Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Garmin Mobile for Blackberry -- Cool

Please Login to Remove!

Read about it here:
Garmin(R) Teams with Handmark to Expand Garmin Mobile(TM) Distribution: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

It will work with the 8800 & 8830 -- except from VZW

Last edited by birddog; 07-18-2007 at 08:52 AM..
Old 07-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

That does it. I am going with the 8800.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
nexteli836man
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Garman or Telenav both with voice still all the same 9.99 a month it would be nice to come out with a sd micro program stored maps without the monthy fee
Old 07-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
jojo6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
typical verizon. make sure your customers are behind everyone else in technology.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
juice901
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexteli836man View Post
Garman or Telenav both with voice still all the same 9.99 a month it would be nice to come out with a sd micro program stored maps without the monthy fee
Amen to that
Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree.. I had heard that Garmin too wanted to get into the subscription market (as opposed to the standalone devices with on board maps).

I really despise this subscription trend for navigation and maps.
I understand it for traffic, road conditions, construction etc.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
I agree.. I had heard that Garmin too wanted to get into the subscription market (as opposed to the standalone devices with on board maps).

I really despise this subscription trend for navigation and maps.
I understand it for traffic, road conditions, construction etc.
But if you have unlimited data, the only flaw in the subscription model is the inability to navigate if out of coverage. at $10/month, it really is no more expensive than paying a yearly fee for new maps. I've used TomTom, iGuidance and Mapopolis on PPC devices, and I've always had to pay to get updated maps. With the sub, OTA model, you always have access to the newest maps.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
But if you have unlimited data, the only flaw in the subscription model is the inability to navigate if out of coverage. at $10/month, it really is no more expensive than paying a yearly fee for new maps. I've used TomTom, iGuidance and Mapopolis on PPC devices, and I've always had to pay to get updated maps. With the sub, OTA model, you always have access to the newest maps.
I do agree with that. In the past I had purchase an on-board system for my palm pilot for about $200. At $10/mo it would take 20 months to equal my initial outlay of cash. If I were making decisions at Garmin, I would choose to take the $200 now (knowing that many people will pay for refreshed maps) rather than $10/mo (knowing that some people will drop out).

And personally, I'd rather have the maps on board.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Was not that impressed with the video demo compared to Telenav and they have had terrible customer support in the past.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
4tay

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Read about it here:
Garmin(R) Teams with Handmark to Expand Garmin Mobile(TM) Distribution: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

How do you get it on the 8800?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:36 AM   #11
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tay View Post
How do you get it on the 8800?
I haven't actually registered here, but check this site:
http://my.garmin.com
Old 07-20-2007, 12:06 AM   #12
jeffmik
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: none
Carrier: carrier

Wirelessly posted (7130e: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

I'd probably pay for it if there was a demo to prove it worked first. My mapquest install failed after a day but it was looking great.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:30 AM   #13
wxboss

Model: 8100
PIN: 23EC645F
Carrier: T-Mobile

When I signed up for it, it stated that the first charge to my CC wouldn't be until approximately 30 days after I bought it.

I would think that if you did buy it and it wouldn't work, you could quickly call and cancel without incurring any charges.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:39 AM   #14
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Who are you going to call? Ghostbusters! There customer service is not existant. How many emails have I sent with no response. Probably more than my post count. I don't trust them at this point. Stick with Telenav.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
tgray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 243b354f

If there was a demo, I would consider trying it out so I can compare it to TeleNav. I use TeleNav now, but it works fine for me. I guess I'll stick with it for now.

Has anyone used both of these apps so they can compare them for us?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #16
powercx
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

Just downloaded the Garmin Mobile and I'll do a comparison between Telenav 5.1 and Garmin Mobile 4.0

I hope there's traffic somewhere so I can see how I can avoid the traffic and do my comparison from there.

The reason why I got my BB 8800 is because of the Traffic ability with Telenav and the built-in GPS. Now that there's Garmin Mobile with Traffic, I might switch if it's better than Telenav.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #17
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercx View Post
Just downloaded the Garmin Mobile and I'll do a comparison between Telenav 5.1 and Garmin Mobile 4.0
Unfortunately, I suspect that you will find that the technology is still not really there yet. Too few roads have real-time traffic delay information. Further, most of the 'route engines' used by mapping and navigation systems even take traffic lights into consideration, let alone updates from real-time traffic.

