Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
KrlzGmz

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Preventing phone use after security wipe

Please Login to Remove!

If an user loses his device and the password is entered wrong 10 times the device wipes itself and the password will be erased too so the phone could be used like new.

Is there any way to prevent security wipe from deleting the device password?*
Is there any way to disable security wipe? (Maybe finding and deleting the .cod file)

2 days ago my friend brought his 9700 for me to upgrade OS.
I used security wipe, then tried using BBSAK to wipe the OS and it asked for password.
Then I used AppLoder to install the new OS and it asked for password again.

Why didn't security wipe delete the device password this time?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
KrlzGmz

Default Re: Preventing phone use after security wipe

I hope views aren't individual because if 100+ people have read this thread and didn't have anything useful to post, I'm screwed.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

So, if I'm reading your post correctly, your "friend" found a device and you're trying to get rid of the password so you can use it like new?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
KrlzGmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
So, if I'm reading your post correctly, your "friend" found a device and you're trying to get rid of the password so you can use it like new?
Oh, boy. You sure didn't even read my post, did you?
So, according to you, I wiped the phone, deleted OS with BBSAK and reinstalled OS with AppLoader, all that WIHOUT knowing the password?

You need some Reading Comprehension 101 ASAP.

[Edit] Now that I re-read your post twice I felt kinda bad I replied this way.
You clearly know nothing about device password protection and security wipe.
I don't know how you got 10,019 post but I hope this is the first time you post with such kind of ignorance.

Last edited by KrlzGmz; 07-17-2011 at 11:33 PM..
Old 07-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
KrlzGmz

Man, it seems I'm heading to a dead end.

Is the "I don't read threads" guy all I am getting?
I'll post what I found on another thread to further elaborate on the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermEd
How can I set my password to unlimited retries?

I do not want people I do not know, to walk away and 'wipe' and effectively now 'own' my phone just by typing my password wrong 10 times.

I do not use third-party GPS tracking software - and well... you neglected to add such a basic feature. Wiping my phone wipes the software anyways.

I do not want the password disabled - because then they can wipe the phone from the menu.

How do I, as an end user, protect my 700 dollar investment when you do not provide me with the tools to do so?

In addition - I did try my best. I even posted a fix for other users on this forum for 4.5 - how to change the configuration files from a backup to force it to 255 tries. Which you promptly patched in the next release. I tried to contact you (direct and through my provider), and even offered 10,000$ cash to your product developers to add the one toggle feature. Only to receive nasty responses from you in return.

As a new hobby - I have started intentionally getting everyones passwords wrong that I run into Maybe after a few hundred people complain in my city about the feature the lazy dev team might decide to finally add a single option.

Last edited by KrlzGmz; 07-18-2011 at 03:45 AM..
Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

You don't seem to grasp that people may be a bit suspicious of what you are actually trying to accomplish, do you?

The fact you seem to have found a device and are trying to bypass a security feature combined with the arrogant attitude will not get you too far.......

Just sayin'
Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Ditto.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
KrlzGmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
You don't seem to grasp that people may be a bit suspicious of what you are actually trying to accomplish, do you?

The fact you seem to have found a device and are trying to bypass a security feature combined with the arrogant attitude will not get you too far.......

Just sayin'
Can you please point me to what part of my posts seems to indicate that I found a device a want to circumvent the security?
Just read the thread tittle: I want to PREVENT the phone from being used after security wipe, so NOONE can use it.

I'll try to explain my best here.

IF I got a passworded device, all I would need to do is enter the password wrong 10 times and I would get a brand new device, no problem. BUT my OP indicates I'm concerned about that flaw in the security. I don't want the phone to be wiped off if the password is guessed wrong, that would be like gifting the phone to a complete stranger.

I want it to have unlimited tries. Why would I, as a thief, want unlimited tries when with only 10 tries I get a new phone? I didn't steal the President's Blackberry, I didn't steal any Blackberry. MY blackberry was stolen, that's why I want to make sure the next time I get mugged, noone will be using my phone, no matter how hard they try.

