Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #41
mdobbles

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Bluetooth sample app requires reboot to get it to work

Please Login to Remove!

I had posted the issue below elsewhere in this forum and just today saw this thread. It sounds like I'm experiencing exactly the problem described at the top of this thread. Like the original poster, I'm working on this for a work project. The steps outlined below where witnessed by a second engineer who I brought in so he could see if he saw anything unusual in the steps I was taking. Here's my original post:

I have been running the RIM provided Bluetooth Sample application to communicate with a serial port dongle. My problem is that after I first pair the device to get the application to work I have to first power down my cell phone and remove the battery. If I do this, then the device list that I can connect to includes to Bluetooth serial port dongle to which I desire to connect. (In the RIM provided sample app this list is returned from the Java call _portInfo = BluetoothSerialPort.getSerialPortInfo();)

Here's the exact experiment I did:
1. Bluetooth Sample is working. I am able to type data on my Blackberry and have it come out on in Hyperterminal on the PC and vice versa.

2. Close the application. (Really closing it, by using the menu option and selecting close, not just leaving it run in the background.)

3. Go to options->Bluetooth on my phone and delete the device.

4. Add the device under options->Bluetooth. After a search the serial port dongle that I want communicate with comes up. I pair with it. It as me the numeric code and I give it. At this point the blue light on the phone flashes and the item appears bold in the list of devices (which I think means paired and connected). I believe a moment later the blue light goes away and it is not connected. (At some point it definitely is not flashing the blue, I'm just not sure when.)

5. I return to my BluetoothSample and start it up. Under the list of items that you can connect to the Bluetooth serial port dongle no longer appears. (As I noted earlier this list is returned in the provided sample by the Java call BluetoothSerialPort.getSerialPortInfo()). This is the failure. Eventhough I believe I am paired with this serial port Dongle, it does not show up in the list and I can't use the application.

6. If I power down my phone, disconnect the battery (which is necessary, powering down is not enough), and I start back up and go to my BluetoothSample app, now the dongle appears in the list of items I can connect to and I can get the application to work.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #42
Ciddy

Model: 8820
Default Problem recognizing all services on Bluetooth Stereo Headset

A similar problem, I am experiencing some problems when pairing my Bluetooth Nokia BH-501 headset. It worked fine at first but now it only recognizes 2 or sometimes 1 of the 5 services available.

Either it only plays media, or it only receives calls, but not all services work together. I tried resetting, re-pairing, battery removal, etc etc etc

Old 12-13-2007, 05:43 AM   #43
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdobbles View Post
I had posted the issue below elsewhere in this forum and just today saw this thread. It sounds like I'm experiencing exactly the problem described at the top of this thread. Like the original poster, I'm working on this for a work project. The steps outlined below where witnessed by a second engineer who I brought in so he could see if he saw anything unusual in the steps I was taking. Here's my original post:

I have been running the RIM provided Bluetooth Sample application to communicate with a serial port dongle. My problem is that after I first pair the device to get the application to work I have to first power down my cell phone and remove the battery. If I do this, then the device list that I can connect to includes to Bluetooth serial port dongle to which I desire to connect. (In the RIM provided sample app this list is returned from the Java call _portInfo = BluetoothSerialPort.getSerialPortInfo();)

Here's the exact experiment I did:
1. Bluetooth Sample is working. I am able to type data on my Blackberry and have it come out on in Hyperterminal on the PC and vice versa.

2. Close the application. (Really closing it, by using the menu option and selecting close, not just leaving it run in the background.)

3. Go to options->Bluetooth on my phone and delete the device.

4. Add the device under options->Bluetooth. After a search the serial port dongle that I want communicate with comes up. I pair with it. It as me the numeric code and I give it. At this point the blue light on the phone flashes and the item appears bold in the list of devices (which I think means paired and connected). I believe a moment later the blue light goes away and it is not connected. (At some point it definitely is not flashing the blue, I'm just not sure when.)

5. I return to my BluetoothSample and start it up. Under the list of items that you can connect to the Bluetooth serial port dongle no longer appears. (As I noted earlier this list is returned in the provided sample by the Java call BluetoothSerialPort.getSerialPortInfo()). This is the failure. Eventhough I believe I am paired with this serial port Dongle, it does not show up in the list and I can't use the application.

6. If I power down my phone, disconnect the battery (which is necessary, powering down is not enough), and I start back up and go to my BluetoothSample app, now the dongle appears in the list of items I can connect to and I can get the application to work.
Next time this happens try this:

After the dongle is paired highlight it on the list of paired devices, press the menu button on the BB and select Device properties. Check at the bottom under services and see if it lists SPP slave or if it is just completely blank.

