Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I'm having to actually check my email on my computer.

How old fashioned...
LOL! Old-fashioned, indeed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehilliard View Post
Management usually considers BB connectivity a Constitutional Right...
As do some end users, apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPotato1 View Post
I'm really getting sick of this....RIM's becoming as unstable as T-Mobile!
No, that's DANGER you're thinking of!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
I think its time to rethink RIM. Been a blackberry users for 6 years but the iphone is starting to look good now.
If you actually think the id10tPhone looks like a good alternative, you need to have your head examined!

But have no fear, when you become an Apple Zombie, I'll be ready to defend humanity! I'll be fully prepared, with my 12-gauge shotg... uh, *AHEM!* I mean ZOMBIE REPELLANT in hand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMRose View Post
here in the Baltimore/DC area since around noon.
Wow, how'd you get so "lucky"? It didn't go down for me until around 6:30ish. If it had gone down at noon, I would have run home on my lunch break and grabbed my laptop and my 3G broadband modem (which I would have been able to do since I was working only about 10 minutes from home!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I'd never get that drastic. I hate touchscreens. Oh, and I have no AT&T service where I live
That's a plus! I WISH we didn't have them here! One of my buddies has been with them since their days as Stinkular, and his service is LOU-SY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ilm4n View Post
Well this sucks rocks - no BES since 17:30 EST. The CEO wants to switch to iPhones - hard to argue if the BB service dies likes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Northern NJ
Sprint BIS

Email has come in sporadically all day.
No Browser, no BBM.
And no BBWeather!

The ultimate insult has been my wife with her iPhone getting all data services. She has no clue what she's doing, but she knows she's doing stuff that I'm not. RIM has had enough data outages lately that their uptime CANNOT be equal to the data provided by the carriers to non-BlackBerry devices. Their once-bulletproof services now looks like a slice of Swiss Cheese. Hey RIM - welcome to mediocracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazeat View Post
Screwed up on and off all day. T-Mo, WA, Curve 8900 using BIS. No email even over wifi/UMA.

I've been wanting to try an android device, I've had blackberries forever, but it's almost time to move on, even the new bb phones are feeling dated in comparison to the alternatives. And what's not to like about a phone that is so much more open? Java + BB Security stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
BIS - BlackBerry Intermittent Service.
You guys are all acting as if RIM was suddenly somehow as bad as DANGER. Trust me, they're NOT! You SERIOUSLY need to get a SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE here! Allow me to enlighten you all...

FACT: In March of 2005, only about 2 months after I switched from a Sidekick to a BlackBerry, Danger somehow managed to kill their back-end servers on a Sunday afternoon. Service was not restored until the following FRIDAY. That's right, a full WEEK without service for Sidekick users! T-Mobile issued all the Sidekick users at the time a $20 credit on their bills, and Danger also did a limited period where Sidekick users could download anything they wanted from the Sidekick Catalog for FREE. So that outage cost both companies a LOT of money!

FACT: In October of 2009, 4½ years after the March '05 debacle, Danger, now owned by MICROSOFT, implemented some sort of upgrade on their back-end servers. In the process, they somehow managed to completely HOSE said servers, not only wiping out the Sidekick data service for at least 2 WEEKS, but ALSO managing to DELETE all the personal data (address books, photos, etc.) from the Sidekick users' devices, data which is stored for the long-term only "in the cloud". So, as users turned their devices off and then back on, trying to restore service, they faced the ultimate horror of having all their personal data DELETED from their devices, data which most of them never backed up themselves (because the Intellisync software to do so costs extra for Sidekick users) and which Danger/MS had no backup of, either... or so it appeared at the time. SOME user data was eventually restored, but by that point, Danger and its Sidekick had sustained significant and irreparable damage to their reputation. The Sidekick's days are very probably now numbered.

By comparison, RIM's occasional outages (and let's face it, we really only have 2-3 a year, typically) are minor. We still enjoy 98-99% uptime on the BlackBerries. But that doesn't change the fact that a BlackBerry service outage lasting only HALF A DAY is such a big deal to people around the world, that it's reported on the nightly national news as if it were one of the signs of the Apocalypse!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiramRanger View Post
My blackberry keeps turning the radio signal off on its own. I'm on AT&T and have a Bold. As soon as I hit the send button it asks me if it wants to restore the radio connection. Is this happening because of the outage?
Maybe. Mine has been doing the same thing on T-Mobile. It's rather annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdef View Post
The WAP browser will work without a BB data connection. It uses apn/tcpip...

Works fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
You should be able to use Bolt, or Opera.
Hence why I posted THIS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
Here in MD, on T-Mobile, I've had only WAP for awhile now. All the BIS services have been down. Can't send or receive email, can't use the IM clients, can't use the BB Internet Browser. I'm posting this using Opera Mini, which is still working because it runs through the WAP data system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
How did most of you find out about the outage?

Dataoutages mail list?
Bingo. Their first few emails about the issue came through BEFORE my service went out completely at about 6:30 PM Eastern Standard Time. At the time, it seemed to only be affecting BlackBerry Messenger. But then my Official BB AIM client disconnected from AIM and could not reconnect. And it only got worse from there.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 12-23-2009 at 01:48 AM..
Old 12-23-2009, 01:46 AM   #162
jcr74

Model: 8330
PIN: Ask Nicely
Carrier: Verizon

Being that this has been my first blackout event as a relatively new BB user, I've gotta say that I'm somewhat astonished with the posts I've read on twitter and facebook about this event and how many people are "sick of RIM not having their act together" and so on. For the sake of the human race, I can only hope that these same folks are not or have not been procreating.

