Old 12-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
ftgjr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default Blackberry Pearl or 8830?

Please Login to Remove!

I am debating whether to get the BB pearl or the 8830 from Sprint. I have read favorable reviews on both.

Since I have never had one before, I'm not sure which keyboard I would like best. I do have big fingers, so maybe the 8830 would be better in that category. Not that I use my RAZRs' camera much, but it would be nice to have a camera.

I will be primarily using it to keep all of my business contacts with me and take notes or add contacts when out in the field.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

I had both the best thing to do is going into the store and try both of them I have big hands and did not like the 8830 but that's just me..
Old 12-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
ftgjr

That was quick! Thanks.

I think I'm going to go to the Sprint and Verizon stores to fiddle around with them.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have both. It depends on the size which type of keyboard you want.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The main difference is the size and the keypad. For the Pearl, there are those that love SureType and those that hate it. Not many in between.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
ftgjr

I just came back from some last minute holiday shopping. While I was out, I stopped in by the Sprint store to compare both models. They didn't have the pearl on display because someone had stolen it, so I went a couple of blocks over to the Verizon store and they had both. After fiddling around with both models, I realized that the 8830s' keyboard is too small for my fingers. I kept hitting the next key (the treos' keys are a little easier to work for me). I tried holding it different ways to see if I could be more accurate but didn't have any luck. I then went over to the Pearl and found the keys to be easier (just had to get used to the suretype thing).

Now that I have made my choice, I have to decide if I want to stay with Sprint or go with Verizon. I've been happy with Sprints service but at their store, no one even asked if I needed help or had any questions. At the Verizon store, I was greeted by a salesperson as soon as I walked in. I can also get a better deal with Verizon. Sprint wants $549-75=$7=474 for the Pearl. Verizon is selling it for $250 and will take off $100 and give me 2 phones for my family. Even with Sprints early cancellation fee of $200, Verizon is still less expensive.

I can't believe how these companies treat longtime customers. I've been a Sprint customer for 9 years but won't work with me on the price.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
floz23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: storm
Carrier: Verizon

Verizon is the darkside. Yes, they own your soul, but there are many advantages, mainly, that it works, period.

-Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgjr View Post
I just came back from some last minute holiday shopping. While I was out, I stopped in by the Sprint store to compare both models. They didn't have the pearl on display because someone had stolen it, so I went a couple of blocks over to the Verizon store and they had both. After fiddling around with both models, I realized that the 8830s' keyboard is too small for my fingers. I kept hitting the next key (the treos' keys are a little easier to work for me). I tried holding it different ways to see if I could be more accurate but didn't have any luck. I then went over to the Pearl and found the keys to be easier (just had to get used to the suretype thing).

Now that I have made my choice, I have to decide if I want to stay with Sprint or go with Verizon. I've been happy with Sprints service but at their store, no one even asked if I needed help or had any questions. At the Verizon store, I was greeted by a salesperson as soon as I walked in. I can also get a better deal with Verizon. Sprint wants $549-75=$7=474 for the Pearl. Verizon is selling it for $250 and will take off $100 and give me 2 phones for my family. Even with Sprints early cancellation fee of $200, Verizon is still less expensive.

I can't believe how these companies treat longtime customers. I've been a Sprint customer for 9 years but won't work with me on the price.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
ftgjr

Actually, I just spoke with a Sprint sales rep on the phone and he said he could get me the pearl for $350 and I will get a $100 mail in rebate to bring it down to $250.

If you ask the right people the right questions, you get results!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Cool I got my wife the BB 8130 on VZW for $50.00.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
SheepDog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: ask if you need it
Carrier: Sprint

keep in mind that Verizon locks out some of the phones features unless you pay extra for them. Like GPS.

Sprint has a new dataplan now for $30 total that covers unlimited data, email, GPS with sprint nav or any other app you wish, unlimited text msgs also. I dont know what VZW charges for that.

PS: and for what it's worth I have left sprint twice over the years and never paid a cancellation fee. It really is all in who you kvetch too.