I have a feeling that you will find this blank. If you press the menu button again and select refresh service list it should force it to install the SPP slave services for the dongle and then I think you should see it from within your application.

Its really bloody annoying when you are trying to develop a new product for a faulty platform :( I wouldn't mind even if it was just consistently faulty but when you are trying to explain to a customer that the fault is with the BB and not your product and they have something else connected via bluetooth that is working fine it is hard to convince them.

Last edited by Paul Bowles; 12-13-2007 at 05:47 AM..
Old 12-13-2007, 05:44 AM   #44
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
A similar problem, I am experiencing some problems when pairing my Bluetooth Nokia BH-501 headset. It worked fine at first but now it only recognizes 2 or sometimes 1 of the 5 services available.

Either it only plays media, or it only receives calls, but not all services work together. I tried resetting, re-pairing, battery removal, etc etc etc

Did you try removing the battery while the BB was still powered on (don't power it off and then remove it). Also try the steps I just posted above and see if you can force the BB to install the services.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #45
Trowa_Barton

Model: 8700
Carrier: A1

can confirm bluetooth issues on BB 8700g, and BB8100 with different 4.2 OS
short term solution for a bad BT connection with Jabra headsets was to manually connect it via the bluetooth menu of the BB.

BB8800 with 4.2 OS doesn t have this issue (useing the same headsets).
Old 12-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #46
jrd1967a

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Acura Call waiting

I have a '06 TL using a BB 8830 VZN. Pairs fine, works fine except answering call-waiting has to be performed using the BB. RAZR worked fine on call-waiting.
Using version 4.2.2.148. Any solutions? i see nothing on any posts concerning this problem.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #47
mdobbles

Model: Pearl
Default Downgrading OS for Bluetooth compatibility

Earlier in this thread it was suggested that one could downgrade their OS to 4.1 as a workaround to the bluetooth connectivity issue. I followed the link in this thread and found the list of carriers and a list of OS upgrades that I could perform. What I didn't find was an earlier version (i.e. 4.1). Does anyone know how I could get this older version?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #48
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

There is no version 4.1 for the Pearl. You need to downgrade to 4.2.0.xx in order to fix the bluetooth issues on the Pearl.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:36 AM   #49
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 2826774b
Carrier: Telus-Personal/Rogers Work
Cool 8830 Issues with BT

Guys/Gals:

I'm running ver 4.2.2.176 on a BB 8830

Now to say I have tons of exp. with this thing would be grossly misleading, I've only had this unit for 3 days. As such the BT ability of the BB is one that is essential for me to justify this units existence in my vehicles tool list. I am seriously looking at going with a Garmin nuvi 660 that also has BT ability along with an FM transmitter such that calls can be routed through ones Car (trk) radio....for a sales guy on the road (70K kms + annually), having GPS with a BT enabled Phone is a no brainer.

so the question becomes...is this still an issue / and is it still an issue with the 8830's.?

BTW: am using headset H700 Motorola....with lousy volume..?? I'll look for a fix here on that issue.!

Rgds,

stk
Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 AM   #50
John Clark
BBF Moderator

There has been no fix, as of yet. Some devices work fine while others have lots of trouble. It's hit and miss. My 8320 works fine most of the time with an occasional disconnect. Some have disconnects all the time. If bluetooth GPS is critical then I wouldn't promise anything with the BB.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:41 AM   #51
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have upgraded one of the Curves we have that was effected to 4.3.1.17 which seems to have made it better. Haven't really been able to test it fully though yet or try any other versions of 4.3 so cant say it is 100% fixed.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #52
doctorf

Model: 8300
Carrier: O2

I updated my Nuvi 310 to the latest firmware and it has made no difference whatsoever. The only hope is for when new 4.3 s/w is available for the Curve although if RIM do not admit the problem I can't see that they will have fixed it.

Simon F
Old 12-30-2007, 01:14 AM   #53
eram

Model: 9530
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorf View Post
I updated my Nuvi 310 to the latest firmware and it has made no difference whatsoever. The only hope is for when new 4.3 s/w is available for the Curve although if RIM do not admit the problem I can't see that they will have fixed it.

Simon F
The 3.0 Bluetooth firmware update for the nuvi 660 also did not fix the problem...I did read that downgrading to bluetooth v2.4 on your nuvi will fix it though? Call garmin support and they should be able to send you a copy of it. Trying it in the morning!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #54
gteague
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakman View Post
Guys/Gals:

I'm running ver 4.2.2.176 on a BB 8830

Now to say I have tons of exp. with this thing would be grossly misleading, I've only had this unit for 3 days. <del>

so the question becomes...is this still an issue / and is it still an issue with the 8830's.?

