Old 09-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default DST Updates - New Zealand and followup for North America

Please Login to Remove!

Two part question:

Anyone making any special plans for the upcoming DST changes for New Zealand later this month?

Anyone making any special plans for the end of the weird North American DST changes in November?

Assuming all the patches were applied as needed in Feb/Mar for the Spring-time DST change, there should be no changed required for North American users.

There are, however, new CDO files and Exchange/Outlook Calendar Tools for the New Zealand time zones. There's also a BES SQL update for the NZ changes that will update time zones to OS 4.2 and above devices (there are no patches for devices not running OS 4.2 and above).

Any other thoughts?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
Anyone making any special plans for the end of the weird North American DST changes in November?
The day before I plan to throw a penny into every water fountain I pass wishing and hoping the DST patch we deployed in March works.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
Ozzy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8707
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14 View Post
The day before I plan to throw a penny into every water fountain I pass wishing and hoping the DST patch we deployed in March works.

Hey Jibi whats up.

Yes we are. i called our Rep and he said Vodafone are waiting for a patch to send us..... still waiting

hahaha
Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2432499F
Carrier: ATT

New version of the BoxTone DST utility will be available shortly just in case all goes to hell with this stuff again :\
Boxtone
http://www.boxtone.com
Old 09-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

YAY! Thanks Jon!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

I have been scanning our BES domain every day since the DST fiasco for devices that do not have the patch and applying the DST sw config. I still see a few devices each day that need the patch, 8700's and Pearls mostly. I try to get these guys right away since each day someone is unpatched is a day they can schedule appts in Nov which will be wrong even after the patch is applied.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

All of my devices are patched for the N america update. As for New zealand, if we update the exchange server (Which I suspect we will) then I will update BES. I have no hard and fast plans in the works right now.
BES 4.1
Old 09-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
Two part question:

Anyone making any special plans for the upcoming DST changes for New Zealand later this month?

We're patching for New Zealand ... actually have customers that would be impacted.

Until we hear that the patch released earlier doesn't actually work for November we're not planning on doing anything for the NA change. Hopefully the patch from earlier actually worked and all doesn't go to hell ... but this month we're testing some more.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:02 AM   #9
Ozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
We're patching for New Zealand ... actually have customers that would be impacted.

Until we hear that the patch released earlier doesn't actually work for November we're not planning on doing anything for the NA change. Hopefully the patch from earlier actually worked and all doesn't go to hell ... but this month we're testing some more.
Hey hdawg

so whats your plan for NZ? and another question,, how come your working on NZ stuff does your compny have stuff in NZ?

Cheers
Old 09-10-2007, 01:21 AM   #10
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

heh, plan is going to be devised this week, but probably just following what MS & RIM say to do ... when we finish the plan I'll post it in this thread.

The company I work for does some Managed Services and we happen to have a few people customers based there.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 AM   #11
Ozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
heh, plan is going to be devised this week, but probably just following what MS & RIM say to do ... when we finish the plan I'll post it in this thread.

The company I work for does some Managed Services and we happen to have a few people customers based there.
Hey thanks for the reply.

So will RIM release a Patch for us guys in new zealand or will it come from our carrier Vodafone?

Also, what happened to the Patch for the US that got released did it not work too well?

Cheers
Old 09-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
Hey thanks for the reply.

So will RIM release a Patch for us guys in new zealand or will it come from our carrier Vodafone?

Also, what happened to the Patch for the US that got released did it not work too well?

Cheers
It wasn't so much that the patch for the BB went bad, it was the way it had to be implemented on Servers, desktops and BB's practically all at once. and for a lot of us, it was the first time using the application push feature in BES. there was a lot of unnecessary chaos that was ultimately the fault of the politicians who know nothing about technology. we all did the best we could to cope.
BES 4.1
Old 09-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #13
Ozzy

Hey

Thanks for the reply ladydi

so what was the process? can you run me though it? was this or Notes or Outlook?

Just got told then by our Vodafone REP that there is no patch for 7290 devies (which is the majority of our fleet!)

Can we not just get the users to change the time on there blackberry's?

or will that not work?

