BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
Bakaa018

Model: 8700c
Exclamation I Need Serious Help

Please Login to Remove!

Hi. I'm purchasing a 8700c off of craigslist.com for cingular service for $175. I have a razr right now and I've always wanted this phone. I plan on just popping in the SIM card and using it from there. I know in order to use the email + internet I need the data plan, which I'm not to sure if I want to invest in yet. Can someone explain if I will need it for Blackberry messenger (what exactly is that, I have friends that use it all the time) or AIM? Secondly, the phone I'm buying from a guy is only coming with the phones charger -- no manual, software, USB, ect... Where can I get these things? I think I found the user guide on the blackberry website and I can most likely pick up a USB from cingular store, but do I really need the software? What software do I need to start up the phone or use it? Let me know where I can purchase the things that come in the box when you buy the 8700c. AH I'm stressed. Oh and I have a Mac, powerbook g4.

Last edited by Bakaa018; 04-10-2006 at 12:11 AM..
Old 04-10-2006, 12:02 AM   #2
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

I'm by no means an expert, but here's the quick scoop from my limited knowledge:

- Blackberry messenger or AIM will require a data plan, so you might as well go for the gold from the beginning and add it on.
- The software that's included is the RIM desktop, which you'll need if you ever want to install 3rd party apps, sync with your contacts/calendar, etc. I'm on a BES, so I know that I need it in order to even function...however, with BIS, you many not. I'll leave that to the experts on here.

In short, could you function? Sounds to me like you could. IMHO, though, I'd shy away from this unless you're getting an unbelievable deal on the phone.

As I said before, I'm no expert. But, for the sake of a speedy reply, take my opinion for what it's worth. If you can stand to wait, I would hold off until one of the experts on here lends some advice. It's worth its weight in gold.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
chrisnol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakaa018
Hi. I'm purchasing a 8700c off of craigslist.com for cingular service for $175. I have a razr right now and I've always wanted this phone. I plan on just popping in the SIM card and using it from there. I know in order to use the email + internet I need the data plan, which I'm not to sure if I want to invest in yet. Can someone explain if I will need it for Blackberry messenger (what exactly is that, I have friends that use it all the time) or AIM? Secondly, the phone I'm buying from a guy is only coming with the phones charger -- no manual, software, USB, ect... Where can I get these things? I think I found the user guide on the blackberry website and I can most likely pick up a USB from cingular store, but do I really need the software? What software do I need to start up the phone or use it? Let me know where I can purchase the things that come in the box when you buy the 8700c. AH I'm stressed. Oh and I have a Mac, powerbook g4.
You can get the BB Desktop Manager software (which is on the CD that normally comes with 8700) as well as the latest 8700 OS for Cingular at the link below.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4

Last edited by chrisnol; 04-10-2006 at 12:29 AM..
Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
awad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

^you cant use that software on a mac.

you'll need to get pocketmac for blackberry. luckily its free.

i would post the link for pocketmac for you, but im not allowed. so do a search and you'll find it.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:34 AM   #5
9balla4life
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Land where Blackburr's grow off trees....not sure yet
Model: 8120
PIN: 24760E78
Carrier: T-Mobile

My quesiton is not to offend anyone, just would like to understand why people get the BB without data plans. I never could understand why people would get a BB without the data feature. The only logical reason is that you want to have the PDA feature or maybe bc of the txt messaging... I don't know. To me they go hand in hand, it's like buying a car and not put gas in it bc you have a group of people willing to push the car to where ever pleases you. Has BB become a status symbol?

Anywho... BB messanger requires data but does not charge for txt, PIN to PIN messaging is a feature of the BB, it's like a camera on a camera phone. You can use it without being charged. As far as AIM goes, it uses both data and txt msging to deliver your message just like a normal txt msg. I could be wrong.

PS. There is a FAQ/Help icon on your device. If you're stumped click on the "help" icon and it will walk you there it. Oringinally it was annoying but I see now that it is easier this way bc who wants to carry around a 500pg manual? I know I wouldn't.
Currently using 8100 Pearl.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9balla4life
My quesiton is not to offend anyone, just would like to understand why people get the BB without data plans. I never could understand why people would get a BB without the data feature. The only logical reason is that you want to have the PDA feature or maybe bc of the txt messaging... I don't know. To me they go hand in hand, it's like buying a car and not put gas in it bc you have a group of people willing to push the car to where ever pleases you. Has BB become a status symbol?

Anywho... BB messanger requires data but does not charge for txt, PIN to PIN messaging is a feature of the BB, it's like a camera on a camera phone. You can use it without being charged. As far as AIM goes, it uses both data and txt msging to deliver your message just like a normal txt msg. I could be wrong.

PS. There is a FAQ/Help icon on your device. If you're stumped click on the "help" icon and it will walk you there it. Oringinally it was annoying but I see now that it is easier this way bc who wants to carry around a 500pg manual? I know I wouldn't.
When I had Cingular, I paid $500 for a 7290 so that I could have an easy way of sending SMS. I knew full well that nothing would work but the phone and SMS, but that was all I wanted. I eventually added BB service, but it hardly ever got upper case GPRS in my apartment (even with 4 bars of signal), so I dropped it because I saw no point in spending $45/mo. for a service that didn't work. I kept it as my main device until switching back to T-Mobile in November of last year.

I agree that anyone who bought a device thinking that they could use any data features without a BB specific plan is an idiot. They obviously didn't do their homework. However, there are people like me (I think, LOL) who buy a BB because they want a reliable phone and SMS device.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #7
cnc guy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C

if you didnt already purchase it,why not just go to your cingular store and buy a new one? i just bout my 8700c new last week from cingular $250.00 + $50.00 reabate.cant beat $200.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

Just fyi txt, pin to pin are not part of the bb. pin to pin are but not sms messages!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1790
Just fyi txt, pin to pin are not part of the bb. pin to pin are but not sms messages!!!
I have no idea what you are trying to say...
Old 04-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
Starz26
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon

Actually PIN to PIN is a txt message, email, whatever that is routed through the blackberry APN. You WILL need the blackberry data plane to utilize this.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
That's not exactly a correct analogy. The car in your analogy would have to partially work to be accurate. All I can say is that one size does not fit all and, thankfully, you can use the Blackberry as a phone/PDA without a data plan, use it only with BIS, or use it with BES. Options are always good even if you don't understand a particular option.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
alphasports
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers (CAN) / A1 (AUT) / Swisscom (SUI) / T-Mobile (USA)

I'm on my 4th BB and am quite content to have nuked my absurdly overpriced data plan. I travel a ton internationally and the only reason I ever got a keyboard based phone (3 BBs, then a Treo 650 which I got rid of as fast as I could, then a BB 8700) was to send text messages as a way of saving huge $$$ over roaming voice calls back home, plus have access to my Outlook stuff. I send/receive probably 200-300 msg's a month, and have never missed the data plan -- on a Canadian Rogers "unlimited" data plan they hit you with absurd overcharges above 25mb/mo, so you're screwed. People who "don't understand" those with no data plans need to pry open their eyeballs a bit... we're all on the same team! And by the way, Treos really DO sucketh bigtime!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

What I am TRYING to say is in response to balla4life saying that sms is free and part of having a bb, that's not true while using cingular, you have to pay for sms or have a txt plan. nothing is ever FREE, unfortunetly...
Closed Thread