Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
bagofhammers

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: smart
Default so let me get this straight - as i havent slept yet

Please Login to Remove!

I havent slept since 3am last night and its already 8am..im livid so bear with me..:D

my name is ann and im here in asia , last month my bf gave me a Blackberry 8320. I had no problems using it with the hotel wifi connection and the wifi at shopping malls..

I was excited to go home and set up my wifi router, i successfully have done the basics on my blackberry - scan for networks - connected to my router - but when i go on my browser it says unable to connect to the internet. It also says hotspot browser on the upper left corner and has a security/lock sign beside the wifi icon.

Upon looking at the manage connections area, it has a yellow icon.

I have already done everything, take out the battery, upgraded the firmware etc I also have put "hotspot browser" on the browser configuration.. but i still cant connect.

There are some forums regarding this but it is all questions and it seems most of the time the questions have no answers/no solution - except to get a BIS or monthly postpaid.

I dont need a monthly postpaid, I dont have a lot of people calling me hehe..just one person and we mostly communicate on chats and not on cellphone.

I dont want to pay for my internet bill and another bill for the internet on my blackberry, that seems stupid and nonsense.

Now my question is, there is really no way i can surf the net using my home router if i dont have a BIS or is there a way?

I am using smart prepaid simcard and smartbro internet. My router is fine and can connect 2 laptops and 1 wii.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day - any help/tips would be much appreciated.

i just wanna know if i should just give up trying to make it connect..
Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

You did not indicate you have a blackberry Data plan and I suspect this is the issue. Most carriers require one and block most functions. when it did work was it still on a plan? or was the WIFI router unsecure?

try this

Change your preferred network type
1. On the Home screen or in a folder, click the Options icon.
2. Click Network.
3. Change the Connection Preference field.
4. Press the Menu key.
5. Click Save.
Wireless network coverage troubleshooting
I cannot connect to a wireless network
Depending on your BlackBerry® device model and wireless network, this feature might not be supported.
Try performing the following actions:
xxx8226; If your BlackBerry® device uses a SIM card, verify that your SIM card is inserted in your device correctly.
xxx8226; If your device normally connects to a CDMA network and your device supports international roaming, verify that your device is in global
roaming mode and that your SIM card is inserted in your device correctly.
xxx8226; Verify that you have turned on the connection to the wireless network.
xxx8226; Verify that you are connected to your wireless service provider's network. If you switched wireless networks manually, your device
remains connected to that wireless network until you select your wireless service provider's network again.
xxx8226; If you have set a specific speed for wireless network connections, verify that you are in a wireless coverage area that supports the
connection speed.
xxx8226; If you have a Wi-Fi® enabled device and your wireless service provider supports UMA, verify that your connection preference is not set
to Wi-Fi Only.
Related topics
Turn off a wireless connection, 214
Switch wireless networks manually, 218
I cannot connect to a Wi-Fi network
Depending on your BlackBerry® device model, the Wi-Fi® feature might not be supported.
Try performing the following actions:
xxx8226; Verify that you have turned on the connection to the Wi-Fi network.
xxx8226; Verify that you are in a Wi-Fi coverage area.
xxx8226; If the Wi-Fi network does not appear in the Wi-Fi setup application and you know the network name, connect to the Wi-Fi network
manually.
xxx8226; Verify that the connection options in the Wi-Fi setup application are correct. If you have already verified these options, verify that the
advanced connection options for the Wi-Fi network are correct.

Last edited by tsac; 07-08-2010 at 08:11 PM..
Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack

