the keyboard you have is not for the BlackBerry(s), you might want to check the driver and download it on your computer and upload it using your Desktop Manager. See if that works. You can have the keyboard paired all the time, but it needs the Stowaway Shasta application to get it running. That's what the driver is for.
I was wondering when you would chime in CCatt!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #8
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowskier79 View Post
I was wondering when you would chime in CCatt!
And to think I was getting bored

Old 04-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Both of these keyboards are good keyboards and work well. However, in order to do what you want to do (use it for other smartphones/PDA's AND Blackberry you need one that's dual standard. Blackberry uses SPP and most other Smartphone's/PDA's use HID. Freedom Input's Universal Keyboard claims to be the only one with the dual standard. The Stowaway Shasta only comes one way or the other. You have to choose between the BB version (SPP) or the Smartphone/PDA version (HID.) It won't do both like the Freedom Input Universal will. Personally, I like the layout of the Stowaway Shasta a little better but the Freedom has the dual standard. Either is a good keyboard. You just need to know what you need.

Also, as Catt mentioned if you are on a BES then you will need your admin's help in setting up the keyboard driver. If your BB is used and has leftover IT policy on it it's possible that the keyboard will not work at all. If your BB has no policy (and never has had policy) then the keyboards will work just fine.

Last edited by John Clark; 04-18-2007 at 11:34 PM..
Old 04-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 205D8AAC
Carrier: 02

The Freedom Universal IS the only full size dual profile (HID/SPP) keyboard on the market.
If you are on a BES and do not have the 4.2OS, you will need to make changes to the BES default settings. The changes you need to make (if using our keyboard and drivers) are listed on our website BES Security changes - Freedom Input Ltd and Handheld Security Changes - Freedom Input Ltd .

I'm here to help if anyone has any specific query with our keyboard.

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Both of these keyboards are good keyboards and work well. However, in order to do what you want to do (use it for other smartphones/PDA's AND Blackberry you need one that's dual standard. Blackberry uses SPP and most other Smartphone's/PDA's use HID. Freedom Input's Universal Keyboard claims to be the only one with the dual standard. The Stowaway Shasta only comes one way or the other. You have to choose between the BB version (SPP) or the Smartphone/PDA version (HID.) It won't do both like the Freedom Input Universal will. Personally, I like the layout of the Stowaway Shasta a little better but the Freedom has the dual standard. Either is a good keyboard. You just need to know what you need.

Also, as Catt mentioned if you are on a BES then you will need your admin's help in setting up the keyboard driver. If your BB is used and has leftover IT policy on it it's possible that the keyboard will not work at all. If your BB has no policy (and never has had policy) then the keyboards will work just fine.

I use a BK600 SmartKeyboard with my blackberry. It has SPP. Actually most other PDA and Smartphones have SPP as well as HID. This is the reason why you can connect other devices like GPS receivers, Barcode Scanners, Bluetooth printers to them. All you need for keyboard multi-device usage is a Bluetooth SPP keyboard with the correct drivers for the various PDA, Smartphones, and PC.

My BK600 SmartKeyboard supports:

>> Palm OS (PDA & Smartphone)
>> Microsoft Pocket PC / Windows CE Phone Edition
>> BlackBerry OS (Smartphone)
>> Microsoft Smartphone
>> Symbian OS (Smartphone)
>> Sendo X Series 60
>> Siemens SX1 Series 60
>> Sony Ericsson P800 UIQ 2.X, P900 UIQ 2.X, P910 UIQ 2.X
>> Motorola A925 UIQ 2.X, A1000 UIQ 2.X

Just thought I share this )
Old 05-01-2007, 05:16 AM   #12
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 205D8AAC
Carrier: 02

I use a BK600 SmartKeyboard with my blackberry. It has SPP. Actually most other PDA and Smartphones have SPP as well as HID. This is the reason why you can connect other devices like GPS receivers, Barcode Scanners, Bluetooth printers to them. All you need for keyboard multi-device usage is a Bluetooth SPP keyboard with the correct drivers for the various PDA, Smartphones, and PC.

The BK600 Smartkeyboard was manufactured by Chainpus. I know this Company very well but sadly they went out of business last month. They used to build and maintain their own drivers (but no after sales support) but I don't know if anyone will continue this for them now. Their website still exists today and the existing drivers are still downloadable today but there are no personnel left in the Company.
As you can imagine, there is a lot of ongoing investment in drivers and support and it is an area we consider very important. As mentioned, SPP reqiures a seperate driver for every device so be very careful with purchasing the Smart keyboard.

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:53 AM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Last week I purchased the Stowaway BT Keyboard for BlackBerry, and I love it, working great. I got from a fellow BlackBerryforums.com member, chinesecatt http://www.blackberryforums.com/member.php?u=10816

The driver on the included CD was out of date. Go to the Igo website and download the 1.2.1 driver.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:23 AM   #14
wa7son
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Ma Bell

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Pearl: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I recently purchased a Freedom Universal keyboard to use with my BB Pearl (8100).

I downloaded the necessary drivers, and updated the security setting with regard to the BB itseld. My carrier is T-Mobile, and they claim that they aren't utilizing the BES. I am able to use all the features OFFLINE, (which incluses the substitute for the trackball)., BUT, when I am online, I cannot use the Fn-arrow alternative, but what I have to do is manually move to the text input areas on the website, in this case to be able to type my message to you. Basically, in a nutshell, my alternative trackball is disabled, and the only way I can move around the web page is to manually move the trackball.

Any ideas on what the problem may be? I am running the RIM 4.2 OS, and like I Said, I did the enabling of the security change as explained on the Freedom website, in the PDF documentation for this keyboard, to no avail.

Your help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Robert Watson
Wa7son@yahoo.com

Thanks, and awaiting your reply.

Robert Watson
Wa7son@yahoo.com