Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
DarthHouston

Model: 8220
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Getting IT Dept. approval for Desktop Manager

Please Login to Remove!

In order to get IT department approval to install the desktop management software on my laptop, I have to complete this form, and I understand the IT department is particular about getting everything right. So I'm wondering what can I put for these questions:

Vendor/publisher contact person's name:
The phone number for that person:
The email address is:

The rest of this 2-page document is pretty easy, especially since the software is freely available on the internet from Blackberry.
I'm in a public school district so it's not like the district is going to pay for a customer service contract or anything, but outside of that the Blackberry website is less than forthcoming with any kind of names/contact info. The best I can find is at na.blackberry.com/eng/contact -- not helpful for my document, though.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I would put down your name, your phone number on the BB, and your BES email address. If you don't have a BES address then use your primary personal email address.

If you were a sub-contractor then your manager's name would probably go in the Vendor/Publisher field, but since you're a direct hire by the school district it should be your name.

Last edited by rambo47; 01-12-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Wouldn't vendor/publisher refer to the software company?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I thought that since it's "Vendor/publisher contact person's name", it becomes the end user.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
DarthHouston

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Wouldn't vendor/publisher refer to the software company?
Yes, of course it does refer to the software company.
I could just put "Blackberry" or "RIM" but the form states "name", and the IT department will likely come back and say, yeah, WHO should we call in case software x interferes with software y.
And I might be willing to put just "Blackberry Customer Service" if I found a customer service number, but the contacts page lists no such thing that I saw -- a sales service telephone number to sell customer service programs, yes, but not a generic number, since Blackberry (quite reasonably, I think) clearly considers these many forums to be the frontline of customer service.

Last edited by DarthHouston; 01-12-2010 at 10:53 PM..
Old 01-13-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Since your school district won't provide support for your BlackBerry, and since RIM is incredibly elusive on this, you become your own support service. Hence my suggestion that you list your own information in the Vendor/publisher.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #7
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHouston View Post
... but not a generic number, since Blackberry (quite reasonably, I think) clearly considers these many forums to be the frontline of customer service.
Ummmm ..... these forums are not run by nor associated with RIM nor "BlackBerry".
Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHouston View Post
Yes, of course it does refer to the software company.
I could just put "Blackberry" or "RIM" but the form states "name", and the IT department will likely come back and say, yeah, WHO should we call in case software x interferes with software y.
And I might be willing to put just "Blackberry Customer Service" if I found a customer service number, but the contacts page lists no such thing that I saw -- a sales service telephone number to sell customer service programs, yes, but not a generic number, since Blackberry (quite reasonably, I think) clearly considers these many forums to be the frontline of customer service.
A quick search on blackberry.com revelealed the following:

BlackBerry Incident Based Support for Smartphone Users – $49 USD
BlackBerry® smartphone users can receive support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for any issues relating to BlackBerry® Internet Service, smartphone functionality and approved smartphone applications at a cost of $49 USD per incident.

Purchase a smartphone support incident by calling 1-877-255-2377 (toll free) or 1-519-888-6181. Upon entering the telephone menu, select option 2 for technical support, followed by option 4 to be routed appropriately.

Put down that number although I'm not sure how much support they give to DM, as I don't have it loaded anywhere.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

What about [email address]? And the corporate number. It really sounds like just a generic form where someone put all the things they thought might be important.

Have you tried just calling your IT folks and asking them what you should do? You may be worrying about things they wouldn't even care about for DM.

Research In Motion - Contact
Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Noodle22

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
A quick search on blackberry.com revelealed the following:

BlackBerry Incident Based Support for Smartphone Users – $49 USD
BlackBerry® smartphone users can receive support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for any issues relating to BlackBerry® Internet Service, smartphone functionality and approved smartphone applications at a cost of $49 USD per incident.

Purchase a smartphone support incident by calling 1-877-255-2377 (toll free) or 1-519-888-6181. Upon entering the telephone menu, select option 2 for technical support, followed by option 4 to be routed appropriately.

Put down that number although I'm not sure how much support they give to DM, as I don't have it loaded anywhere.

I had a customer today who bought a Storm from ebay and could not figure out why the data was not working, our tech department advised her it was because the phone was flagged as stolen so all data was blocked.

The customer called RIM to see if they would give her any info so she could return the device to the original owner, and they said they could not (she would have to call the carrier for that), and they still charged her the 49 dollars.
Closed Thread