Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation ANNOUNCED AT WES 2009: New BB "Alpha 1" BT Headset! ^_^

Please Login to Remove!

I just discovered THIS ARTICLE at the Boy Genius Report, and I'm quite surprised that no one's talking about it yet! RIM, it would seem, will be releasing a BRAND NEW BlackBerry Bluetooth headset, possibly as soon as this month or sometime in July!

Here's the details:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Genius Report
New Bluetooth headset
  • Codenamed "Alpha 1"
  • Black with chrome BlackBerry logo (text is omitted)
  • Dedicated on / off switch
  • Dial / hangup button
  • Over the ear loop design with ergonomically molded in-ear bud, slightly smaller than both the Jawbone PRIME and barely larger than the BlueAnt Q1
  • Noise cancellation technology
  • Emphasis on ease of use and simplistic design
  • microUSB charging port (the new standard for all RIM devices)
  • Ability to listen to music (mono) and listen to voice command-enabled GPS navigation apps
  • Possibility of text to speech and speech to text sometime in the future
  • "Competitively priced"
When discussing how well the Alpha 1 fits in the ears compared to competitors, (RIM’s Antoine Boucher, Vice President, Accessories Integration) told us that the Alpha 1 is as good if not better than any headset currently on the market but was careful to note the reality which is that it’s impossible to design a headset that will fit everyone perfectly. In fact according to Boucher, who worked closely with a company who specializes in all things audio, there are 30 distinct shapes of human ear and means a lot of work went into designing a headset that can accommodate the most common shapes within the population.
So, anyone else excited about this?

I'll admit, I've never used the previous BlackBerry Bluetooth Headset model. I've been perfectly happy with my Jawbone. BUT... Aliph has changed. They no longer seem interested in making a Jawbone headset that can fit MY ear, as both the Jawbone 2 and the new Jawbone Prime won't stay on my ear. My Jawbone won't last forever, and will eventually need to be replaced, so maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll find that the Alpha 1 will make a better replacement than the current Jawbone models!

Anyone else have any thoughts on this announcement?

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 06-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I'm with you...the specs on this sound very interesting and like what I'm looking for. I have the Plantronics Voyager 855 and while I do like it, it's a tiny bit too heavy and therefore doesn't stay "seated" as well as I need it to. I find myself constantly readjusting it. I've been on the hunt for a bluetooth with noise cancellation and the ability to stream music. I am anxious to see what this will end up looking like. Thanks for posting...I had not seen on BGR.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation

Thanks to a new report, which was posted yesterday by TechFresh.Net , we FINALLY have our first picture of the BlackBerry "Alpha 1" Bluetooth Headset! Here it is:

But STILL no word on pricing or availability. RIM has obviously missed their original target date of July... we're now half-way through August, and the "Alpha 1" still hasn't shown up on any store shelves, at least not as far as I've heard, anyway.

Also mentioned in the article is RIM's Bluetooth watch they're working on, but the final appearance of that accessory still remains a mystery, as the article just reuses the same image of a Sony Ericsson MBW-100 with a PhotoShopped logo that's been floating around the web for the last 2-3 months.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:53 AM   #4
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Question

OK, so where the hell is this blasted thing? It's now SEPTEMBER... and October is rapidly approaching. And I still have yet to see the "Alpha 1" in any retail stores in my area, and I've seen no mention of it being available online, either. What gives?!?

EDIT: Decided to check out BlackBerry.Com, and RIM has FINALLY given the "Alpha 1" an official page on their site, along with an official name and a price: It has been officially designated the BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-500 and is "coming soon" for a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of $79.99. Click on the name to go to the official page on BlackBerry.Com, where the only thing you can do right now is sign-up for an email update when more info (hopefully the on sale date) is available.

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 09-21-2009 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: Added additional info
Old 09-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Scarlett
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

I too have been anxiously awaiting this earpiece. As a woman with small ears it is difficult to find one that is comfortable. I've had all three Jawbones and if I get it in just the right position the fit is "okay". The price isn't bad either. Thanks for the updated info.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
I too have been anxiously awaiting this earpiece. As a woman with small ears it is difficult to find one that is comfortable. I've had all three Jawbones and if I get it in just the right position the fit is "okay". The price isn't bad either. Thanks for the updated info.
No problem.

But still, no one has answered the $80 question: WHEN CAN I BUY ONE?!?!?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

I bet it's getting closer.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation BlackBerry Bluetooth Headset HS-500 is NOW AVAILABLE!!!

Today is the day I've been waiting for...

THE BLACKBERRY WIRELESS HEADSET HS-500 IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!

