Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile UK
Default Unlock on "out of holster"

Please Login to Remove!

I have found how to answer a call automatically on withdrawal from the holster, and to lock on insertion BUT...

How do I make the Storm UNlock on withdrawal??
Old 12-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
jjd228
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

you cant
Old 12-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
StuartV

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

And why would you want to? What's the point of locking it and putting it in the holster, if you want it to unlock automatically? In other words, f you're going to put it in the holster, why bother to lock it first? It will automatically go into Standby when you put it in the holster (assuming it's a proper BB holster, with the magnet in it).
Verizon 9550
Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
recca
Thumbs Must Hurt

Is there anyway to NOT have it lock while it is in holster? I am a little annoyed everytime I have to unlock it when I pull it out of my holster.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
chasvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
And why would you want to? What's the point of locking it and putting it in the holster, if you want it to unlock automatically? In other words, f you're going to put it in the holster, why bother to lock it first? It will automatically go into Standby when you put it in the holster (assuming it's a proper BB holster, with the magnet in it).
I think you don't understand the wish. Why would you want it to stay locked when you remove it from the holster? I want it to lock and sleep when I put it in, and automatically unlock when I take it out! That way I don't have to manually unlock to use it... Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #6
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

If you are using a proper blackberry case, it will have a magnet in it. When you put your phone in that case it will automatically put your phone to sleep "and lock it" .. When you pull the phone out it will be ready to use and awake. If you lock your phone prior to putting it into one of these cases and pull it out, it will still be locked.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
jjd228

Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasvs View Post
I think you don't understand the wish. Why would you want it to stay locked when you remove it from the holster? I want it to lock and sleep when I put it in, and automatically unlock when I take it out! That way I don't have to manually unlock to use it... Makes perfect sense to me.
"locking" is a security feature. its NOT so you dont press buttons by mistake. do you understand this? so now do you see why you WANT it to stay locked when you take it out of the holster? think it through... if youre able to set a password to UNlock it, what does that tell you?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
chasvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
"locking" is a security feature. its NOT so you dont press buttons by mistake. do you understand this? so now do you see why you WANT it to stay locked when you take it out of the holster? think it through... if youre able to set a password to UNlock it, what does that tell you?
I understand the lock feature so lay off the sarcasm it just shows immaturity.

The locking feature is NOT just a security feature. It IS also to keep the buttons from being pressed in the holster or in your pocket. If it was ONLY a security feature, a Password would be REQUIRED and not an option. "Think it through" as you say.

Now back to the feature this thread is trying to describe....

Most of the time I take it out of the holster to use it, and pressing the unlock button is an additional step I could do without. Why not have an option to unlock on removal from holster? The same sensor that reacts to the magnet could react to the absence of the magnet and unlock (if no password) or bring up the password prompt.

Of course if there's a password, then the PW prompt would come up, or you could have that option disabled so there is no unlocking or PW prompt.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
soupandsandwich

Why not just turn off the "lock on holstering" setting?
If you're not using it as a security feature, then just put the thing it's holster and be done with it. No need to have it lock.
The magnet in the holster will put the device to sleep to prevent keypresses while holstered. When you remove the device form the holster, it won't be locked.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:19 AM   #10
spatch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Vodafone

Resurrecting this thread. I am running .141 and it automatically unlocks, and then opens any pending messages. Is there any way that I can stop it from unlocking automatically when removed from the holster.

Thanks,
Old 05-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
rlbagIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatch View Post
Resurrecting this thread. I am running .141 and it automatically unlocks, and then opens any pending messages. Is there any way that I can stop it from unlocking automatically when removed from the holster.

Thanks,
Yeah, I'm running .132 and it unlocks most of the time when I take it out of the BB holster.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatch View Post

Thanks,
This is the same for me. If you don't want it to unlock, then you just have to setup a Password. I haven't heard of any apps which can do that, but you can search here: BlackBerryApps.com : Your Update on the BlackBerry World
Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
scassel

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

The .141 BETA has a known "lock/unlock" issue. For directions to correct this issue, see the following link

How to Fix Lock Issue On .141
Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
spatch

Model: Storm
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by scassel View Post
The .141 BETA has a known "lock/unlock" issue. For directions to correct this issue, see the following link

How to Fix Lock Issue On .141
Not the lock issue I am talking about. I am asking about keeping the phone locked as it is removed from the holster. Plus the .141 version I am using is official from Vodafone, not beta.

Cheers,

Last edited by spatch; 05-12-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Old 05-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
scassel

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

Understood. After re-reading this post a couple of times, I do understand what you are trying to achieve. Because I am on a BES with an IT Password Policy in place, I have no such option. I hated the policy at first but came to understand that locking with a password is really the only true way to protect the information that either resides on or can be accessed through the handheld. With BIS service, this may not be quite as important but I think it merits consideration.

Just my two cents on the subject.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
dadofaayan

Model: 8350

I actually like the "unlock upon unholster" option.. but I didn't realize my BB was being locked/put to sleep when I put it in the holster. It's an Otter Box holster, so I'm pretty sure it should automatically put it to sleep.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #17
Bigs125

I have the opposite problem. I lock the phone, place in holster, and it unlocks upon being removed from the holster. I want it to stay locked and can't get it to happen.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #18
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigs125 View Post
I have the opposite problem. I lock the phone, place in holster, and it unlocks upon being removed from the holster. I want it to stay locked and can't get it to happen.
When you say "lock" do you mean just in standby mode or with a password protect?

Why would you want it to stay in standby when you remove it from the holster?
Old 07-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
Bigs125

By "lock" I mean the standby mode of lock (no password) you access by pressing the button on the top left of the phone. I want the lock to stay on as I often take the phone out of the holster and put it on my desk, so I like it to stay locked until I need to use the phone. It used to stay locked on a prior OS but since I upgraded to 4.7.0.148, it unlocks. I'm getting used to it now, but liked that it stayed locked.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #20
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany

It would have been a strange design to leave it "locked" when unholstering it IMO. People unholster something to use it as a general rule. e.g when I it on my desk I leave it in the holster primarily because its better protected. In your case its one button press away to relock. Maybe suggest to RIM a setting for it.
Closed Thread