<del> Rgds,

stk

bb 8320 v4.2.2.180
nuvi 360 (bt v3.0)
nuvi 680 (bt v3.0)

i just upgraded both my gps and my phone from the garmin nuvi 360 to the nuvi 680 and from the 8700g to the 8320 respectively. the 360 and the 8700g worked together so flawlessly and transparently that it was a jarring moment to find out that although the 680 and the 8320 would pair and connect just fine, they would disconnect within a few seconds.

i've called garmin twice now, but the problem appears to be with the phone. it shows the same disconnecting behavior when i connect it to the 360 instead of the 680. but it does work fine with every other bt device i've paired it with including earpieces (3), stereo headsets, computers and even a portable bt gps unit.

garmin today said there is a note attached to the curve model saying something like 'support coming soon', but i think the fault lies in the phone.

i tried downloading the bt downgraded files (v2.4 and v2.8 i think), but that didn't work. i've also replaced the phone battery and reset it several times.

in the nuvi 680 diagnostics menu there is a whole page of bt diagnostics which i have no idea how to use and garmin wouldn't provide me an engineer to walk me through them (!). with diagnostics like these i think it would be just a matter of an engineer each from garmin and rim on the phone at the same time to work this issue out.

it is extremely frustrating, especially when you consider the bt option on the nuvis adds $100 or more to the price.

/guy
Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #55
John Clark
BBF Moderator

This may sound like a strange question but is your bluetooth LED enabled? In some cases, this seems to have an effect on the disconnects, at least with the BT GPS receivers. If it's disabled, go to Bluetooth >Options >and turn it back on and see what happens.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:56 AM   #56
gteague

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
This may sound like a strange question but is your bluetooth LED enabled? In some cases, this seems to have an effect on the disconnects, at least with the BT GPS receivers. If it's disabled, go to Bluetooth >Options >and turn it back on and see what happens.
hi john:

usually i run with turned off but i did turn it on a few days ago in an effort to troubleshooting the problem. but just today i've managed to downgrade my bt firmware by combining some instructions i found on gpspassion forum. here's the link and what i posted there:

GpsPasSion Forums - Bluetooth downgrade on 760

Quote:
many thanks to all on this thread. after a week of trying i have finally managed to successfully downgrade my nuvi 680 to the bt v2.4 firmware and my curve 8320 has stayed connected for 30 minutes--the longest time it has stayed connected in 2 weeks. usually it disconnects within a few seconds.

the reason it took so long for me to get this to work was that after i replaced the bt file the unit would not update the bt firmware automatically upon startup. i had to go into the speed screen and hold down the top center button (the moving avg display field--i swear i did that several days ago and it didn't work) but this time it dumped me into a series of diagnostic pages that i just hit 'next' on until i reached the bluetooth screen and hit the 'updt pr' button.

in other words, i had to combine the instructions posted by zx14ninja and sandlapper.

it's not perfect, i've had one brief disconnect, but i'll take whatever i can get until garmin and rim get their act together on this.
/guy
Old 01-09-2008, 02:16 AM   #57
John Clark
BBF Moderator

That may help. It won't help for most Bluetooth GPS receivers used with the BB. The issue is in the RIM OS. Did this help for your issue?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:41 AM   #58
gteague

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
That may help. It won't help for most Bluetooth GPS receivers used with the BB. The issue is in the RIM OS. Did this help for your issue?
yes, for a fact it has helped. up until i downgraded the ft firmware in the nuvi i've been unable to hold a connection more than a few seconds at a time. the first attempt after the downgrade it held the connection for 30 minutes with only one brief disconnect.

funny thing is, i have a small gps receiver with no controls (navbrite?) which i got to use with google maps on the curve and it seems to work perfectly. that's why i say that i think garmin and rim have to talk to each other because some protocol used between their units is going haywire.

/guy
Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #59
jsdritz

Model: 8300
Default Same issue for me

Blackberry Curve - Plantronics 510 headset. All was fine, then quit. Tried refreshing services and get seemingly eternal "Waiting for PLT 510" message on blackberry. Tried two different devices (both headsets) and they pair successfully but don't do anything else.

I am a dunce on these devices so any help on how to upgrade OS would be helpful.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #60
halloween75

Model: 8100

I have the same problem...it will work for a week or so and then disconnect but the blue light still blinks and I get an uncaught exception. Only with my car, works fine with the headset. This happens on my pearl as well as my husbands 8700. My pearl is on 4.2.1.96. I want to downgrade the software. The original pearl I had worked fine and then I had other issues and got another through the warranty and then another...and both had this same problem. Does anyone have the link for the "good" software for the pearl and any advice to doing that...I have never done it and not sure...
thanks!
Closed Thread