I just received an email a little bit ago from the folks at ShopBlackBerry.Com. Here's what they had to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopBlackBerry.Com

ShopBlackBerry Accessories Product Reminder

October 5, 2009

Greetings Jack Chance,

We have added quantities of the BlackBerry® Wireless Headset HS-500. This product is now available for purchase on shopblackberry.com.

You can click the "Buy Now" button below to be automatically transferred to the check-out page to purchase this accessory. Or click this link to be redirected to the product description page.

Thank you for your interest and have a great day!

Sincerely,
The ShopBlackBerry.com Team
Unfortunately, money's really tight for me for the next week and a half, so I can't order one right away.

Therefore, I now expect one of YOU to order it immediately, and post your thoughts here for the rest of us to see!

Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

It really is a nice bluetooth unit... good battery life, great audio on the music and easy to use. I'd equate it to the JawboneII in size and weight. It comes with three different sized earbuds and two over the ear loops. I've used it with the loops and without, both work.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
It really is a nice bluetooth unit... good battery life, great audio on the music and easy to use. I'd equate it to the JawboneII in size and weight. It comes with three different sized earbuds and two over the ear loops. I've used it with the loops and without, both work.
You are one lucky guy, you know that? I've been waiting for this thing since July, when it was originally supposed to be out!

So, how's the noise cancellation when compared to competing headsets such as the Jawbones?

Old 10-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

By no means have I done any scientific testing, or side-by-side testing, but I have noticed my callers comment a couple of times they heard wind noise if my driver's window is down.

I like the dedicated on-off switch, and I like the MicroUSB charging port... one less charger I need to have handy.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:38 AM   #12
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
By no means have I done any scientific testing, or side-by-side testing, but I have noticed my callers comment a couple of times they heard wind noise if my driver's window is down.

I like the dedicated on-off switch, and I like the MicroUSB charging port... one less charger I need to have handy.
Aye, that it will... especially when I'm traveling. A few weeks ago, I took a trip to Seattle, and due to limited outlets in the hotel room my girlfriend and I stayed in, I could only plug in my BlackBerry OR my Bluetooth headset, not both at the same time. So I had to alternate chargers, and charge the 2 at different times. If I'm gonna have to do that, might as well at least be able to do it with the same charger.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Unhappy

I'm very disappointed that almost no one else is interested in talking about this headset. I guess I'm the only one that's really interested in knowing if it's worth buying.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
sting

Model: 8220
Carrier: rogers

Does this headset receive SMS, email or instant messages?

I really need one that does all of the above, hoping this is the one!

Thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

headset doesn't appeal to me. Think i'm going to go with the plantronics 975
Old 12-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
headset doesn't appeal to me. Think i'm going to go with the plantronics 975

why can I never get an answer to my question? I'm willing to wear a chunk of wood on my ear if it will do what I need it too do!

My Nokia would give my all notifications thru my blue tooth headset, my friends iphone does it.........how do I get my BB to do it?

How, I ask again how?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting View Post

why can I never get an answer to my question? I'm willing to wear a chunk of wood on my ear if it will do what I need it too do!

My Nokia would give my all notifications thru my blue tooth headset, my friends iphone does it.........how do I get my BB to do it?

How, I ask again how?
I have no clue what you are talking about.

How does one get a text message through there bluetooth headset? It reads it off to you?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #18
sting

Quote:
I have no clue what you are talking about.

How does one get a text message through there bluetooth headset? It reads it off to you?

Ha ha, but no.

I work outdoors and wear heavy clothing as a result I would like the "notification alert" to be heard through the blue tooth device. My phone will make a tone when a new message arrives but it cannot be heard through the bluetooth headset?

As said above my old Nokia would do that and the iphone does that, just need this BB to do that.

Once I hear the alert I will get out the phone to read the message.

Thanks

Last edited by sting; 12-11-2009 at 07:32 PM..
Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #19
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting View Post
Ha ha, but no.

I work outdoors and wear heavy clothing as a result I would like the "notification alert" to be heard through the blue tooth device. My phone will make a tone when a new message arrives but it cannot be heard through the bluetooth headset?

As said above my old Nokia would do that and the iphone does that, just need this BB to do that.

Once I hear the alert I will get out the phone to read the message.

Thanks
Never had a headset that's done that. And i've used quite a few. Just about every motorola, and a handful of plantronics headsets.

List of headsets that do that feature would be really small I would think.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #20
sting

Quote:
Never had a headset that's done that. And i've used quite a few. Just about every motorola, and a handful of plantronics headsets.

List of headsets that do that feature would be really small I would think.

Seems its a feature the BB doe not have, my Nokia would do it and so does my friends iphone. Oh well looks like I will have to change my hardware, really liked the BB up until I discovered this short coming.

Thanks,
Closed Thread