Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Storm Desktop Cradle question

Please Login to Remove!

I love the feature of the desktop cradle turning the phone into a clock and the whole "bedside mode" thing.

One question though: Is there any way to make the message alerts stop sounding when it is in the cradle in bedside mode? You can turn off the LED and dim the clock, and you can turn off the radio, but I want to leave the radio on so I can receive calls, but silence the message alerts.

I thought turning off the tones in "holster" would do this, but it doesn't.

If I turn it on vibrate mode, then I won't hear the phone ring if a call comes in. I guess I could set up a custom profile, but then I have to turn on bedside mode and set it to a custom profile every night (and undo both in the morning).

Is there a way to customize bedside mode so that it accomplishes this?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
Rustproofcorn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

why not just put the phone in silent mode
Old 12-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
Hebdog7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: Some leters and numbers
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustproofcorn View Post
why not just put the phone in silent mode
OP may miss a call at night.

I dont think you can silence the alerts for your messages and still get phone calls with out a custom profile set up. If you turn the radio off you will get nothing till you turn it back on.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

As it is, I've forgotten to turn off bedside mode a few times. Having to change two profiles is a PITA. Shouldn't bedside mode have this option as well.

And BTW, what is the deal with the option for turning off tones when in the "holster"? This is for a belt clip or the magnetic case? I've never used this because I keep it in my pocket. I thought it would be for when it is plugged in to the usb port, but I guess not.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
Hebdog7
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Some leters and numbers

No the "holster" option is for a holster that has a little magnet or something in it that activates the "holster" mode for the phone. The cradle is just a charging pod that you can charge or sync with.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

what if I glue a little magnet on the cradle? Do you think that would solve my problem?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
irishone127
Knows Where the Search Button Is

what desktop cradle are you using? I was not aware there was one and I love the idea of seeing it as my bedside clock. I have my phone set to bedside mode at night. I klove seeing the clock displayed.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Holster mode also puts the device into sleep mode, turning off the screen to help conserve battery power. So if you glued a magnet to the cradle, it would defeat the purpose.

I agree that bedside options should let you disable all sounds except calls. Or maybe even add a section in profile setup that lets you customize what happens when in bedside mode, similar to how you can specify what happens when the device is holstered.

Rob
Old 12-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
rickinesta

While we are talking about the charging stand for the Storm... I thought that I read somewhere that the BlackBerry Logo on the front of the cradle lights up, is this true? I know that there is one located on the top that lights up when connected, just curious about the front?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
rxloren

Model: Storm

I kinda like the "vibrate while in holster" mode.... I does save battery power. My storm is a battery hog! Anybody else experiencing almost a full discharge after maye 1 or 2 days? wow.. the cradle works great to recharge nightly. Is it "safe" to charge this thing overnight?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
misterbulldog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UB4 View Post
what if I glue a little magnet on the cradle? Do you think that would solve my problem?
LOL!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
dhendriksen
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Wirelessly posted

Just out it on the phone only profile. Also, I have mine setup so that it enters bedside mode when charging and it automatically exits bedside mode when removed from the charger. All I do is put it in phone only profile when I set it in my cradle, then back to normal when I take it off.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
Wirelessly posted

Just out it on the phone only profile. Also, I have mine setup so that it enters bedside mode when charging and it automatically exits bedside mode when removed from the charger. All I do is put it in phone only profile when I set it in my cradle, then back to normal when I take it off.
How did you set it up to enter bedside mode when charging and exit when removed from the charger? My screen automatically changes to the clock, but I still have to manually enter bedside mode.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishone127 View Post
what desktop cradle are you using? I was not aware there was one and I love the idea of seeing it as my bedside clock. I have my phone set to bedside mode at night. I klove seeing the clock displayed.
Below is the photo of the cradle. I bought it at the Verizon store. It is the official BB cradle. It's great for charging at night, and I'm going to get a second one for my desk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bbstormclockstand.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	14205
Old 12-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #15
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxloren View Post
I kinda like the "vibrate while in holster" mode.... I does save battery power. My storm is a battery hog! Anybody else experiencing almost a full discharge after maye 1 or 2 days? wow.. the cradle works great to recharge nightly. Is it "safe" to charge this thing overnight?
My battery lasts all day. I type about 30 - 40 emails, spend about 30 - 60 minutes on phone calls, and do some surfing. When I go to plug it in at night, I usually have about 1/3 - 1/2 of my battery left. I plug my phone in to charge at 8PM and take it off the charger at 6AM. It is okay to leave your phone charging for an extended period of time and is actually encouraged. Somewhere in the forums they believe the charger goes into a trickle charge mode which supposedly charges the battery more fully. I have always charged my phone this way and have always had good battery life with the same device that people say they don't have good battery life with. Your usage may vary but it works quite well for me.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
How did you set it up to enter bedside mode when charging and exit when removed from the charger? My screen automatically changes to the clock, but I still have to manually enter bedside mode.
Nevermind. I figured it out. Clock>Options>When Charging>Enter Bedside Mode.

It still would be nice to also have an option for Bedside mode to change sound profiles...
Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #17
iamanewuser

Carrier: Vodafone UK

My battery lasts a day max. But I do send upto 100 emails / texts per day.

I have been looking for a cradle, will have to find out if they ship to the UK.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
iamanewuser

Carrier: Vodafone UK

Best place for UK is probably expansys at about £25 for anyone interested.
RIM® BlackBerry Storm 9500 Charge & Sync Pod Description - eXpansys UK
Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #19
ishore

Default New profile

Quote:
I love the feature of the desktop cradle turning the phone into a clock and the whole "bedside mode" thing.

One question though: Is there any way to make the message alerts stop sounding when it is in the cradle in bedside mode? You can turn off the LED and dim the clock, and you can turn off the radio, but I want to leave the radio on so I can receive calls, but silence the message alerts.

I thought turning off the tones in "holster" would do this, but it doesn't.

If I turn it on vibrate mode, then I won't hear the phone ring if a call comes in. I guess I could set up a custom profile, but then I have to turn on bedside mode and set it to a custom profile every night (and undo both in the morning).

Is there a way to customize bedside mode so that it accomplishes this?

Why not set up a new profile that turns off the alerts at night but keeps your phone on.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #20
withanhdammit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Vancouver, USA (no, the first Vancouver, in Washington...no not DC, the state)
Model: 9700
PIN: check
Carrier: AT&T

Can you turn the clock on without connecting the charger?