More

About connecting to a Wi-Fi network
If you are in a Wi-Fi® coverage area and your wireless service plan supports it, you can connect to a Wi-Fi network so that your BlackBerry®
device uses the Wi-Fi network instead of the mobile network to send and receive email messages, visit web pages, and so on.
You can connect to Wi-Fi networks at home or at work, or to Wi-Fi networks available in public places, such as libraries, airports, hotels, coffee
shops, and so on.
If you have a wireless access point or router that uses Wi-Fi Protected Setupxxx8482;, you can connect to a Wi-Fi network using the Push Button Setup
method or PIN method.
You can also connect to hotspots. Your wireless service provider might provide an application for your device that allows you to log in to a
hotspot. If you do not have an application on your device, you might have to set up your own account online and log in manually.
You can connect to a Wi-Fi network without saving the connection information, or you can save the connection information in a Wi-Fi profile,
so that the next time you are within range of that network, your device connects to it automatically. You can also set up your device so you are
prompted to connect manually. When your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network, the Wi-Fi profile name appears at the top of your Home
screen.
Connect to a Wi-Fi network
By default, new Wi-Fi® profiles appear at the bottom of your Wi-Fi profile list.
If your device is associated with an email account that uses a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, your organization might prevent you from connecting
to a Wi-Fi network.
1. On the Home screen or in the Setup folder, click Set Up Wi-Fi.
2. Perform one of the following actions:
xxx8226; Click Scan for Networks. Click a network.
xxx8226; Click Manually Add Network. Type the network name. Click Add.
xxx8226; If you are using a network access point enabled with Wi-Fi Protected Setupxxx8482;, click Push Button Setup.
3. Complete the instructions on the screen.
4. On the Wi-Fi Setup Complete screen, perform any of the following actions:
xxx8226; To change the order of Wi-Fi profiles, click Prioritize Wi-Fi Profiles. To return to the Wi-Fi Setup Complete screen, press the Escape
key.
xxx8226; To specify registration information, click Wi-Fi Hotspot Login. To return to the Wi-Fi Setup Complete screen, press the Escape key.
5. Click Finish.
About Wi-Fi profiles
A Wi-Fi® profile contains the information that you require to connect to a Wi-Fi network. You can have more than one Wi-Fi profile on your
BlackBerry® device. For example, you can have one Wi-Fi profile that you use to connect to a Wi-Fi network at home and another Wi-Fi profile
that you use to connect to your organization's Wi-Fi network. You can also have Wi-Fi profiles that you use to connect to Wi-Fi networks in
public places such as community centers or libraries.
Your device tries to connect to Wi-Fi networks based on the order in which they appear in your Wi-Fi profile list.

Security options for Wi-Fi profiles
Security Type:
Set the security type that the Wi-Fi® network supports.
Select WEP key:
Set the type of WEP key for the Wi-Fi network.
WEP key:
Type the WEP key for the Wi-Fi network in hexadecimal format.
Pre-Shared Key:
Type the WPAxxx8482; Personal pass phrase for the Wi-Fi network.
User name:
If necessary, type the user name that you use to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
User password:
If necessary, type the user password that you use to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
CA certificate:
Set the root certificate that your BlackBerry® device should use to verify that it is connecting to the correct Wi-Fi network.
Client certificate:
Set the authentication certificate that your device should use to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
Inner link security:
If necessary, set the security protocol that the Wi-Fi network supports for its inner authentication method.
Use hard token:
Set whether you use a hardware token to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
Token serial number:
If you use a software token to connect to the Wi-Fi network, set the token serial number.
Server subject for certificate validation:
If necessary, type the server subject name that your device should use to verify that it is connecting to the correct Wi-Fi network.
Server SAN for certificate validation:
If necessary, type the server SAN that your device should use to verify that it is connecting to the correct Wi-Fi network.
IMSI:
If your SIM card has more than one IMSI, set the IMSI that you use to connect to the Wi-Fi network.

Change the order of Wi-Fi profiles
2. Click Wi-Fi Connections.
3. Highlight a Wi-Fi® profile.
4. Press the Menu key.
5. Click Move.
6. Click the new location.
Switch Wi-Fi networks manually
By default, your BlackBerry® device switches to an appropriate Wi-Fi® network automatically when you move between Wi-Fi coverage areas.
3. Set the Wi-Fi Selection Mode field to Manual.
4. Click a Wi-Fi profile.
5. Press the Menu key.
6. Click Save.
To connect to the first available Wi-Fi network in your Wi-Fi profile list automatically, set the Wi-Fi Selection Mode field to Automatic.
Prevent your device from connecting to a Wi-Fi network
4. Press the Menu key.
5. Click Disable.
To allow your BlackBerry® device to connect to the Wi-Fi network again, press the Menu key. Click Enable.
Delete a Wi-Fi profile
4. Press the Menu key.
5. Click Delete.

Install a root certificate on your computer
Depending on the Wi-Fi® network that you want to connect to, you might need to install the root certificate for the certificate authority server
that created the certificate for the authentication server. For more information, contact your administrator.
1. Download the root certificate from the certificate authority server to your computer.
2. On your computer, right-click the root certificate. Click Install certificate.
3. Click Next.
4. Click Place all certificates in the following store.
5. Click Browse.
6. Click Trusted Root Certification Authorities.
7. Click OK.
8. Click Finish.
9. In the Security Warning dialog box, click Yes.
If the root certificate contains multiple certificates, all the certificates are installed on your computer.
To install the root certificate on your BlackBerry® device, use the certificate synchronization tool of the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager to
synchronize the root certificate between your device and your computer.
Advanced Wi-Fi connection settings
Change a Wi-Fi profile
4. Press the Menu key.
5. Click Edit.
6. Change the Wi-Fi profile options.
7. Press the Menu key.
8. Click Save.
Wi-Fi profile connection options
Name:
Type a name for the Wi-Fi® profile.
SSID:
Type the Wi-Fi network name.
Band type:
User Guide Wireless network coverage

