Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
scsummers

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Question How proprietary is the RIM Network

Please Login to Remove!

Senior Management has mandated that we install a BES and start supporting Blackberry's for executives. No issues with Blackberrys per se just not overly familiar with them and I wanted to appeal to the experts to see what are the gotchas I should avoid.

Initially we will have BES for Domino installed (soon to have BES for Exchange as well since we are migrating off of Notes).

One thing I have been trying to undertand is how proprietary the RIM network is. Is their network another link in the chain in addition to your cellular provider? Also, just to verify but if you are using your own BES, none of your data ever resides on RIM servers, correct (getting questions about this from Management)?

Also, I would assume there is some way to ensure that internet traffic can be routed through existing web filtering devices in our company?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I moved this to the BES Admin forum. I think you'll get better answers over here.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsummers View Post
One thing I have been trying to undertand is how proprietary the RIM network is. Is their network another link in the chain in addition to your cellular provider?
Data goes from BES to RIM to wireless carrier.

Quote:
Also, just to verify but if you are using your own BES, none of your data ever resides on RIM servers, correct (getting questions about this from Management)?
5 messages per BlackBerry are held on their system for queueing purposes. This is for when you are out of coverage. When you get back into coverage the messages are released. Keep in mind that these messages are 3DES/AES encrypted.

Quote:
Also, I would assume there is some way to ensure that internet traffic can be routed through existing web filtering devices in our company?
BES uses session connection so there should not be any filtering going on. You just need to open port 3101.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:52 PM   #4
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Initially we will have BES for Domino installed (soon to have BES for Exchange as well since we are migrating off of Notes).
Not sure on this one. I think you will have to contact RIM to get your license switched to BES Exchange licensing. They may charge you for this.

Quote:
One thing I have been trying to undertand is how proprietary the RIM network is. Is their network another link in the chain in addition to your cellular provider?
Yes, you will need a Blackberry Data plan from your carrier with your Blackberry. This is separate from your voice plan. Matter of fact Verizon will not activate a Blackberry with out a blackberry data plan.

Quote:
Also, just to verify but if you are using your own BES, none of your data ever resides on RIM servers, correct (getting questions about this from Management)?
Yes your data/email does go through RIM. But they don't read them because they are encrypted with Triple DES - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and or Advanced Encryption Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Keep in mind that our Government uses Blackberry's for this very reason of "it's the most secure wireless email delivery solution in the world, period"

Also note that with this functionality your blackberry will now be a part of your network. What this means that your blackberry can now access applications residing on your internal network. So if you have any internal websites you can now view them on your blackberry.

Quote:
Yes, if your BES is behind your firewall/proxy internet gateway (that also does web filtering). Then your Blackberry's internet surfing will be filtered as well. Also note that as long as you have the server option enabled for all blackberry web/internet traffic is routed through the BES server and not through the carriers gateway (there is an option for this, by default it goes through the BES).

Last edited by BigA; 02-04-2008 at 12:07 AM..
Old 02-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
BES uses session connection so there should not be any filtering going on. You just need to open port 3101.
Just to clarify this, you need to ensure that port 3101 is open outbound. You do not need to open an inbound port on 3101 to this server as NO INBOUND CONNECTIONS ARE STARTED TO A BES FROM RIM.

Firewall and connection requirements for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
Not sure on this one. I think you will have to contact RIM to get your license switched to BES Exchange licensing. They may charge you for this.
This is not the case. CAL's don't matter between BES versions/platforms. When switching mail platforms you will need BES for Exchange software as there is a BES install package for each platform.

Essentially you will be starting from scratch because the users will have to be moved from Domino to Exchange you will be using a new DB for the Exchange BES. Meanign you will will have to add them on the Exchange BES and activate the BB and you should wipe them as well before activating to avoid any issues there.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
scsummers

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Smile Thanks for your input!

All,

Thank you very much for your input! This definitely points me in the right direction and dispels some rumors I have heard and puts me more at ease in implementing the technology.

I will make sure to come here for any questions I have in the future!

Closed Thread