wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
I don't think anyone argues about "the network", but do you honestly believe it's OK for them to shaft you on devices just because they have the best network? Can you imagine how much better they would be if they would compete with uncrippled/unlocked phones? When you talk to people about wireless carriers they always say the same thing about Verizon. "Network rocks, phones suck!" What more do you want... everyone knows this, but I think in the end they want to be able to have reliable calls so much that they bite their lip on the phone issues.
i wasnt getting at that, i was just stating the fact that from a buisness perspective, thier service, which is what they are into selling cellular service, is high. yes it would rock 10000 times better if they didnt break a phone. but thats a total new discussion.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:52 AM   #42
mpiggott

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular = poop

intersting thing I found.. The BB 8830 simulator from blackberry.com/developers has enabled GPS.. Such a tease
Old 09-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #43
jtdarden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

I agree with the fact that it is a 'walled garden' approach.

Nextel has been selling GPS enabled Blackberries to the FBI, CIA and many other US Government Orgs (whose security requirements are much more stringent than those that this no-Care rep is espousing) for 3-4 years at least. It is not a security/privacy issue, and if that is seriously what they are claiming then they do not understand their own technology.

Isn't it funny how 'Ma Bell' is actually protecting it's customers (allegedly) from 'Big Brother'. Kinda ridiculous and ironic at the same time.

Just move on and either switch to Sprint or at&t if it is that big of an issue.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #44
oconnke1

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdarden View Post
Just move on and either switch to Sprint or at&t if it is that big of an issue.
I'm glad you mentioned Sprint. I do have a Sprint 8830 and I've been doing a little testing of my GPS. You decide which is better; I'm not sure.

I set my BB 8830 device into "airplane mode." This turns off all connections to the "outside world." Since the GPS only receives signals and doesn't transmit, it doesn't affect any airplane equipment, and it shouldn't need to be turned off. Right? NOT! When I turned off the Sprint Mobile Network in the Mobile Connections application, the 8830 GPS STOPS WORKING!!! Can you believe it? I tested it several times, enabling and disabling the network, seeing when the GPS works and when it doesn't. It is definitely dependent on the Sprint Mobile Network being enabled.

My next test is to go to a location that I know doesn't get Sprint reception, leave the Sprint network enabled, and see if the GPS works. I live in Los Angeles, so this may be a little difficult, in spite of what J.D. Powers and Associates has to say. If somebody in a more rural area, with known locations where there is no Sprint reception, can also perform this test, we can verify my findings.

So, what difference does it make if the 8830 has on-board GPS enabled and can only determine your location with the network enabled vs. an 8830 with GPS disabled and can (soon) only determine your location with the network enabled? It looks like Sprint has pacified us by saying the GPS is enabled, whereas Verizon has angered everybody by disabling it and refusing to enable it.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #45
ravencr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: t-mobile

After reading all these threads about GPS and these things, it's making it hard to not just buy a separate GPS unit and skip this feature on the blackberries all together. Have a lot of others come to this same conclusion?

Chris
Old 11-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #46
Hugh R

Carrier: verizon

Interesting read on the 8830 and GPS. I just found this site, and just bought my 8830 from VZW. I may return it within the 30 days. Also my VZW service contract expires in december.

Overall question. I travel to lots of different countries. What BB and which service will work on phone, email and GPS in the most countries. Preferably free GPS. I don't need a service to find me restaurants or driving directions, just basically where I am. I see some posted that their GPS didn't work at all when outside of Sprint service.

Will Google maps mobile work on an AT&T BB without having to mess with the machine code or such?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #47
oconnke1

Google Maps Mobile (v1.3.0) works with Sprint BB 8830 (v4.2.2), without messing with the machine code.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #48
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnke1 View Post
Google Maps Mobile (v1.3.0) works with Sprint BB 8830 (v4.2.2), without messing with the machine code.
No really?!?! Are you serious?!?!?! That's AMAZING!!! I don't think anyone knew that. :rolleyes:
Old 11-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #49
oconnke1

Talking

JRSCCivic98, your response is really humorous to me. With the majority of this thread's responses coming from dissatisfied AT&T and VZW customers, I knew one person would be immature enough to whine in some manner about my post. You win the prize. To show even more immaturity, either you or somebody else will defend your response.

To continue to pass along knowledge to others, which is the primary purpose of BB Forums, I have found Sprint's support of the BB 8830 to be exceptional. I was also extremely impressed by Sprint Navigation this week. I was on a remote road in the forest of a US Army base. The soldier with me was about to break out his compass and map, when I took out my BB. Sprint Navigation "talked" us all the way back to the main gate, without a single misrouting. I also added certain locations to My Favorites, such as the location of his barracks, the PX, and the chow hall. We effortlessly moved about the base, using shortcut routes about which he was previously unaware.

The original question of the thread is, "Why isn't the native GPS mapping tool available on the BlackBerry 8830?" To summarize this entire thread, the answer is, "The native GPS mapping tool IS available on the BlackBerry 8830. It's just not available with some wireless service providers. It's not a product flaw; it's a provider flaw."

If real, on-board GPS is valuable to you and your service has disabled it, jump ship and go to a different service provider. If other features are more valuable to you, then stay with whom is your current provider. When you make your decision, make it based on good facts, then don't whine about it. And especially don't show any immaturity by ridiculing other forum users.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #50
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Since VZ Nav is released, I am closing this thread. If someone has a really good write up on using other GPS programs on the 8830 with and with pucks, please start a new thread and we will sticky it.
Closed Thread