Seriously, your son or daughter gets a non passing grade in a subject in school and you're going to ship him off to that Super Nanny gal to get straightened up? That's what I've been gathering by all the comments of folks wanting to defect to the iphone... It's technology y'all...WOW! Biggest overreactions I've seen since the Y2K threat...
Old 12-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #163
mimeflu

Model: 8330m
PIN: N/A
Carrier: metro pcs

Still down after 4 hours. Venice, Ca.

Last edited by mimeflu; 12-23-2009 at 01:54 AM..
Old 12-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #164
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr74 View Post
For the sake of the human race, I can only hope that these same folks are not or have not been procreating.

Seriously, your son or daughter gets a non passing grade in a subject in school and you're going to ship him off to that Super Nanny gal to get straightened up? That's what I've been gathering by all the comments of folks wanting to defect to the iphone... It's technology y'all...WOW! Biggest overreactions I've seen since the Y2K threat...
I think you've hit nail on the head. THOSE people are not procreating, they don't have kids, and most of them are barely out of mama's wound as it is... much less out of her clutches.

You would think someone took away their PSP.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 AM   #165
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimeflu View Post
Still down after 4 hours
mine went out about noon time. I noticed cause I have AIM and Yahoo Messenger signed on 24/7. Noticed it wasn't signed in and wouldn't connect. Then noticed BBM wasn't working.

It's almost 11pm.

Longest ever.

Though I will admit, this happens maybe 1-3 times a year. Most of the time its a few hours. No biggie. Like someone mentioned, it still works 99% of the time.

People just like being negative and always want something to complain about.

However, I might add, sold 3 blackberries today, and it couldn't have been at a worse time!

I can't imagine all the back log BBMs i'll be getting when service comes back on! Haha
Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 AM   #166
drogers_7250

Model: 8130
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Wirelessly posted (7250 CrackBerry)

Looks like service is slowly coming back. Bell in BC.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #167
dr 997

Model: Tour
Default Still no connection in Central Coast California

Nothing
I do have 1XEV now, but no email/web yet.
I do agree that BB should give us more information. No explanation, no apologies. Poor customer service comes from complacency. Record profits? Not if you don't take care of your customers.

Last time this happened, there was no way for me to find out that the signal was restored. I called Verizon and they told me to wait it out. The next morning still no signal while the rest of the world was back on. I figured out later that I was supposed to resend the service books. Why don't they tell you these things?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #168
drogers_7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr 997
Nothing
I do agree that BB should give us more information. No explanation, no apologies. Poor customer service comes from complacency. Record profits? Not if you don't take care of your customers.

Last time this happened, there was no way for me to find out that the signal was restored. I called Verizon and they told me to wait it out. The next morning still no signal while the rest of the world was back on. I figured out later that I was supposed to resend the service books. Why don't they tell you these things?
Exactly!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:08 AM   #169
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

still nothing 11:09pm so cali. This is the longest I can recall it has been down since I've had a blackberry since late 90's
Old 12-23-2009, 02:11 AM   #170
mikadad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr 997 View Post
Nothing

How ya supposed to send the service books when your bb wont even connect to the app?? For att they removed it from the website, so I have to do it from the blackberry...
Old 12-23-2009, 02:24 AM   #171
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikadad View Post
How ya supposed to send the service books when your bb wont even connect to the app?? For att they removed it from the website, so I have to do it from the blackberry...
I'm on T-Mobile, and they have the option on their website... for all the good it does. I just tried resending the service books from their site. I get an error message: "Unable to send Service Books, try again later".

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #172
drogers_7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikadad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr 997 View Post
Nothing

Bell bis no longer has the option to send service books either so I imagine it was a rim thing.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #173
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I can't remember a RIM data outage that lasted this long either.

My last BBM message was around 12:45PM PST and my last email was around 2PM. I have gotten one or two stray emails since then but there are quite a few qued up in my gmail account so I wouldn't count them
Old 12-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #174
postman623

Model: 8900
PIN: I reserve my right to remain silent...

1135 in the Portland, Oregon area... Im on a Tmobile 8900... nothing... which is really nice, cause in my profession- we get case info sent from dispatch to our blackberrys- I understand they are working on the issue- but I should be getting updates from Rim... not a "we are not sure, but Rim says they are working on it" from the CS rep at Tmobile.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #175
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Good luck! RIM gives out outage information to their top support customers and carriers only. It's tough to get any information from them.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #176
sydneyk24

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default Outage

Very annoying but i'm glad it's not my phone and it's the service. Sprint user in Las Vegas. How often does this happen with BB's? Just got mine and not sure i'm willing to deal with this.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:42 AM   #177
micnav23

Model: 8310

I'm getting email service now in NY. I can send and rec emails on my BB. Anyone else?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:43 AM   #178
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Well, I just got a BES email that was only 4 minutes late. Maybe it's slowly coming back. No browsing yet.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #179
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491

I'm receiving BBM's from 2:00pm.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:52 AM   #180
micnav23

Model: 8310

I can't browse yet either. But I'm getting all my emails on BB right away.
Closed Thread