Set the Wi-Fi network type. If you do not know the network type, do not change this field.
Prompt before connection:
Set whether a prompt appears before your BlackBerry® device connects to the Wi-Fi network.
Allow inter-access point handover:
Set whether your device remains connected to the Wi-Fi network when you move between wireless access points.
VPN:
If necessary, set a VPN profile to use with the Wi-Fi profile.
Security options for Wi-Fi profiles
Security Type:
Set the security type that the Wi-Fi® network supports.
Select WEP key:
Set the type of WEP key for the Wi-Fi network.
WEP key:
Type the WEP key for the Wi-Fi network in hexadecimal format.
Pre-Shared Key:
Type the WPAxxx8482; Personal pass phrase for the Wi-Fi network.
User name:
If necessary, type the user name that you use to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
User password:
If necessary, type the user password that you use to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
CA certificate:
Set the root certificate that your BlackBerry® device should use to verify that it is connecting to the correct Wi-Fi network.
Client certificate:
Set the authentication certificate that your device should use to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
Inner link security:
If necessary, set the security protocol that the Wi-Fi network supports for its inner authentication method.
Use hard token:
Set whether you use a hardware token to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
Token serial number:
If you use a software token to connect to the Wi-Fi network, set the token serial number.
User Guide Wireless network coverage
Server subject for certificate validation:
If necessary, type the server subject name that your device should use to verify that it is connecting to the correct Wi-Fi network.
Server SAN for certificate validation:
If necessary, type the server SAN that your device should use to verify that it is connecting to the correct Wi-Fi network.
IMSI:
If your SIM card has more than one IMSI, set the IMSI that you use to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
Wi-Fi profile IP and DNS options
Automatically obtain IP address and DNS:
Set whether your BlackBerry® device receives a routable IP address, a subnet mask, DNS settings, and a gateway address from the Wi-
Fi® network.
IP Address:
Type the IP address for your device.
Subnet mask:
Type the subnet mask for the wireless access point to which your device should connect.
Primary DNS:
Type the primary DNS to which your device should connect.
Secondary DNS:
Type the secondary DNS to which your device should connect.
Default gateway address:
Type the default gateway IP address to which your device should connect.
Domain suffix:
Type the domain that your device uses to resolve host names into IP addresses.
UMA connection settings
About connecting to a Wi-Fi network for UMA
Depending on your wireless service provider, you might be able to make calls, send and receive email, PIN, SMS text, and MMS messages, and
visit web pages using UMA. Your device must be connected to a Wi-Fi® network to use UMA. For more information, contact your wireless
service provider.
You can connect to a Wi-Fi network without saving the connection information, or you can save the connection information in a Wi-Fi profile.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
bagofhammers

Model: 8320
Carrier: smart
Default hi

hello thank you for your reply

well i dont have any data plan for blackberry, all i have is a prepaid sim card that has sms, mms and call capability..thats about it.

is there a difference between my home router and those coffee shop (like starbucks), hotel and mall routers? i thought there is no difference :( it worked perfectly fine and i was able to surf youtube and check my email through the browser thing. i was expecting when i get home it would work the same upon connecting on my home wifi router.

am severely disappointed..

Last edited by bagofhammers; 07-09-2010 at 03:16 AM..
Old 07-09-2010, 03:48 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Wi-fi hotspots are unsecured so you can use them. Home wi-fi's tend to be secured, and require a password to connect to the router.
Some routers also use MAC filtering, so that only devices with their MAC address in the router can connect.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747

If the device worked(and i use the word loosely) at coffee shop with wifi but doesn't work at home with wifi, then there has to be something wrong/different with you home wifi setup.

Like MD already said... Wifi setups are NOT all the same. possibly some security setting perhaps or b/g/n compatibility issue.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofhammers View Post
hello thank you for your reply

well i dont have any data plan for blackberry, all i have is a prepaid sim card that has sms, mms and call capability..thats about it.

is there a difference between my home router and those coffee shop (like starbucks), hotel and mall routers? i thought there is no difference :( it worked perfectly fine and i was able to surf youtube and check my email through the browser thing. i was expecting when i get home it would work the same upon connecting on my home wifi router.

am severely disappointed..
You should just get a BlackBerry plan from SMART. Then everything will work as it should.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

If you don't see a need for a BB data plan, that's your call. Just be sure you know what will and won't work. Read this FAQ: What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 10-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
lystgl

Model: 8820
Carrier: cityfone

I'm way late on this but, if you haven't already figured it out, you definitely do not need a data plan to use wifi. I've been reading posts on this board for a while now and am amazed at how little many users posting here as experts actually know.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by lystgl View Post
I'm way late on this but, if you haven't already figured it out, you definitely do not need a data plan to use wifi. I've been reading posts on this board for a while now and am amazed at how little many users posting here as experts actually know.
Thanks for your contribution, but you're wrong. You DO need a BlackBerry data plan in order for a BlackBerry device to properly function, even on WiFi.