I posted my concern on various communities, and this seems the only one having a really hard time to grasp that basic idea. I even quoted various posts that address the same concern from other forums, but you guys seems only focusing on what dc/dc said.

Neither of you have read any of my posts well enough to understand the situation, you only go ahead and try to "defend" your friend. Just because he has 10k doesn't give him the right to not read a thread and insult me saying I stole a phone.

Please, read my OP, read the posts I quoted, if after that you can't still grasp the idea, please say so and I will kindly leave this forum, but don't accuse of stealing anyone's phone just because dc/dc said so.

Last edited by KrlzGmz; 07-18-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Old 07-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

To answer your question, there is no way to set the phone to unlimited pwd attempts. The max is 10 and then it will wipe.

If you don't want anyone else to use it after it's been lost/stolen, contact your carrier and have it reported lost/stolen.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

KrlzGmz,

First, there have been plenty of posters in the past that pretended to have their devices stolen to get information on how to get the device to work for them. So please understand where long-time posters have their concerns.

As for your issue, there is NO WAY to change the wipe after 10 incorrect password entries. Even an IT Policy cannot do this. Basically, this is to protect your data on the phone, which in many's eyes is more important than the phone itself. The phone is wiped after the failed password attempts, therefore your data is safe.

As for what to do if your device is stolen? Report it to your carrier, they will blacklist the phone so that it cannot be used. That's all that you can do. You're doing the right thing by putting a password on it to begin with.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

KrlzGmz, it's a little humorous you accusing people of not reading your post, or not understanding your innocent reasons for asking. Particularly as you are by admission not ignorant when it comes to BlackBerrys. I don't buy any of it. The only part I don't get is why you thought members here would talk about security or ideas on how to defeat it. And don't start again with the if-you'd-only-read-my-post stuff. I read it all. I stick by my ditto that it is suspicious.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
KrlzGmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
If you don't want anyone else to use it after it's been lost/stolen, contact your carrier and have it reported lost/stolen.
I tried doing that when I lost my last blackberry but they said they could only block it from being used on that exact provider. Other provides were free to activate the stolen phone on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
KrlzGmz,
As for your issue, there is NO WAY to change the wipe after 10 incorrect password entries. Even an IT Policy cannot do this.
This IT policy subject is kind of intriguing. As I explained on my OP, my friend brought his 9700 for me to update it's OS.

I did a security wipe, and after the phone reloaded, it asked me for the device password. After that, I connected it to BBSAK and obviously asked for password. After wiping it with BBSAK I connected it to load the OS with AppLoader and it asked for the password too. Of course I managed to complete the process because my friend was present to enter the device password.

I was amazed how, after all I did to the device, it retained the device password throughout the whole process. I was led to believe an IT policy could be responsible for such perseverance of the device password, but have not found any information on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
KrlzGmz, it's a little humorous you accusing people of not reading your post, or not understanding your innocent reasons for asking. Particularly as you are by admission not ignorant when it comes to BlackBerrys. I don't buy any of it. The only part I don't get is why you thought members here would talk about security or ideas on how to defeat it. And don't start again with the if-you'd-only-read-my-post stuff. I read it all. I stick by my ditto that it is suspicious.
So you are saying:

1. I want unlimited tries to brute force a blackberry I stole/found.
2. I want to disable security wipe to, yet again, brute force a blackberry I stole/found.

It's sad how this community judged me while others communities felt this could be actually a good idea for non-hardcore blackberry users that care more about the value of the phone than the data contained in the phone itself.

I apologize if I acted rude or arrogant but I didn't expect to get such hate and lack of confidence from everyone in this forum.

It seems threads addressing this issue date to late 2008's so I'm probably not getting my answer here.
I thank everyone for their answers and concerns and for taking your time to read and reply to this thread.
Closed Thread