Where I live, there is a fairly large city to the north of me, and there is a north/south by-pass highway that skirts around the eastern side of the city. Whenever I want to travel to a area north of the city, each mapping program that I use (google, yahoo, mapquest or one of several GPS systems) will take me through the city. The problem is that there are about 35 traffic lights taking that route and it is MUCH slower than taking the by-pass. As far as I can tell, there is no routing engine available that includes a 'traffic light' delay when generating a route. Yes, if I could really drive the speed limit through the city, it would probably be faster than the by-pass.

The systems that I have used that have real-time traffic reports also do not offer reliable alternative routes; they simply warn you that there are delays on the recommended route.

This technology is still in its infancy and I expect improvements to come quickly.

There is a website (Traffic.com) which is developed by Navteq, the same company that created the maps for most of the navigation systems, that will give you a pretty good idea of the state of the traffic report technology. Visit it, you can map out your common trips and get reports on the traffic, you can also see traffic cams in your area to see if there are delays at some of the hot spots. As good as this is, the technology still has a long way to go.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #18
powercx
Thumbs Must Hurt

After a brief view of Garmin Mobile, there are things that Garmin Mobile has an advantage over Telenav. This is based on a standstill view of the program. Not navigated yet.

1. View Traffic: This ability gives you a heads up on the surrounding area where the traffic is located with detailed information. Telenav shows the detailed traffic, however, it doesn't tell you if its South Bound or North Bound. Of course, with rubber neckers out there, it could affect both sides Right? With Garmin Mobile, you can directly go to the Traffic Area, where as Telenav, you have to scroll to it to see where the traffic is.

2. Price of Gas are the same between the two. It shows the distance from where you are located and by the Company.

3. Telenav has the ability to select where you are if there is no GPS location can be found in two steps. With Garmin Mobile, it takes a few steps to do it. Select Where To? Then the Address you are going to, then there's a selection of Start navigating or Find Nearby and other selection. Click on Find Nearby, then it will go to another menu with a list of choices of what you want to find.

4. The Weather is nice, though Yahoo Go! can do the same via GPS Location, it's no big deal as an feature.

5. The Hotel Prices by location is a plus for travelers like me. It display all of the prices on the surrounding area, 10+ miles. It has ratings on the hotels that you selected, all built-in, and you can call it by hitting the Call Button to rsvp your hotel.

6. Entering a location is good too. If you enter the address, it ask for the number first, then the next one ask for the street name. No need to use the numlock. With Telenav, it ask for it in one line, so you have to switch from Number keys to Letters. No big deal really.

7. Intiutive? Yes, both are equally the same, very easy to use, straight forward and no clutter. It's straight forward, just like my Portable Garmin C550 GPS in my car which I don't use anymore since I got the BlackBerry 8800.

Will let you guys know about the navigation part soon.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #19
powercx
Thumbs Must Hurt

After an hour of lunch, wondering aimlessly around 3 miles of radius driving, I noticed that there is a turn ahead view on Garmin Mobile which is not available on Telenav. With Telenav, I always wonder if I should be on the left, middle or the very right lane after I finish a turn. With Garmin Mobile, I wonder no more.

The street name display was big, not like Telenav, where the time of arrival was small, and the sound quality isn't that great coming out of Telenav. With Garmin Mobile, the sound was clearer than Telenav, text was big, and if I miss a turn, it will re-calculate as fast as Telenav could, which still doesn't impress me. None of the GPS Program that I know of can't reroute fast enough, not even when it was compared to the Garmin Nuvi 660.

Overall direction was clearer, it zoom'ed out showing the next exit, so you are aware where the next turn would be. I haven't come across the traffic yet, maybe after work when there is a load of cars going home.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #20
motogq

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F635E7

You guys are mentioning $10/month with Garmin. The only option is annual fee for $99. I don't see any option for month by month subscription.
Closed Thread