Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #41
moosehead
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
PIN: tucked behind a bunker
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Downloaded and installed fine on my 8700c. Gonna play around with it. Really like the "Map from Address Book" feature so far.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #42
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuff
Is the Instant Messenger out there somewhere???
The webpage template is based on the Yahoo IM download, so I'm going to assume that it will be fixed once RIM officially releases the Maps application. Keep in mind that this has yet to be made 'public' by RIM aside from what you're seeing on here. I'm guessing they'll make an announcement this week, possibly next.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #43
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewars
Everything works good on my VZW 8703e. That is everything but the GPS. I hope that gets fixed soon.
I tried turning on Location On in location based services. But BB maps GPS still does not work. I wonder if VZW will want to charge for this.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #44
lhuff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Thanks jibi.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:10 PM   #45
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the update!

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 11-20-2006, 07:44 PM   #46
teemo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e

I thought I saw something once about Verizon messing with the GPS services in the blackberry. True? Or maybe I'm just not doing it right, but with "location based services" on (not 911) and "start gps" in maps . . it thinks I'm in midtown on the west side when I'm queens. Is the map supposed to track you to where you are?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #47
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

drove home this afternoon with it and was pretty much on the money the whole way home measured speed and direction id say with in 1000 feet or so accuracy.

GPS still running even after phone number dialed and completed calls very nice. Been running for over 8 eighrs now ran the battery down pretty quick though

Not bad for free..
Old 11-21-2006, 06:29 AM   #48
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Well I was kind of on the fence as to whether or not I liked this better than Google Maps. I'm still leaning towards Google Maps, but that's mostly because it's significantly faster than BlackBerry Maps.

The Map Address is great - if it works. It couldn't map my home address because (I assume) my apartment number is in my address. It mapped it fine without it. Google Maps doesn't have this problem.

Email map is great - but only works on a BlackBerry! When I clicked on the link on my computer, all I got was the maps.blackberry.com home page!

GPS is great - if you have a BlackBerry that has it built in, or maybe if you're in a car and have a BlueTooth set up, but carry yet another device? For many half the benefit of using a BlackBerry is to carry only one device!

It is very slow compared to Google Maps, and personally I like the look of Google Maps better.

No Satellite view - believe it or not I have actually been able to find the building I was looking for because I was able to see a picture of it! Rare, definitely. Neat - absolutely!

I'm also not crazy about the dual functionality of the scroll wheel which jumps between locations before scrolling. If you have 3 or 4 points mapped already, it's a real pain. Google Maps scrolling and interface are definitely nicer.

If you need Traffic reports, Google has it, but not BlackBerry.

Google maps has "Find Business". BlackBerry is supposed to have this functionality, but it's not apparent (and I haven't tested it).

But a little tighter code to speed things up a bit, being able to view maps from a computer when emailed, and cleaning up the location finder, and this will be great!

Old 11-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #49
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

If you use the shortcuts for scrolling you won't have the jumping problem. Google and this are two different paths that will eventually merge. Its not really a battle of BBMaps vs Google, it's a battle of the sources - TeleAtlas vs Navteq, and then its just a GUI issue. See my full review where I explain these and have a link to an interesting article Jibi pointed me too.

Stinsonddog's Blackberry GPS Review
Old 11-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #50
mserke

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

I put this on my 7100i, the site loaded it fine but then when it restarted it got a "JVM Error 102" has only one option, to reset, and then it resets the unit and just comes back to here..... ??????? What do i do now????
Old 11-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #51
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mserke
I put this on my 7100i, the site loaded it fine but then when it restarted it got a "JVM Error 102" has only one option, to reset, and then it resets the unit and just comes back to here..... ??????? What do i do now????

JVM error codes here

Livelink - Redirection
Old 11-21-2006, 02:24 PM   #52
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: If you knew me you would have it!
Carrier: T-Mobile

Works great for me. I've had it for a few days and actually used it on a trip from Chicago to Memphis and it worked fairly well. It's harder to read than TeleNav but for free I can't complain. Also, I was surprised to hear the little tone when you are coming up on your turn. One thing I didn't like is that it doesn't automatically jump to the next step in the directions.

Overall, I am happy with it.

Looking to buy or sale used car audio?
www.caraudioclassifieds.org
Old 11-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #53
teemo

Model: 7130e

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemo
I thought I saw something once about Verizon messing with the GPS services in the blackberry. True? Or maybe I'm just not doing it right, but with "location based services" on (not 911) and "start gps" in maps . . it thinks I'm in midtown on the west side when I'm queens. Is the map supposed to track you to where you are?
In case anyone else was wondering and didn't know, it does appear that VZW has hobbled their GPS for some reason . . .

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ht=verizon+gps

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 11-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #54
rta53
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm

Anyone know of or tried a bluetooth GPS with their BB?
Old 11-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #55
rwilliamtaylor

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I downloaded it from the Blackberry.com/maps site onto my 7130e from Verizon... I also have a Holux 231 Bluetooth GPS receiver that I used with SPOT. It connected right away to the GPS receiver and gives me turn by turn directions. The only thing it doesn't do is give you voice directions. You can also set it so the backlight doesn't turn off.

This is very cool. I haven't used it in the car to see what the refresh rate is like... I'll repost after some testing.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:16 PM   #56
faisal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
How does this measure up to TELENAV?

I thinkn Telenav is better but the only problem with that is that it resets my device alot
Old 11-21-2006, 07:33 PM   #57
jungleland

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal
I thinkn Telenav is better but the only problem with that is that it resets my device alot

after enough time to compare, I agree..Telenav is better. I have never had the reset problem..8700c
Old 11-22-2006, 03:21 AM   #58
dabull
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
drove home this afternoon with it and was pretty much on the money the whole way home measured speed and direction id say with in 1000 feet or so accuracy.
what reciever are you using, and how many satellites are you connecting to? i usually get 4 or 5, and its easily within 10ft. 1000ft is too far, it should be much closer then that.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:36 AM   #59
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

im using the gps device in the phone its self. if I zoom in its alot more than 1000ft but you cant see far enough in advance to turn zoom in but thats just me.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:31 AM   #60
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Google maps zooms in far better than the BB maps. I zoomed in on the complicated spaghetti ramps of 66, 295, and other roads in Washington DC and it was unreadable. Google is not only readable, but even has arrows to help figure out which way to go.
Closed Thread