Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #21
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Btw just wondering if you download bb maps off the bb site why is their an expert about att.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #22
consultant_guy

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Guys - I am also trying to be a voice of sanity here. I would NOT simply believe that this story is true in it's stated form. It is possible that AT&T will neuter the GPS functionality but I doubt it has anything to do with iPhone. First of all, the iPhone does not have a GPS chip so how would this at all avoid competition with the Apple product?

Think about this: The 8800 has GPS that is not crippled in any way. It works fine. Now AT&T is going to launch the 8820 and leave Wi-Fi working but take away GPS? Makes no sense.

Sometimes the motivation for crippling GPS is to simply spur more TeleNav subscriptions. The carriers want to make more money off you, and this is one way they think they can do it. Problem is, T-Mo will gain ground on everyone because they have 1) lower prices; 2) they understand BlackBerry really well; 3) they do not cripple GPS.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #23
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by consultant_guy View Post
Guys - I am also trying to be a voice of sanity here. I would NOT simply believe that this story is true in it's stated form. It is possible that AT&T will neuter the GPS functionality but I doubt it has anything to do with iPhone. First of all, the iPhone does not have a GPS chip so how would this at all avoid competition with the Apple product?

Think about this: The 8800 has GPS that is not crippled in any way. It works fine. Now AT&T is going to launch the 8820 and leave Wi-Fi working but take away GPS? Makes no sense.

Sometimes the motivation for crippling GPS is to simply spur more TeleNav subscriptions. The carriers want to make more money off you, and this is one way they think they can do it. Problem is, T-Mo will gain ground on everyone because they have 1) lower prices; 2) they understand BlackBerry really well; 3) they do not cripple GPS.
As of now Tmobile isn't, at&t didn't either until now. Might be the new trend for cell companies. We will see.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #24
WonkotheSane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
No, to make money collecting monthly telnav subscriptions.
That does make sense. Could at&t be spreading the apple rumor to deflect attention away from their own greed? Hmmm ...
Old 08-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #25
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkotheSane View Post
That does make sense. Could at&t be spreading the apple rumor to deflect attention away from their own greed? Hmmm ...
I don't believe anyone other than some idiot is spreading anything, whether they actually work for AT&T or not. Someone probably thought this was good fodder for chatter ("OOO - big bad Apple is trying to crush our beloved BB!"), and as it turns out they're right.

BlackBerryCool takes a huge hit in the credibility department as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #26
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Yeah i agree 100% I think this is BS and BlackberryCool will take a hit as they are pushing this and i think its just them trying to get publicity for the 8820 and to vilify Apple in this. I say its BS....
Old 08-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #27
Mooseman2181

Model: 8310
Carrier: cingular

If this this true can't you just buy one from out of the country, which is not from AT&T.

BlackBerry® 8820 Smartphone Wireless Handled Device | Sleek Design with High Performance Features | Wi-Fi
Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #28
PabloTX

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I don't believe the rumors, but if true would be very disappointed in AT&T. This is the exact reason I recently left Verizon (neutered GPS in the 8830). Granted, there are more options thanks to unlocked handsets, but I don't want AT&T to start doing to their handsets what Verizon has been doing for years.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #29
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

The problem with this scenario is you cannot use other useful LBS applications. For example there are some great golf scorecard applications which can utilize the GPS system to give you distance to the hole. I am using mScorecard on my Sprint 8830 and I appreciate the ability to use the GPS.

If Sprint had made an agreement with Telenav like the one AT&T is rumored to have, then apps like mScorecard would be useless.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #30
mcd2023
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
I strongly, strongly doubt this was done to "protect" Apple. The iPhone and BlackBerry really aren't competing with each other. The 8820 can't compete with an iPhone - it's a different device offering different strengths.

