Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon
Default SMS Issue With 5.0.0.230

Please Login to Remove!

I know this is a beta but.....After very few issues for the last two weeks I have run into one. When I select a contact and select the SMS option, all I get is a blank screen with the contact at the top. I am unable to enter text. The email and mms options work fine. Whats odd is I have not had this issue for the last two weeks. Tried the battery pull with no change. Any thoughts?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmz View Post
I know this is a beta but.....After very few issues for the last two weeks I have run into one. When I select a contact and select the SMS option, all I get is a blank screen with the contact at the top. I am unable to enter text. The email and mms options work fine. Whats odd is I have not had this issue for the last two weeks. Tried the battery pull with no change. Any thoughts?
I've decided to go back to .65. Thanks for the views but the beta is just not worth it to me. I'll wait for an official version...probably sometime in 2012!!

Last edited by stevenmz; 12-20-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Old 12-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I am not experiencing your problem with SMS and am running what you see in my profile. I am not sure I am clear with what you discovered with this threaded version.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
I am not experiencing your problem with SMS and am running what you see in my profile. I am not sure I am clear with what you discovered with this threaded version.
The issue started after a full week of stable performance. If I clicked on a contact and selected SMS i would get a blank 'text' field with the contact listed at the top. I could not type anything in the text field. Not the end of the world for me. I was convinced the last upgrade I did improved voice quality (probably my imagination) so I'm content for now.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Good luck then. Hopefully we will see a more stable release soon

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
indramx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Indosat

hi stevenmz, i use 5.0.0.230 for long time, and I have no problem with that ... i love this 230..
Old 12-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indramx View Post
hi stevenmz, i use 5.0.0.230 for long time, and I have no problem with that ... i love this 230..
I am having the same success you are having. Another user had a similiar complaint however. i am inquiring which OS that person is using

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Joe1004
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW

I have experienced this issue and one where the SMS conversation freezes somewhere other than the current time you are on. You also cannot see what you type if you try. Also, I occasionally get the SMS alert tone for someone but there is no new SMS and when I check with the person, they did not send one.

Each time this has happened to me, I have done one of two things. Either use Alt-S to see the messages the old way and delete old messages in the conversation OR do a battery pull.

I am wondering if long conversations gobble up a lot of memory and cause this behavior. With the conversation style, I sometimes forget how long the conversation is and have 6 or 7 days worth of SMS in one conversation. In the past, I would always delete the previous day on the current day.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:05 AM   #9
bbpearlflint
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: T of Guinness please

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1004
I have experienced this issue and one where the SMS conversation freezes somewhere other than the current time you are on. You also cannot see what you type if you try. Also, I occasionally get the SMS alert tone for someone but there is no new SMS and when I check with the person, they did not send one.

Each time this has happened to me, I have done one of two things. Either use Alt-S to see the messages the old way and delete old messages in the conversation OR do a battery pull.

I am wondering if long conversations gobble up a lot of memory and cause this behavior. With the conversation style, I sometimes forget how long the conversation is and have 6 or 7 days worth of SMS in one conversation. In the past, I would always delete the previous day on the current day.
I've started noticibg this very same issue within the last week or so myself, VERY annoying! I have found that if I am in the sms inbox and cannot see a message, if I attempt to compose a new message to the same person, I am able to get back to the message. I still delet the thread though. I'm just upset at having this issue after months of stability!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
bbpearlflint
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Just thought I'd post an update. Af
ter having to erase my text threads almost three times a day, I bit the bullet and completely wiped and reloaded my tour. That was two days ago and, though there have been times that it has slowed down, which was something it would do before it froze, I haven't had anymore issues (yet). I'm keeping my fingers crossed though...
Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
nem0

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I had this happen a few times. Usually if I hit the escape button, then go back to my address book and try to send an SMS again, it works -- though sometimes it takes a third try to kick in. I'm not sure why there's a problem, but at least I don't have to do a battery pull every time.

I've also had better luck going into my messages, bringing up the menu, and selecting "Compose SMS Text." That usually works on the first try.

Mind you, I'm running one of the BBHybrids builds on top of 5.0.0.303, but I had the same problem running a vanilla build of 5.0.0.230, so while YMMV, it seems to be a persistent problem in the 5.x builds so far.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
bbpearlflint
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

The answer I got from verizon tech support was that the 5.0 OS has a limited amount of space allocated for text msgs and when that limit is reached, the phone doesn't know how to handle it.

Also, apparently there was an email sent that warned of this and warned that RIM wasn't supporting .230 due to this. I never got it but I did decide to go back to 4.7.181. I know remember what I didn't like about this device or at least this OS... Oh well, time for patience I guess.
Closed Thread