Last edited by SheepDog; 12-23-2007 at 06:07 PM..
Old 12-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:

I was at my local store today also and they don't have a 8830 or a 8130 on display. They only show a 8830 on request as the demo unit is a 8700 series. I asked on the pearl and they stated they can only get 3 in at a time and still haven't seen there first shipment as it is high demand. I am in the same boat as you. I like the idea of the bigger screen and full keyboard of the 8830 but like the camera and smaller sizeof the 8130. Which one is the best phone? I have read comments on background noise issues and poor RF with both is that true? I also am wonder how long before a q-chat blackberry or even a curve as I am coming from an I880.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #12
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan View Post
I was at my local store today also and they don't have a 8830 or a 8130 on display. They only show a 8830 on request as the demo unit is a 8700 series. I asked on the pearl and they stated they can only get 3 in at a time and still haven't seen there first shipment as it is high demand. I am in the same boat as you. I like the idea of the bigger screen and full keyboard of the 8830 but like the camera and smaller sizeof the 8130. Which one is the best phone? I have read comments on background noise issues and poor RF with both is that true? I also am wonder how long before a q-chat blackberry or even a curve as I am coming from an I880.
Haven't experienced any RF problems with my 8830. It gets a much better signal then my Treo ever got. I really wish Sprint would get their act together with BBs. You can't sell them, if people don't know you have them. I had to get my 8830 off the website as no store in my area had them.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Haven't experienced any RF problems with my 8830. It gets a much better signal then my Treo ever got. I really wish Sprint would get their act together with BBs. You can't sell them, if people don't know you have them. I had to get my 8830 off the website as no store in my area had them.
I am starting to wonder if that is the best thing for me to do. I only know of one close store near me most stores are Nextel/Sprint. Did you order it from the website? I am in a PCS area and can't order from sprints site it asks me to go to my local store.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #14
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I own a 8830 for verizon and a 8100 from t-mobile. Both phones have their strong points and shortcomings, I love the pearl form factor and camera. But I find myself either typing short responses or not answering emails altogether on the pearl, whereas the 8830 I type long emails frequently.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I had a Treo this fall for a few weeks and hated the RF so I went back to nextel. I have been holdingo out for a step up from the Treo. I wouldn't be looking at the BB's without the change in price plans. Neither of the phones 8130/8830 come with a holster correct? I watched a video on utube and it shows in one review the rubber keys on the pearl becoming loose and spongey anybody have this issue?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #16
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

NopeI use the heck out of mine and have not had a problem with the keys.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #17
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
I had a Treo this fall for a few weeks and hated the RF so I went back to nextel. I have been holdingo out for a step up from the Treo. I wouldn't be looking at the BB's without the change in price plans. Neither of the phones 8130/8830 come with a holster correct? I watched a video on utube and it shows in one review the rubber keys on the pearl becoming loose and spongey anybody have this issue?
The 8830 does come with a holster and I think the 8130 does too. The keyboard problem has been fixed with the 8130.(Its one of the improvements over the original Pearl)
Old 12-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #18
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
I am starting to wonder if that is the best thing for me to do. I only know of one close store near me most stores are Nextel/Sprint. Did you order it from the website? I am in a PCS area and can't order from sprints site it asks me to go to my local store.
I live in NJ and ordered it right from Sprint's website. I had it in 3 days.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #19
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

I got a chance to look at both at the verizon store as the sprint store had dumby phones. I found the size of the 8130 appealing and love the camera, but wonder if I am going to want the full keyboard down the road. I had the 7100 and didn't have issues with suretype but the store model was in ABC mode and i couldn't figure out how to get it to suretype mode so I could pratice typing. I found a store that has one of each so I need to make up my mind on by Dec 26th and hope they aren't gone.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #20
snsethy

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Actually, I just spoke with a Sprint sales rep on the phone and he said he could get me the pearl for $350 and I will get a $100 mail in rebate to bring it down to $250.

If you ask the right people the right questions, you get results!

I got a pearl for free...but it's on T-Mobile, but that doesn't matter to me since I live on a pretty major city on the east coast.
Closed Thread