This sounds like someone covering RIM's or ATT's ass in order to hoist the blame on the iPhone.
In a typical consumers eyes. They are competing
Old 08-18-2007, 11:58 PM   #31
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

I think something most of us are forgetting is that when AT&T released the 8800, GPS was limited to functionality with TeleNav only (out of the box). I doubt they 'neutered' the 8820 in any new method than what they did with the 8800. Download and install the 8820 software, edit the Platform.alx file, connect to BDM, and an let the device do an automatic reboot. This enables it to work with BlackBerry Maps (of which is not preloaded on AT&T-branded BlackBerry devices). Download Google Maps and it works just fine.

If it turns out this is not the case, so be it. But I could definitely see how misinformation could spread through the lips of someone from the inside of AT&T who didn't know any better and was simply reading marketing material. Afterall, if I was behind the decisions at AT&T, I would definitely want everyone who needed to know some sales material to think that GPS would be an enabled feature for $10/mo, right? You start with planting a seed with the employees and letting it grow into food for your customers.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited by jibi; 08-18-2007 at 11:59 PM..
Old 08-19-2007, 12:12 AM   #32
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
Download and install the 8820 software, edit the Platform.alx file, connect to BDM, and an let the device do an automatic reboot. This enables it to work with BlackBerry Maps (of which is not preloaded on AT&T-branded BlackBerry devices).
I think you mean LBS.alx??
Old 08-19-2007, 08:49 AM   #33
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I think you mean LBS.alx??
Yeah, that one too.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #34
shtekler
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: cingular ATT
Default Bb8800/8820 Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
I think something most of us are forgetting is that when AT&T released the 8800, GPS was limited to functionality with Elena only (out of the box). I doubt they 'neutered' the 8820 in any new method than what they did with the 8800. Download and install the 8820 software, edit the Platform.alx file, connect to BDM, and an let the device do an automatic reboot. This enables it to work with BlackBerry Maps (of which is not preloaded on AT&T-branded BlackBerry devices). Download Google Maps and it works just fine.

If it turns out this is not the case, so be it. But I could definitely see how misinformation could spread through the lips of someone from the inside of AT&T who didn't know any better and was simply reading marketing material. Afterall, if I was behind the decisions at AT&T, I would definitely want everyone who needed to know some sales material to think that GPS would be an enabled feature for $10/mo, right? You start with planting a seed with the employees and letting it grow into food for your customers.

Just some food for thought.
I live in the USA and telenav is fine,but when I travel I like telenav to supply me maps of other countries.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #35
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2023 View Post
In a typical consumers eyes. They are competing
RIM better hope not if that's true because typical consumers aren't going to prefer their devices to the iPhone. Sure, an iPhone is more expensive, but go compare its media features to an 8300. And then go take a look at the data plans for iPhone vs. a BB.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #36
cnlevo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: 241F202B

It's true. I'm an AT&T Agent and yea...it's true. The big thing they are pushing with the 8820 dropping is the WiFi.

The new version of the curve that won't be released this quarter (unfortunately) will have full GPS functionality though. So IMHO it will be far superior then the 8820 which right now the only advantage it has over the curve is GPS....form and everything the curve still beats it hands down. Unless you work with security sensitive information in which you aren't allowed to carry a phone with a camera (which one of my clients do, and he only carries the 8800 because he can't go onto parts of our naval station with a camera phone, but he owns a curve that he uses when he doesn't have to go into the office).
Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 AM   #37
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

i think what att did is ghost the bb maps icon. even tmo's 8800 cam witha telnav icon. buy the bbmas icon was also avalable. now when you installl the vodaphone os an an apply the pre modified blackberry.ALX you unlock all the themes right?
well i decided to look through att's theme an i noticed the bbmaps icon was hidden. however it's pretty much enabled on the other carriers themes.

Im a betting man and say if you unlock other carriers themes you could use the bbmaps on another carriers theme.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #38
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

probably a rumor and if its true then ATT is following in verizons footsteps with greed
Old 08-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #39
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
probably a rumor and if its true then ATT is following in verizons footsteps with greed

its not greed its called capitolism and I love it.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #40
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
its not greed its called capitolism and I love it.

agreed. free market /capitalism solve problems on their own, if a company gets too much then another will offer something better, its just how it works.