Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 03:23 AM   #1
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 8700 mp3 quality myth? -

Please Login to Remove!

My specs for all of my mp3 ringers are around 18-26 secs long. I keep them all at 128kbps - Audio: 44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo. 128kbps CD Quality Audio (profile in soundforge)
...they sound clear as day . I tend to like getting full use of the stereo sounding speakers from the 8700. Downside..each file size is around 300-490k. Maybe i'll have less amount of ringers? But to be honest every ringer I have sounds very crisp. ( as I believe all ringers should). Better than listening to something that "sounds like a ringer". I'll be walking casually somewhere and whenever my ringtone goes off for an sms/email/phone call I literally get people that react by dancing, staring, or just commenting like "sheesh, you got a little boombox there!". I use soundforge to basically cut my mp3s to a specific length of any portion of the song/mp3 that I want. I'm a tad bit confused on why most people here make their ringers such low quality? I'm using coolservice for uploading when i'm done.

Anyone else using high quality mp3 ringtones? I absoltely love them.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
Proaud

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialekt
My specs for all of my mp3 ringers are around 18-26 secs long. I keep them all at 128kbps - Audio: 44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo. 128kbps CD Quality Audio (profile in soundforge)
...they sound clear as day . I tend to like getting full use of the stereo sounding speakers from the 8700. Downside..each file size is around 300-490k. Maybe i'll have less amount of ringers? But to be honest every ringer I have sounds very crisp. ( as I believe all ringers should). Better than listening to something that "sounds like a ringer". I'll be walking casually somewhere and whenever my ringtone goes off for an sms/email/phone call I literally get people that react by dancing, staring, or just commenting like "sheesh, you got a little boombox there!". I use soundforge to basically cut my mp3s to a specific length of any portion of the song/mp3 that I want. I'm a tad bit confused on why most people here make their ringers such low quality? I'm using coolservice for uploading when i'm done.

Anyone else using high quality mp3 ringtones? I absoltely love them.

Your encoding is high quality. I wont argue that!

It's the old saying in the recording industry "crap in, crap out"

I use a Pro Tools HD system that can sample sound at 24 bit at 192 KHZ. I also use a 192 digital to analog converter by digidesign.

When I sample audio at 192 KHZ and then dither it down to 24 kbps and use an algorythm that I wrote the software code to, I can get a 24 KHZ sample to sound like it was a 128k .MP3.

Another thought...When you use a stereo file through the mono speaker of a 8700 for example, you get phase errors which cancel out different frequencies from 1KHZ to 16 KHZ. A stereo file will work, but if you are after quality through a mono system the audio HAS to be dithered down. You cant just convert.

I have been a audio engineer for 13yrs and work with ESPN, CNN, and also have the audio of a motion picture under my belt. The main thing for me is quality. Some of the ringers people send to me I am limited in what to work with."crap in, crap out". Coolservice also compresses the audio as it is converted/posted. You have to write MIME setting on the server side to correct that. I have yet to see this with coolservice.

Bottom Line: You can use a stereo file, and yes it can be 400k. If you are doing all of this on your computer and you have installed great software, keep in mind, the software is only as good as the sound card or analog to digital converter you are using.

Pin: 3013987E

Last edited by Proaud; 07-10-2006 at 07:32 AM..
Old 07-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: T-Mobile

i'm interested in trying a different method. Let me know what I can do within the means of soundforge to perhaps re-encode my ringers.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Proaud

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialekt
i'm interested in trying a different method. Let me know what I can do within the means of soundforge to perhaps re-encode my ringers.

I am not that familiar within the soundforge arena. Someone else might be able to help you better.

I would be more than happy to encode them for you and either post them or send them back to you?

Pin: 3013987E
Closed Thread