Thanks guys for any info
Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #14
dphsv

Model: 8700V

Quote:
Just got told then by our Vodafone REP that there is no patch for 7290 devies (which is the majority of our fleet!)

Can we not just get the users to change the time on there blackberry's?

or will that not work?

Thanks guys for any info
A FAQ will be on Vodafone website in the next few days that will give the full story. As you pointed out Ozzy, no software patch for 7290's - as well as 7100's and 7230's.

Their recommendation will be to manualy change the time on the unpatched devices - which of course means 4 changes between now and April.

However I don't beleive this solves the problem given calendar entries (in Exchange at least) use UTC + GMT Offset.

This is basically confirmed by the table in the RIM FAQ that suggests appointments will be out by 1 hr on unpatched devices.

Murphy's Law had already predicted that it was only our most two senior staff that would be affected. Doh!

Last edited by dphsv; 09-11-2007 at 09:44 PM..
Old 09-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #15
Ozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphsv View Post
A FAQ will be on Vodafone website in the next few days that will give the full story. As you pointed out Ozzy, no software patch for 7290's - as well as 7100's and 7230's.

Their recommendation will be to manualy change the time on the unpatched devices - which of course means 4 changes between now and April.

However I don't beleive this solves the problem given calendar entries (in Exchange at least) use UTC + GMT Offset.

This is basically confirmed by the table in the RIM FAQ that suggests appointments will be out by 1 hr on unpatched devices.

Murphy's Law had already predicted that it was only our most two senior staff that would be affected. Doh!
Ahh we have 80 7100's too

Ok, so if we go down the manual path of changing the time on the devices, will this interfear with when we do the update to our Notes enviroment?

for example, like calender entries?

Thanks for the info was good
Old 09-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #16
dphsv

Gee Ozzy you're in for a hard time alright!

The more I think about it, the more I reckon the actual fix is to set the Blackberry Timezone to "Nuku'alofa" i.e. GMT+13 for the first week of new DST, as that is what is happening in reality as opposed to the actual time changing.

In our Exchange environment at least, this would make appointments appear at the correct time, i.e. GMT+13.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:55 PM   #17
Ozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphsv View Post
Gee Ozzy you're in for a hard time alright!

The more I think about it, the more I reckon the actual fix is to set the Blackberry Timezone to "Nuku'alofa" i.e. GMT+13 for the first week of new DST, as that is what is happening in reality as opposed to the actual time changing.

In our Exchange environment at least, this would make appointments appear at the correct time, i.e. GMT+13.

Hey

Are you from new zealand?

"Nuku'alofa" is a good idea. Did you see the document Vodafone just put out?

All calander entry's that are in that period will have to be remade to pick up the correct time, obviously, just just double checking with this.

why isnt there patches for 7290's and 7100's!!!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:09 AM   #18
dphsv

Quote:
Hey

Are you from new zealand?

"Nuku'alofa" is a good idea. Did you see the document Vodafone just put out?
Hey Ozzy... I'm from RBNZ.

Just tried looking on Vodafone's site but couldn't find what you're referring to sorry....
Old 09-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #19
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2432499F
Carrier: ATT

UPDATE: The new BoxTone DST Utility will be available for download from our website on Monday the 17th.
Boxtone
http://www.boxtone.com
Old 09-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #20
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

So, as of now our approach will be to update our server OSs with the August 2007 cumulative time zone update for Microsoft Windows operating systems released by Microsoft

Exchange already has its update; so no need to update them (I can't speak for Domino though ... I'm just a user in that world)

Microsoft has a great blog on this:

New Zealand 2007 Daylight Saving Changes in addition to the Daylight Saving Time Help and Support Center

Then we'll do the following:

How to prepare the Blackberry Enterprise server for Microsoft Exchange to support New Zealand DST changes in 2007

How to prepare the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for IBM Lotus Domino to support New Zealand DST changes in 2007
How to update Blackberry Device Software Version 4.2 and later to support New Zealand DST changes in 2007

Any HH's that don't have the proper patch on them we're sending them to BlackBerry DST 2007 for patching ... and we'll do a software push for one offs.

Others?
Closed Thread