Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
nick119
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular
Default Bluetooth Car Speaker set for new gm vehicle w/ OnStar

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys,

I just recently purchased an H3 (http://www.element-119.com/H3/100_1736.JPG - if you want to see what it looks like ) and I was wondering what is the best handsfree kit out right now to hook into the speakers of the car and mute the sound just like the onstar calling does. Does anyone know? I search the forums and found people with the similar issue, but I didnt see any solution. If you guys can guide me in what I need to buy and where to buy it, that'd be awesome. Thank you very much in advance.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
gmcwv

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I don't know the answer to your question. However if you are looking for something that is factory, you can switch the phone part of your onstar to verizon. The rest of onstar will work like always just the phone is ran through verizon. There is no hardware to change you just switch the service, not sure though if you need to have another phone with vzw but I would doubt it. we have vzw and switched it over in the truck and it works great.

Verizon Wireless with OnStar
Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I have not actually used this, so I can't vouch for it, but, the newer, higher end, garmin portable navigation units do what you want.

They can talk to your phone using Bluetooth
The microphone is in the navigation unit
It transmits the voice on FM so you listen to the phone through the car's radio speakers.

I believe the nuvi 660 does this, probably the other ones too.

I suspect it is not quite as nice as a built in, because I think, you will need to change the radio station.

(and you get navigation for free )

BTW -- OnStar (more specifically, GM's lack of a Bluetooth car kits because they want to sell you OnStar so that you pay them every month) is why this "buy American nut" won't buy GM cars. My current car is a Chrysler with U-connect (Chrysler's built in bluetooth car kit). 2008 Fords will have "Sync My Ride" which is even better.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
PabloTX
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have a Garmin C550, but it's not ideal. The mic is so far away from your mouth (mounted on windshield) that some people have trouble hearing me.

There is a product called the OnStar Lockpick which is a plug-in splice to your OnStar wiring. You then plug it into whichever 3rd party bluetooth module. The big downside I've found is that you have to use the mic from the 3rd party bluetooth module (rather than built-in onstar). That's precluded me from looking into this any further.

I have a new Silverado, and really detest GM for this whole OnStar garbage (not including bluetooth like just about every other car maker is now doing).
Closed Thread